Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th November 2014, 03:16   #1  |  Link
Musashi

How to preserve 5.1 / surround sound in multiAVCHD

I've been building blu-ray discs using multiAVCHD and ImgBurn. My first few were built from .ts recordings with 2 ch stereo sound.

My next project uses .ts files that contain 6 ch (5.1) audio, verified through the file properties. When I loaded them into multiAVCHD, the title info shows the audio as 6 ch as well.

When I author a virtual disc (BDMV folders), the file properties on the stream files show a lower bitrate as well as only 2 ch audio.

Is there a combination of settings I need to use to author the (virtual) disc with 5.1 audio?
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 16:15   #2  |  Link
Capsbackup

Make sure you have unselected, under subtitles and audio, the options to convert the audio.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 20:05   #3  |  Link
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
Make sure you have unselected, under subtitles and audio, the options to convert the audio.
When I last tried it, I did indeed have every item unchecked under Subtitles and Audio in the convert audio section. I can look again tonight to make sure.

I could also upload one of my smaller .ts files to MediaFire to see if you or anyone can make a virtual disc with it that has the intended 5.1 sound.

I'm also going to check out another authoring program tonight; so far multiAVCHD is the only program I've seen that has a built-in solution to the problem I often get where the video and sound get disconnected during the authoring process.
Old 15th November 2014, 04:16   #4  |  Link
Musashi

Seems there was no problem with the authoring; only with the computer's readings. While the stream files say 2 ch 256kbps, the actual disc did indeed have the intended surround sound. The PS3 said 'Dolby Digital Multichannel', and the receiver was showing 5.1 and the rear speakers did have sound differing from the fronts.

Sorry for any confusion, and I hope my experience can show any other ppl out there that the actual sound may differ from what the properties of the files say.