Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > DV

Old 10th November 2002, 09:08   #1  |  Link
OvERaCiD23

Changing MS DV Codec settings

I've read through some of the old posts in this forum and read that the MS DV codec is set at half-resolution by default, resulting in crappy-looking DV while editing. I thought something was weird b/c in Premiere and watching DV in BSplayer, the video looks horrible; when I watch it in WMP9, it looks nice and crisp, as it should (i'm assuming b/c I have DV settings @ their highest in WMP9). How do I go about altering the codec settings so when I'm editing in Premiere the video is of higher quality? (or if the information I read about half-resolution is wrong, disregard this message).
OvERaCiD23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2002, 17:25   #2  |  Link
jruben4

I've been trying to figure this one out too - the MS DV Codec seems set at 95% quality when I try to export from premiere. I'm not sure how much reduction this really is from the 100% quality setting on capture, but it does increase the export time to many hours. I haven't found a good answer - but people have recommended using VDub to edit the DV AVI's - you can do a straight export which shouldn't adjust the quality settings.

Let me know if you figure out how to edit the quality setting in premiere (for export).

-J
jruben4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2002, 21:19   #3  |  Link
OvERaCiD23

I figured it out, although I'm sure there is a more direct way. While playing a DV clip in BSplayer, I went to filter options and opened up the DV codec settings. it was in fact set to half, so i set it to full resolution and hit "save as default", now Premiere provides high quality renders while I'm editing (FINALLY!).
Old 11th November 2002, 23:41   #4  |  Link
jruben4

I don't see "filter options" with BSPlayer 0.85 - what menu is this under?
Old 12th November 2002, 08:03   #5  |  Link
bb

You can use Windows Media Player, too (V6.4). Open your clip, and while playing or pausing, select File / Properties. Then move over to the Advanced tab to change the settings.

bb
bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2002, 20:50   #6  |  Link
theReal
Piper at theGates of Dawn

Quote:
You can use Windows Media Player, too (V6.4). Open your clip, and while playing or pausing, select File / Properties.
I'll never understand why MS doesn't provide that function in WMP 7 or 8.
It's essential for me (for all different kind of codecs), and so it's the main reason I don't use any WMP above 6.4
Old 12th November 2002, 23:38   #7  |  Link
jruben4

Apparently you can't install WMP 6.4 with XP... Install program says a version that is compatible with XP "will be posted soon on the microsoft website".

-J
Old 13th November 2002, 00:28   #8  |  Link
theReal
Piper at theGates of Dawn

Isn't WMP 6.4 already installed with XP? I thought it was somewhere in the Windows directory, called mplayer32.exe or mplayer.exe (I haven't yet been able to confirm this myself because I'm using Win2k)
Old 13th November 2002, 01:15   #9  |  Link
OvERaCiD23

WMP8 is embedded into XP. it also has the original media player, mplayer2.exe i believe. as for BSplayer and the options, you want to right click on the movie while it's playing, and towards the bottom of the pop-up window there is "properties". it's under there.
Old 13th November 2002, 07:15   #10  |  Link
bb

Quote:
Originally posted by theReal
Isn't WMP 6.4 already installed with XP? I thought it was somewhere in the Windows directory, called mplayer32.exe or mplayer.exe (I haven't yet been able to confirm this myself because I'm using Win2k)
On XP you'll find WMP 6.4 in the \Windows\system32 directory; the filename is mplay32.exe. The same is true for Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000.

My advice: right-click on an AVI file (eventually while holding the Shift key, depends on OS), then select "Open With", browse to the mplay32.exe, then check the checkbox ("Always..."). This way you'll always open AVIs through the (better) Windows Media Player 6.4.

bb
bb is offline   Reply With Quote