Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd June 2013, 17:40   #1  |  Link
matfra

Is it possible to colorize BW clip ?

I saw on History channel World War 2 HD.
They took BW clips from WW2 and they colorized it.
Its look very faithful. Im wondering if its possible to do this with AVISynth or Vitualdub ?
matfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:46   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Checkout the filters at the website of "neuron2", to understand the limitations regarding what you'd like to do...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:02   #3  |  Link

IIRC, vcmohan also did some interesting work in this area.

http://avisynth.org/vcmohan/
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 20:07   #4  |  Link
johnmeyer

It would be extremely interesting to me if these techniques could be applied to color film in which one or more of the three color layers have faded. With color film from the 1930s that I've transferred, the red layer is usually the only thing to completely survive, but sometimes there is just a hint of the other two layers. I can easily reduce the red layer and boost the other two, and the result provides just a hint of what the image might have looked like almost eighty years ago. Here is an example of what I've been able to do:

1937 Yellowstone Park

The original was overwhelmingly red, and even after all my work, it is still primarily a "red & white" film. However, once in awhile, you'll see some hints of green and blue.

It would be really useful if there was a way to do more restoration on these films, although my guess is that without hundreds of hours of work, real restoration may not be possible. The same may also be true of B&W colorization. I've watched a lot of the "WWII in Color" series, and that colorization, film cleaning and stabilization, and general restoration work is some of the best I've seen.

Last edited by johnmeyer; 3rd June 2013 at 20:08. Reason: Removed partial sentence at end that I forgot to delete
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote