Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd March 2002, 12:56   #1  |  Link
tangent
Ogg + Vorbis + XviD

Choppy playback of Xvid encodes

Anyone else experiencing choppy playback? I've tried both XviD and DivX fourcc, but they both give me the same playback problems. It's okay on my new XP1700 PC, but on my P3-450, there is video pausing and skipping after every few seconds, when I previously had no problems with other types of encoding. It seems like there is no problem when there is no audio stream. My container format is Ogg, not sure if that is part of the problem.
tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2002, 12:58   #2  |  Link
Koepi

The ogg might be an additional reason.
But usually the bitrate is too high so your CPU can't catch up with it.

Later we might implement a low-pass (and a highpass ) bitrate to give the possibility to prevent that.

Regards,
Koepi
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2002, 13:36   #3  |  Link
tangent
Ogg + Vorbis + XviD

It's definitely not the bitrate. I had no trouble with 2CD DivX4 encodes before, and I was playing back a 1CD XviD rip (of a 2h15 movie).

I'll try and see if I can determine if it's the Ogg container
Old 2nd March 2002, 13:49   #4  |  Link
Acaila
Retired

I also have that playback problem, but (at least in my case) it's not related to ogg at all. Because the video-only avi file plays exactly the same as the final video+audio ogg file.

Changing FOURCC of the XviD movie doesn't solve it either. And both WMP and PowerDivX have it.
Acaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2002, 16:05   #5  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

All of my encodes average between 750-1175 for bitrate use. All the movies playback smooth as silk for me, doesn't matter which player I use either.

By chance do you guys have the Morgan Stream filter installed? I've seen wide spread reports that it causes choppy playback. It's worth checking I suppose.
Old 2nd March 2002, 20:52   #6  |  Link
philippas
∏→+∞

For me if i use media player 8 the playback of ogm files is choppy but when i use media player 6.4 the files are playing perfectly.
Also powerDivx 3.12 has the same problem with ogm files as wm8.
philippas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2002, 22:00   #7  |  Link
Actron
Xvid + Ogg + Vorbis = :-)

in my experience windows media player 6.4 is still the fastest and best player....just stick with it
Actron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2002, 22:33   #8  |  Link
wing1

Choppy playback

same problem here with K6-433Mhz. Divx3.11 or MPG4v3VKI have no problem playback; However, if bitrate rises above 140K/S then I'll see the same problem. As for xvid the bitrate never goes beyond 125K/S for me, but I still have choppy playback problem. Anyway, desktop CPU are dirt cheap so that would not be an issue at all. 1.1Ghz AMD goes for about 75.00USD which is more then affordable. The problem is the darn notebook. You can not simply upgrade the CPU ( or can you? ). A decent notebook with 900Mhz+ CPU goes for about 1400.00+ USD, which is way the heck to high for just simply playback tool.
wing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2002, 22:49   #9  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

I've yet to understand why people still use WiMP as the player of choice. Clearly other players such as BSPlayer and ZoomPlayer has much more flexibility and just as fast as WiMP. So this begs the question...why use WiMP? Because you have for 3 years now? Your comfortable with it? Please....time to break out of the shell guys

Hope this doesn't come off as a rant..but hopefully more of an eye opener

EDIT- It's still to early to talk about it...but wait until PowerDivx4 is released. Good stuff!
Old 3rd March 2002, 00:15   #10  |  Link
NeVeRLiFt

WMP v6.4 works fine for me.
Old 3rd March 2002, 01:37   #11  |  Link
Stabmaster-Arson

I too use WMP 6.4, I dont really like it much it doesnt have much features, but it always worked good and I never had anyone recommend a better one. But I degress.
I ripped 3000 miles to graceland dvd, no audio, 645 MB, and I too have very choppy playback when I full screen it or stretch it to the screen edges. I have Pentium 3 800. when i run it in small window it plays finem but of course is nog od for watching. res is 512 x 204.

13:04:45, Mar 1, 2002 is the build im using.
I used 2 pass, 1st pass quality, 2nd pass INT method, Bitrate payback delay 720 frames, high bitrate 25% low bitrate 25%(default) (default)
No credit encoding options, motion search precision ultra high, H.263,
min and max klf 10/300, min and max quantizer 1/31, FourCC used Xvid.
Stabmaster-Arson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2002, 02:14   #12  |  Link
Koepi

While reading that "high" payback delay one idea came to my mind:

lowering payback delay to 1,2 or 3 times your FPS should result in a way better playback performance (when WMP still buffers 5 seconds of video...).

Just an idea.

Regards,
Koepi
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2002, 05:08   #13  |  Link
Emp3r0r

Well shoot, i already mentioned it in the wrong thread but same problem here guys with my old p2 400. I need to find, what 200+ bucks to upgrade? I'm a poor college student I tell ya who wishes his 1 CD xvid encodes that are married to vorbis would play fine in his dandy ogg media streams. Guess ghz is finally becoming a minimum requirement.
Old 3rd March 2002, 07:40   #14  |  Link
tangent
Ogg + Vorbis + XviD

Tried WMP 6.4 and having the same problems too (in fact, it's even worse than BSplayer)
Old 4th March 2002, 07:34   #15  |  Link
Gaia

Just countinue using Divx fourcc.

Yesteday i tried new Nic's fourcc in daylight and watched movie from monitor. First i loved the results but then tried it again with TV and total darkness. You couldn't see any difference beetween Divx fourcc and Nic's Fourcc!

I have only p3600 eb and i am not going to upgrade soon because i don't play games anymore. Nic's fourcc needs to be rewriten or optimized. I am not going to buy new cpu just to be eable to use stupid post prosecessing. Currently Nic's filter uses way too much processing power. I can use any post processig settings in Divx fourcc without any problems. And yes, even brightness control currently uses way too much cpu processing power.

Always then you compare picture quality you should use TV and be in total darkness. You can't see most of the blocks in bright room, it's very important.
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2002, 09:23   #16  |  Link
Stabmaster-Arson

I will reencode the movie using all same settings, except payback delay of 72 fps and see what happens.
Stabmaster-Arson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2002, 09:57   #17  |  Link
Nic

Ok,

Gaia: You could be a tad more grateful & supportive? No?

Anyway should be alot better soon,

-Nic
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2002, 10:26   #18  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

@gala
it's EXPERIMENTAL! if u don't like experiment, don't use xvid! behave

@nic: competition is always good to consumers lol
avih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2002, 10:57   #19  |  Link
Gaia

Sorry Nic, i didn't mean your fourcc is crap or anything like that. I respect your work a lot I am very gratefull what you have done for Xvid

avih i like to experiment, have done it a lot recently.

It just that i have only p3600eb and got choppy playback especially in higher bitrate movies. I didn't use deringing. Tested a lot different settings and compared to Divx fourcc, i couldn't see a big difference but i didn't have any playback problems no mater what post-processing settings i used.

Anyway i am very much looking forward to version that works good on older cpu's too. It's very sad if Xvid is going to be Coded for only fast cpu's.
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2002, 11:17   #20  |  Link
Nic

Im sure it will get alot quicker....im not great at assembler....So probably ill update it as much as possible & make it as clean & as simple as possible, then give the source to the hardcore MMX/SSE coders. After there through with it, it will probably go like a rocket

Cheers,
-Nic
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote