Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th December 2014, 21:39   #1  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD

Fixing wrong Colorimetry from capture card

Hi.

I just brought a cheap hdmi capture card, quality is decent, but after some text I start to notice that the colours are a bit off vs the original source.

Original:

Captured MP4:

Colormatrix() almost fix the issue, but is not perfect:

Any ideas for improvements?
SquallMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 23:05   #2  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Maybe it's going through some kind of filtering step during capture? What are you using to "display" the picture to the capture card? Maybe that system is tweaking the output some. It can be really tough to track down that stuff, since video card settings, ICC profiles, directshow settings, and player filtering can all affect it (or their analogues for hardware players).
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 00:25   #3  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD

Just a PS3 with automatic settings, no weird options. The comparative was made using DGIndexNV + VDubMod.

The ColorMatrix() output is good enough, I'm just trying to find a better option.
SquallMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2014, 01:11   #4  |  Link
hello_hello

If there's a difference between the original and colormatrix screenshots in respect to colour, I'm having trouble seeing it. They're not exactly the same, but I think I'm just seeing encoding differences, not colour differences.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 19:01   #5  |  Link
ChiDragon

The PS3 playing back in "file" mode can only output RGB. To get a straight YCbCr capture you need to play an authored disc (Blu-ray, AVCHD, DVD) and have all the relevant options set in the Video Output settings. Verify whether you can get accurate luma and chroma planes this way.

Otherwise you are relying on both the PS3 and capture device to use accurate matrices, and you will still get rounding errors, etc.
ChiDragon is offline   Reply With Quote