Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 10th December 2014, 22:30   #1  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Generate file as MP4 instead of MKV

This article provides great instructions about how to re-encode a file as 60fps.
http://www.spirton.com/convert-videos-to-60fps/

I have a file of medium quality that I want to use with Sony Vegas for a video production. I re-encoded the file with double frame rate and double resolution with NNEDI3. So far so good.

However, these instructions generate a MKV file which Sony Vegas cannot import.

How can I achieve the same outcome but with a MP4 file containing both the untouched audio and the improved video?

Is there a particular reason these instructions were based on using MKV?

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 06:28.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 22:55   #2  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

MKV is popular with home users, that's all. The only difference is that in MeGUI's main window you change the format from MKV to MP4, and use Tools->MP4 Muxer to combine audio and video instead of MKVMerge. That's it!
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 23:01   #3  |  Link
creaothceann

My MP4Box GUI might help.

EDIT: ...or what foxyshadis said.
creaothceann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 23:45   #4  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Thanks this works great.

I'm curious, why doesn't Windows Explorer show Height/Width metadata for these muxed files?

It seems mobile devices have limited support for MKV so I should rather use MP4 as a standard unless there's something I'm missing.

Old 11th December 2014, 01:30   #5  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

That doesn't work for MPEG1 files (VCD rips). It doesn't read the audio from the source video.

Old 11th December 2014, 01:42   #6  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

If memory serves correctly, mpeg files ripped from VCD are a bit weird with 2K block (sector) size,
need to be remuxed to Mpeg1 system stream, I used to use the free TMPGenc software for that.

EDIT: Actually 2324 bytes I think MODE 2 rather than 2048 bytes.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 11th December 2014 at 01:53.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 02:38   #7  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

With TMPGenc, it complains the height and width of the video must be multiple of 8. The new video is MPEG4 while the audio is MPEG1... does MP4 container even support that? This tool only works with MPEG1 and MPEG2.

And since you're very familiar with MPEG1 weird block size, do you know if there are special settings to use while deblocking with SmoothD2 for MPEG1 content?

Old 11th December 2014, 02:44   #8  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

OK I could extract the MP2 file from the video with TMPGEnc, and then merge those with MeGUI and it's working. Windows Explorer also now is displaying video file dimensions properly.

It's just a time-consuming process to split and mux. While with MKVMerge I can just drag-and-drop the 2 files and click run.

Old 11th December 2014, 03:02   #9  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

As you mentioned Mpeg1 VCD, I assumed that was what you were talking about, and thought that the MODE 2 thing might be reason why
meta data for eg Width,Height not shown in Windows 7 (it dont do that on my XP machine anyway, at least not without MediaInfo installed).
I know TMPGenc only works with mpeg1/mpeg2, but you were talking about mpeg1 not MPEG4.

So far as I know, MP4 ISO container can contain ANY mpeg files, although some players may not play eg mpeg1 Layer 3 (mp3) correctly (or at all).
I think is legal, but not necessarily supported. Probably exactly the same for mpeg1 Layer 2 (which I think your VCD probably is, think VCD also supports
mpeg1 layer 1 but not sure [avoid that one at all costs, its terrible]).

mpeg1 weird block size was meaning the Sector size on VCD MODE 2 format (when ripped as files from VCD, the files are exact copies of the VCD sectors
with all of the VCD hardware sector stuff in addition to the video/audio stuff, that is what makes them 'weird' and needing re-mux).
Nothing to do with Deblock block size which should be just fine for mpeg1.
EDIT: Think the weird 2324 MODE 2 sector size files are sometimes called DAT files. The standard CD size is about 700MB, whereas you can
fit about 800MB on VCD because of MODE 2 2324 sector size, they re-use the extra CD data normally used for error detection for
Video/Audio data but is less reliable than a standard CD because of absence of the error detection stuff.
On VCD, they can mix MODE 1 sectors for standard files eg PowerDVD runtime files (with error detection) and MODE 2 video/audio
sectors (without the error detection).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 11th December 2014 at 03:46.
Old 11th December 2014, 03:11   #10  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Damn I know how to do it. I've already been doing exactly the same for downloaded YouTube content where audio and videos are split: ffmpeg!

I just tried the exact same syntax I'm already using. It works flawlessly.

ffmpeg -i "Hello-Ta-Lay.mp4" -i "Hello-Ta-Lay.mpg" -acodec copy -vcodec copy "Output.mp4"

I might end up writing a program to generate the right script, call the encoder and mux back properly all at once.

Edit: No I won't code the software for it... previewing the output video to set right cropping parameters would be too complex. But I can add functions to facilitate the whole process.

Edit2: Not if it's as simple as displaying a media player that reads the script.

Old 11th December 2014, 03:22   #11  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

You might be able to combine avs rendering with acodec copy in ffmpeg, instead of another renderer (eg MeGUI) but I dont do that, I likes it easy and use MeGUI.

Old 11th December 2014, 07:09   #12  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Yeah but MeGUI isn't working here.

Damn, Windows Media Player is refusing to play these MP4 muxed files! They play fine in MPC-HC. What could be causing this?

WMP can play the video-only files and the MKV muxed files just fine. But it won't play the MP4 muxed files. I tried both with FFMPEG muxed file and with those split with TMPGEnc and muxed with MeGUI. Neither play. Is this something non-standard that causes compatibility problems?

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 06:27.
Old 11th December 2014, 16:47   #13  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

As I said in other thread, might be legal to put mpeg 1 layer 2 audio in MP4 container, but does not mean that all players can play the results.

EDIT: Perhaps an MP4 splitter is required. Anybody ?

Last edited by StainlessS; 11th December 2014 at 16:52.