Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 9th August 2015, 14:08   #1  |  Link
ingoldie

AviSynth in DaVinci Resolve?

Is it possible to import AviSynth scripts directly in DaVinci Resolve?

Sample AVI video file:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jvb9vv...8mm_18_fps.avi

Last edited by ingoldie; 26th November 2017 at 16:46.
ingoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 19:57   #2  |  Link
kolak

Use AVFS and present your script as fake unompressed AVI file. Try RGB or YUY2.

Last edited by kolak; 10th August 2015 at 19:59.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 15:36   #3  |  Link
ingoldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
Use AVFS and present your script as fake unompressed AVI file. Try RGB or YUY2.
When I use AVFS to turn an AVISynth script into a fake AVI file, DaVinci Resolve still does not support it.
What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by ingoldie; 23rd April 2016 at 14:32.
ingoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 09:08   #4  |  Link
hello_hello

A couple of other methods you can try.

MakeAVIS comes with ffdshow (it should be located in the ffdshow installation folder if you have ffdshow installed). You can use it to wrap an Avisynth script in an AVI, along with a decompressed version of the audio. Or you can wrap the script into an AVI, open it with VirtualDub, add any compatible audio and save that as a new AVI using DirectStreamCopy for the audio and video.

I use avs2avi semi regularly myself. When it's installed you have a right click option "wrap into AVI" for Avisynth scripts. When that's done, you can open the AVI with VirtualDub to add audio and save that using direct stream copy for the video and audio. You can even edit and save the edited version without re-encoding, as long as you save using direct stream copy. avs2avi can be a bit hard to find. There's a copy attached to this post.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 19:14   #5  |  Link
Robert Martens

I played around a little bit with the free Resolve 12 Beta 2, and it seems like the problem is that although Resolve supports AVI (see http://documents.blackmagicdesign.co...nce_Manual.pdf for more, on page 487, "File Formats Compatible With Media Management"), it only supports a few specific formats.

The Deliver tab's Codec dropdown for the AVI format lists Cineform YUV 10-bit, Uncompressed YUV 4:2:2 8-bit, Uncompressed YUV 4:2:2 10-bit, and Uncompressed RGB 10-bit. I started by assuming those are the only ones it supports for input, then opened ingoldie's sample clip in VirtualDub and resaved it as uncompressed YUY2. That didn't work, but I then tried UYVY, and the clip shows up in the Resolve media manager and plays just fine.

I haven't tested the other formats, but I wouldn't be surprised if they'd work. The problem becomes getting UYVY, or 10-bit RGB, out of Avisynth. As far as I know the Avisynth+ project hasn't implemented higher bit depths just yet, but Vapoursynth might work. I know it can work with high bit depth video, and it has its own "VSFS" that's meant to be used with the Pismo File Mount package, but I haven't gotten it to work yet. The PFM has seen rather significant changes recently, and no longer works the way it used to with the "pfm register soandso.dll" installation process, so I'm a bit out of my depth here, if you'll pardon the play on words.

Someone more experienced with Vapoursynth would probably be able to help here, if they know how to use VSFS I imagine you could get 10-bit RGB out of a script easily enough. Though typing out all of this has reminded me that VS is focused on planar formats, and I'm not sure if Resolve supports that, or if it's possible to output a packed format like UYVY from Vapoursynth.

Maybe if there were an Avisynth plugin that could shuffle the YUY2 bytes to spit out UYVY? I'm grasping at straws now, sorry. I'd take a shot at writing it myself if I wasn't in the middle of another project.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015, 23:28   #6  |  Link
kolak

Try vs with 10bit 422 (v210)- this should work (if not make QT ref from v210 AVI). Fake AVI mounter doesn't support RGB 10bit.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote