Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2010, 14:40   #1  |  Link
eTiMaGo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 57
BD50 burn freezes playback

I got my hands on some inexpensive DL BD-R discs and messed around with re-ripping a couple of movies to burn to these.

I used the latest AnyDVD HD to rip to folders on the HDD then burned them with ImgBurn, pretty standard procedure.

But, with several titles, I have a problem whereas the playback just stops at a certain point, and gets extremely jerky. I can skip forwards a few chapters and it continues to play fine.

I thought this was a layer break issue, but I'm not convinced, for instance with 2012 it happens at about 55 minutes, and this is a rather long movie, I'm doubtful the layer break would be so early?

BTW the discs have been tested with 3 different BD players. One PS3, a Sony BD360 and a Philips BD3000. On the ripping/burning side, I am using an LG BH10LS30. I could get my hands on a friend's Pioneer BDR203 in the next few days for testing.

I tried a different technique for ripping, by using ImgBurn to create an ISO, then burning this, and somehow this made some movies work, but not others.

It *might* be a disc quality issue, these are CMC, but I've had very little problems with their BD25 discs. I don't really want to waste any more money by burning more expensive coasters, hence my posting here to see if anyone may have some advice! TIA!
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 15:22   #2  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman
 
Sharktooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Haddonfield, IL
Posts: 11,768
cheap discs are always a source of problems.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 00:21   #3  |  Link
rotty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 518
Verify

Hi eTiMaGo

Just out of interest, is the VERIFY box ticked on imgburn.

If it is ticked, do you get any error report(s)

If it isnt ticked, its worth ticking it just to see what happens.

BTW your right to try a different burner.

Ive never tried a DL BD.

Cheap disks are mostly not cheap in the end.

Hope you find the answer.
rotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 17:22   #4  |  Link
Ghitulescu
Registered User
 
Ghitulescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
BTW the discs have been tested with 3 different BD players. One PS3, a Sony BD360 and a Philips BD3000. On the ripping/burning side, I am using an LG BH10LS30. I could get my hands on a friend's Pioneer BDR203 in the next few days for testing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotty View Post
Just out of interest, is the VERIFY box ticked on imgburn.
It doesn't matter too much, the LGs are very good readers, so a BDR can be read back by the writer it burned it ("good" for LG) but it may not be readable neither by Matsushita nor by LiteOn (the optics inside the standalones), so "bad" for others.

It doesn't hurt either, to have Verify checked, it helps finding the bad batches or brands.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 13:10   #5  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 723
I've not done a lot of BD burning, but if the principle is the same as DVDs or CDs then verifying the disc after burning is for the most part a complete waste of time.

A disc in your burner may verify fine, but the quality of the burn may be poor enough to give a standalone unit problems. Verifying will really only tell you whether a disc has a section which the drive can't read at all. If the quality isn't good it'll probably drop it's read speed as it verifies. So unless you watch the verification progress to confirm the drive can verify the whole disc at full speed, and even then, a verification only means the quality is somewhere between completely unreadable and perfect.

I assume the CMC discs are fairly cheap? CMC aren't known for producing high quality DVD blanks, although whether it applies to Blu-ray discs or not I don't know. And some burners just play better with some brands of discs than others. Maybe just buy a few blanks of another brand to see if it makes a difference.
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 13:18   #6  |  Link
mrr19121970
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
On the ripping/burning side, I am using an LG BH10LS30
I too have this burner an the same problem with both TDK and Verbatim BD-R 50gb. I now burn only at 2x and verify, and even though the verify works the PS3 sometimes (not always) objects.
mrr19121970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 18:41   #7  |  Link
rotty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 518
Verify

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherid View Post
I've not done a lot of BD burning, but if the principle is the same as DVDs or CDs then verifying the disc after burning is for the most part a complete waste of time.

A disc in your burner may verify fine, but the quality of the burn may be poor enough to give a standalone unit problems. Verifying will really only tell you whether a disc has a section which the drive can't read at all. If the quality isn't good it'll probably drop it's read speed as it verifies. So unless you watch the verification progress to confirm the drive can verify the whole disc at full speed, and even then, a verification only means the quality is somewhere between completely unreadable and perfect.

I assume the CMC discs are fairly cheap? CMC aren't known for producing high quality DVD blanks, although whether it applies to Blu-ray discs or not I don't know. And some burners just play better with some brands of discs than others. Maybe just buy a few blanks of another brand to see if it makes a difference.
Verify was just out of interest, I was interested if it failed rather than if it passed. As you say, if it passed it dosent mean its going to work on another reader, but if it failed then he knows for sure theres a problem.
rotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 11:39   #8  |  Link
rek1978
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9
Hello guys!!

I am dealing the same issues.Had any of you found a solution i am having the LG BH10LS30 and player LG BD570.
Please let us know any workarounds.
rek1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 21:47   #9  |  Link
quartex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 38
it happens to me sometimes
Have you tried last firmware?
quartex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 10:09   #10  |  Link
rek1978
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9
Hello quartex

Have you got the bd570 player for playback and the bh10ls30 recorder for recording????
My player and my recorder are upgraded to the lastest firmwares (bd570 325.C,Bh10ls30 1.00-09).
My main problem is at dual layer disks which are skipping when there is a layer change???
I am using MAxell and PAnasonic BDRs and BDRE dual layer disks 50GB.
I will try also some Verbatim which i ordered from ebay
rek1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 23:16   #11  |  Link
jediknight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 47
i have the same problem, how i can solve this ? please help me..

thanks,
jediknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 08:01   #12  |  Link
Ghitulescu
Registered User
 
Ghitulescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,548
I own myself a BH10LS30 and used only with BD-RE. No problems at all, both in a Pioneer BDplayer and in a LiteOn drive. Your BD570 uses an LG-made drive, thus quite error-tolerant. The layer break should be "transparent" (unlike for DVDs). I know it will takes ages, just try 1x (like it was the case years ago with the first doublelayer DVDs or decades earlier with the CDRs).
Since I assume it's all about bad burning, why not use a testing software like cdspeed, to see if there are zones in yellow (corrected errors) or even red (uncorrectable errors)? If your burner will find such zones then it's more likely that your BD player will find them too and strike. Other BD players might be even less error-tolerant.
__________________
Born in the USB (not USA)
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.