Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 31st December 2017, 10:42   #1  |  Link
takenori

PC requirement for reading UHD Bluray disc

so, after browsing thorugh amazon, i found an affordable external (my pc doesnt have optical slot) uhd drive (BDR-XD06J-UHD)

the description states to us review the hardware compatibility, and i though i got okay but before i spent the money i download cyberlink advisor to make sure. and i got incompatible result

i already enabled intel sgx (from software controlled to enabled) and alllocation 128MB automatically for something but cannot manually input the value
and installing intel ME.

but the advisor shows the same albeit, it now informs me to install intel ME (which i already had).

pc:
i7 7700k
16GB ram
gtx 1080ti
msi m7
currently connected to a fhd display through hdmi (with cable probably from my old ps3)
i wonder, do i need to connect to a 4k display with the required cable specification to get them passed?
Attached Images

takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 16:14   #2  |  Link
ocean

Hi takenori, 4k display with HDR is required, the video path must be protected CPU (iGPU INTEL HD 630)+ SGX mainboard + drive compatible Blu-Ray UHD.
I do not know mainboard MSI M7 if it is compatible, read the point (C) with attention, user Triffid on Bluray.com has created a list:

(A) Ultra HD Blu-ray compatible motherboards with HDMI 2.0
All requirements met - HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 & Intel SGX are here. Please note that the boards without the word "confirmed" were not tested yet. The 100 series MBs probably do not support HDR. Other motherboards with HDMI 1.4 may partially work too (without HDR). UHD BD playback via DisplayPort is untested, but Intel suggests it is possible.

ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming ITX/ac (UHD BD compatibility confirmed by flashback8)
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming ITX/ac (UHD BD compatibility confirmed by CyberLink; download HDCP key from ASRock support page)
ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming ITX/ac (UHD BD compatibility confirmed by nilsman; Kaby Lake support since BIOS P7.10)
ASUS Z270 WS (UHD BD compatibility confirmed by yungtruth84 at forum.redfox.bz)
ASUS Z170 Premium (Kaby Lake support since BIOS 3007)
ASUS Z170 Deluxe (Kaby Lake support since BIOS 3007)
Biostar Z270GT9 (update BIOS to version Z27AF222 or later)
Biostar Z270GT8 (update BIOS to version Z27BF407 or later)
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI (UHD BD compatibility confirmed by Pioneer)
Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9 (UHD BD compatibility confirmed by Pioneer; update BIOS to version F3 or later)
Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 (UHD BD compatibility confirmed by me; update BIOS to version F4 or later)
Supermicro C7Z270-PG (download SGX utility from Supermicro support page)
Supermicro C7Z270-CG (UHD BD compatibility confirmed by Steiger Dynamics; download SGX utility from Supermicro support page)

(B) Motherboards that may be compatible
The manufacturers do not provide enough information about the products on their websites. Not a big chance that the Chinese boards are equipped with HDMI 2.0 though.

EVGA Z370 Classified K (HDMI 2.0 yes, not yet released)
Supermicro C7Z370-CG-IW (HDMI 2.0 yes, not yet released)
ASUS Z170 WS (HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 yes, SGX unconfirmed, Kaby Lake support since BIOS 3002)
Gigabyte X170 Extreme ECC (HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 yes, probably no SGX)
Colorful iGame Z370 Vulcan X (specs missing)
Colorful Battle Axe C.Z370M-DH (specs missing)
Colorful iGame Z270 Ymir Ultra (specs missing)
ECS Z370-Lightsaber (not yet released)
ECS Z170-Claymore (HDMI 2.0 yes, HDCP status unknown)
ECS Z170IU-C43 (HDMI 2.0 yes, HDCP status unknown)
Maxsun iCraft Z370 Gaming (not yet released)
Maxsun Z270 Gaming Pro (specs missing)
Maxsun Z170MD4 Turbo (specs missing)
Soyo Zeus Z370 eSport (not yet released)
Soyo Gaming Z270 (specs missing)
Soyo Z170D4W+ (specs missing)

(C) Other Z370, Z270 and Z170 motherboards on the market have HDMI 1.4 only (incl. all MSI products). Few HDMI 2.0 boards by Gigabyte were removed from the list because of the lack of SGX support.
Intel X99, X299, AMD AM4 and all other sockets & chipsets are not compatible.

If you can confirm your board supports UHD BD playback, let me know and I will add a note.

UHD BD drives
Pioneer BDR-S11J-X (internal)
Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK (internal)
Pioneer BDR-211UBK (internal)
Pioneer BDR-211JBK (internal)
Pioneer BDR-211EBK (internal)
Pioneer BDR-XD06J-UHD (external)
Pioneer BDR-XD07J-UHD (external)
Pioneer BDR-UD04B (laptop)
Logitec LBD-PUD6U3L (external)
Logitec LBD-PVA6UCVBK (external)
Logitec LBD-PVA6U3V (external)
Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK (external)
LG WH16NS60 (internal)
LG BH16NS60 (internal)
LG BP60NB10 (external)
LG BU40N (laptop)
LG BU50N (laptop)

PowerDVD 17 specific requests Blu-Ray UHD:
https://www.cyberlink.com/products/p...n_GB.html?&r=1

Last edited by ocean; 31st December 2017 at 16:23.
ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 19:50   #3  |  Link
jerrycan

Hi. Just to confirm, are you talking about actually playing UHD discs, or simply reading them? If the former, users here can help but this is a slightly odd forum for it. If the latter, just buy a drive that can read the discs. The mere act of reading a disc doesn't require all this up-to-date hardware beyond an appropriate drive.

Anyway, I'm going to assume the former. I don't think MSI makes any motherboards that support HDMI 2.0. So, you're stuck until you put everything on a new motherboard.
jerrycan is offline   Reply With Quote