Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 2nd December 2002, 00:54   #1  |  Link
wicked2000

backing up laser disc ?

i ever wondered if i can backup my laserdiscs in good quality ... the only way i see is capturing the video from the svhs out with a good capture card ...

is there a better way ?
wicked2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2002, 12:02   #2  |  Link
DJ Bobo
Encoding Dinosaur!

I don't think so.
DJ Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2002, 20:24   #3  |  Link
wicked2000

i have seen laser disc roms around the internet ... from games... so there must be a way to extract them digitally...

hum
Old 11th December 2002, 21:25   #4  |  Link
DJ Bobo
Encoding Dinosaur!

How was that?! LaserDisc ROMs, from games?! I have never never heard from any gaming console working with LaserDiscs!

LaserDisc is analogic, so no way to "extract it" digitally! only the sound *can be* digital, the video is *always* analogic.

Just forget it mate! you've got to capture them with a capture card!
Old 11th December 2002, 22:41   #5  |  Link
wicked2000

http://www.atarihq.com/coinops/laser/

http://www.arcademania.de/Arcademani...agonsLair.html

u can find lots of stuff about laserdisc games dude...

www.google.com is a search engine...might help you

the game "dragon's lair" (and others) is available in emule ... i wont post a direct link due to copyright restrictions

how can a computer game be copied analogic ????

the emu for playing ld games is called daphne
Old 11th December 2002, 23:54   #6  |  Link
DJ Bobo
Encoding Dinosaur!

It's a first for me to hear about LD games! well, they were for arcade, that's normal I never heard about it.

I play since over 15 years, and my very first console was an atari and I saw all types of Nintendo, Sega, Commodore & NexGen computers, but never ever heard of a game console having games on LD so I was right after all

Anyway, I think you can use LD, as a tape. Tapes can also carry data, and they can be analogic too.
LD is analogic, you've gotta live with it, you want to backup? capture it! no way around!
More information about LD can be found here: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~leopold/Ld/FAQ/

For me, the discussion is over here!
Old 12th December 2002, 00:08   #7  |  Link
wicked2000

well .. the discussion is over for you cause u got the worse arguments...

laserdisc is digital... the quality is even better than DVD ...

from your page:

"Durability. LDs are read optically. They will last forever if you treat them well." ...

like a cd... DIGITAL! not analogic!

magnet tapes are analogic ...

indiana jones and some other movies have been ripped from laserdics ...

http://www.isonews.com/ lists some of theme ...

where are the arguments that there arent any devices to get the data digitally ? u never heard of laserdisc games.. i showed them to ya ... u never heard of digital outputs from a player ... how could the laserdisc games get into internet ... with a capture card ?
Old 12th December 2002, 01:54   #8  |  Link
RadicalEd

Quote:
Originally posted by wicked2000

Quote:
from section 6.3 off the link bobo just posted
DVD does have better picture quality than LD. Period. There is no need to argue over this

and you're wrong. LaserDisk does not store video digitally. It never did, it never will. It clearly states in that article that mpeg-1 is crap, and there was no such thing as mpeg-2 back then. There was no DV and there was no special LD codec. There simply were no good digital alternatives to analog video at that point. The fact that LD could store digital things such as digital audio or video games has nothing to do with the fact that there were no digital video LDs
If it were possible to read off a laserdisk directly into the computer, I can't understand what the difference between that and capturing would be save for the fact that it was being read externally. Either way it would still have to 'capture' the video so to speak, there is no way to rip LD video.
RadicalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2002, 02:51   #9  |  Link
smiller667

Quote:
how could the laserdisc games get into internet ... with a capture card ?
Yes. Precisely. As for what's better, LD or DVD, I won't enter the discussion, but there are DVDs that look worse than their LD counterpart. Bad transfer/encoding will ruin even the best medium (be it DVD or LD).
As for how video information is stored on LD, try this thread: http://md-l.amulation.com/archive/200204/msg00007.html

Edit:
Quote:
how could the laserdisc games get into internet ... with a capture card ?
I misread that as "how could LD MOVIES get onto the internet?" ... guess I should have gone to sleep earlier .

Last edited by smiller667; 13th December 2002 at 04:19.
smiller667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2002, 21:52   #10  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

Quote:
Yes and no here. Laserdiscs are an analog technology stored digitally. They are not a true digital format. A laserdisc is closer to a VCR then a DVD in some respects. Simply the format of storage is different. There is no file to be used like a DVD has. It cannot be copied in any way, but analog. Lines blur with things like this, but in reality laserdiscs are considered analog, because the underlying format that is used is analog regardless of the media used to transport that format. The more digital aspects of a laserdisc is more due to the technology around it then the format itself. Also later in it's life AC-3 a "Digital" audio format was added to the "analog" second channnel left of the disc.
Consider this too. Is the new JVC digital VCR analog or digital? It uses tapes like a regular analog VCR so it's analog? No it's storage is digital using magnetic type media.

Second part of quality. Well here is a strange point. Since laserdiscs are not compressed and analog they can be better and worse as well. Ever seen a scratched or even just dusty laserdisc? Does just what a scratched phonograh record does huh, shows it's analog nature and unintended noise shows up in the picture in the form of snow like artifacts. A clean laserdisc can look very nice indeed and much better then any VHS tape. A well encoded DVD can look even better, but a laserdisc since it it not compressed does not suffer from mpeg blocks. However a well done DVD has very few.

This line by smiller667 sums it up best:
Bad transfer/encoding will ruin even the best medium (be it DVD or LD).

Right now I own both a large collection of laserdiscs (over 400) and a large collection of DVD's (Over 240). I have some duplicates and I choose to watch them on DVD without fail. The video quality of these duplicates is close to the same if not better on the DVD. If you consider that I choose my duplicates wisely and even if slightly scratched a DVD can pass it without a problem (heavy scratches need not apply). while even a piece of dust will give that snow effect on a laserdisc.

I have seen the arcade games of Dungeon Lair and in fact played it myself. I have never seen a home version of it for the home laserdisc player. There was a version out by Nintendo I think years ago, but it may have been someone else.

I love my laserdisc, but to say DVD's are always inferior is plane wrong.

Ok now that, that part is over back to your questions. The Rom's are actual copies of the code used in the chips that are used in conjunction with the laserdisc. They are completely seperate animals and have nothing to do with each other, but work together. One is not stored on the other and vice versa. The Roms in essence are the game itself(brains etc..) and what you see on the screen from the laserdisc is the video representation of what is going on.
I have a friend that retores old arcade games and he had that one go through his door. Parts are pretty expensive and very hard to find.

Now original question. That is the only way to get the video. I am doing the same thing. I just bought the Xcapture card to try it. All those Star Wars DVD's (original series) are all laserdisc copies and conversions to DVD.

Mark

Last edited by markrb; 12th December 2002 at 22:17.
markrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2002, 22:45   #11  |  Link
wicked2000

thanx for the explanations ...now i know better ...
but i just have to add 1 thing ... the star wars copies (divx, svcd) around (at least the german ones) have been captured through DVB ...

in germany digital premiere word can be captured through the scsi port of the d-box (the digital receiver) ... the bios has to be flashed and after u can record videos in uncompressed rgb ...

...well i just asked this capture question because i have a laserdisc i want to capture ... in february i will have access to some nice avid capture machines and i thought there might be a better way to get the picture...but if not i know what to do ...