Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th February 2002, 19:32   #1  |  Link
dvwannab

Time Based Corrector

Hi gang,

New to the forum . I need your help

What are the capabilities of a Time Based Corrector? More specifically, I have vhs tapes that are probably 3rd or 4th generation copies. The video is somewhat out of sync, blurred, etc (not smooth). Will a TBC correct some or all this. Thanks.
dvwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2002, 19:48   #2  |  Link
Scuba

Yes.
A good TBC fixes errors in the analog signal.

How good job it can do depend on how bad is the original material.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2002, 19:56   #3  |  Link
dvwannab

TBC

Hey thanks Scuba.

Do you know of any that you would recommend? I did a search and found one by Data video. They have a TBC-1000 in a PCI version or stand alone. Goes for about $295 stand alone.

Cheers.
Old 1st March 2002, 03:51   #4  |  Link
bpjenn

Consider the Canopus ADVC-100 Converter for about the same price as the TBC. You can use it to convert from analog to DV (into a firewire port) or go into it analog and go out anolog into your capture card. I've used it on some old home movie captures that would normally drop many frames when I went direct to my ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon, now only a couple of frames will drop-even after a long capture. I'm not positive, but I believe it will keep your audio in synch with your video, even in analog to analog mode. I did not have any synch problems. The specs indicate that it locks the audio with the video. I've used the DataVideo TBC-1000 and it works great too. www.justedit.com/press/advcships.php3 or www.videoguys.com/datavid.htm
bpjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2002, 17:03   #5  |  Link
dvwannab

Thanks for your replies and help.
Old 3rd March 2002, 12:04   #6  |  Link
Scuba

I will go with a stand alone TBC.

The canopus is NOT a TBC. it's a Analog/DV convertor.
It will enable you to capture from analog source using a Fire Wire card but will not fix signal problems.

The Use of TBC go beond the capturing process. It's recomended by some on any analog output, Even if using a BetaCamSP deck.
It can fix frame drops on the original video (to a degree), do color corrections and some times more.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote