Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VapourSynth

Old 16th November 2012, 21:33   #1  |  Link
cretindesalpes
͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿

fmtconv: resize, bitdepth and colorspace conversions

Here is another plug-in for Vapoursynth.

>>> fmtconv-r30.zip <<<

Fmtconv is a format-conversion plug-in for the Vapoursynth and Avisynth+ video processing engines. It does:
  • Resizing.
  • Bitdepth conversion with dithering.
  • Colorspace conversion (matrix, transfer characteristics and chromatic adaptation).

Supports:
  • 8-–12-, 14- and 16-bit integer, 32-bit float
  • Colorspaces: RGB, Y, YUV, YCoCg, YDzDx and ICtCp in 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0 and 4:1:1 chroma subsampling factors.
  • Progressive and interlaced content.

Fmtconv is focussed primarily on quality and exactness rather than execution speed. This does not mean it is slow or unoptimized, but fmtconv is clearly not on par with the fastest equivalent 8-bit filters.

The full documentation is included in the zip file.
New requirement from r29: Vapoursynth r55 or above (support for API v4 only).

If you’re curious, you’ll see undocumented functions in this plug-in. However they are temporary and will be removed later or moved to another plug-in, so please don’t use them.

Source code is also available as Git repository.

Last edited by cretindesalpes; 1st September 2023 at 22:11. Reason: Repository moved to Gitlab
cretindesalpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 22:26   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Thank you, but do you really think it is a good idea to offer stacked? Maybe we should be getting rid of that hack once and for all.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 22:32   #3  |  Link
cretindesalpes

The stacked stuff is only meant to offer interoperability with Avisynth plug-ins, before they all get ported.
Old 16th November 2012, 23:01   #4  |  Link
kolak

Thanks a lot- great work

kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 23:26   #5  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Here it comes first question from someone who have no clue about this plugin.

With it can I convert lets say 320x2 (or 2x320) YV12 clip into 320x2 YV24 and without rising bitdepth? For example 8bit in - 8 bit calculation - 8 bit out, not 8-16-8

Edit: i'm not an expert on YCgCo, does current implementation offers lossless conversion to and from RGB?

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 16th November 2012 at 23:38.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 23:31   #6  |  Link
kolak

You probably can't as internal processing is done at high precision, but this is only a good thing
Old 16th November 2012, 23:36   #7  |  Link
cretindesalpes

Keiyakusha: no it's not possible. All the resizing calculations are done in float anyway so in the end a bitdepth conversion has to be done (if you don't want a float clip).

I haven't tested if the YCgCo can restore lossless RGB. It would need at least 9 bits in theory.
Old 16th November 2012, 23:47   #8  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
You probably can't as internal processing is done at high precision, but this is only a good thing
Unfortunately I have different opinion on this. Outside of professional 3D and 2.5D editing software, where high bitdepth often used for better control in manipulating with color or may represent something like strength of light that goes through less than 100% opaque obstacles (and also maybe x264's 10bit streams too), I don't believe in high bitdeph. In other words using more than 8bits for things like resize, denoise or whatever in my opinion gives so little improvements, that it not worth even one extra cpu cycle spent on it.

This rises another question. Is it possible to estimate how big is speed difference between similar colorspace (or some other) conversions (8bit in - 8bit out) using this plugin compared to avisynth? (assuming everything is done in 1 thread)

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 16th November 2012 at 23:54.
Old 17th November 2012, 00:02   #9  |  Link
cretindesalpes

Therefore this plug-in is most likely not for you. It’s much slower than the Avisynth resizers. You can check the speed difference by setting only one thread in vapoursynth (use core = vs.Core (threads=1) ) and do a benchmark with a simple blankclip as input. Or you can do everything in Avisynth, using Dither_resize16 which uses the same algorithms and should give a comparable speed, making sure that avstp is disabled (call avstp_set_threads(1) at the end of the script).
Old 17th November 2012, 00:04   #10  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
Unfortunately I have different opinion on this. Outside of professional 3D and 2.5D editing software, where high bitdepth often used for better control in manipulating with color or may represent something like strength of light that goes through less than 100% opaque obstacles (and also maybe x264's 10bit streams too), I don't believe in high bitdeph. In other words using more than 8bits for things like resize, denoise or whatever in my opinion gives so little improvements, that it not worth even one extra cpu cycle spent on it.

This rises another question. Is it possible to estimate how big is speed difference between similar colorspace (or some other) conversions (8bit in - 8bit out) using this plugin compared to avisynth? (assuming everything is done in 1 thread)
If course it is, just set vs to use one thread and use ffms2 as the video source in both and it should be very easy to compare 1:1.
Old 17th November 2012, 00:11   #11  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Thanks for your answers. I kind of expected this answer but had to make sure. I mainly asked because right now using vapoursynth's internal resizer it seem to be impossible to do 320x2 YV12 -> 320x2 YV24 (and back) at all. (or Yv12->rgb, or whatever). And color conversion seems to be not included in separate plugin with internal avisynth functions. Thus right now I have to use ffms2 in avisynth, do conversions there and only then pass this to vapoursynth... (using awesome plugin by Chikuzen). Unless I missed something.

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 17th November 2012 at 03:39.
Old 17th November 2012, 00:24   #12  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post

I deal with different type of data and done many test, which actually surprised me.

a= take 10bit HD file and scale at 8bit to SD.
b= take 10bit HD file, dither it and scale to SD (at 8bit).
c= take same file scale at 10bit to SD and than dither.

There is actually quite visible difference in all of them, but I was surprised that even b and c show visible difference. I though that there will be no real difference, but there is.

Just a not- we're talking about proper 10bit source- eg shot on RED, Alexa etc cmera.
Old 17th November 2012, 00:48   #13  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
I deal with different type of data and done many test, which actually surprised me.

a= take 10bit HD file and scale at 8bit to SD.
b= take 10bit HD file, dither it and scale to SD (at 8bit).
c= take same file scale at 10bit to SD and than dither.

There is actually quite visible difference in all of them, but I was surprised that even b and c show visible difference. I though that there will be no real difference, but there is.

Just a not- we're talking about proper 10bit source- eg shot on RED, Alexa etc cmera.
Yes there can be quite big visual difference when going from higher to lower bitdepth one way or another. Also depends on the actual content though. I'll do "c" if it is possible. But in this particular case I was talking about 8bit source to begin with. Sorry for not making it clear, this was kind of continuation of my initial post. Also what you say applies more to genuine 10bit sources than to upconverted.

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 17th November 2012 at 01:26.
Old 17th November 2012, 12:28   #14  |  Link
sneaker_ger

A few questions:
1.) Does resample output 16 bit int or 32 bit float by default?
2.) "Bitdepth conversion with optional dithering."
How do I know if dithering is on or off?
3.) Is "MPEG2" the default chroma placement?
Old 17th November 2012, 13:14   #15  |  Link
cretindesalpes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
A few questions:
1.) Does resample output 16 bit int or 32 bit float by default?
The default is 16 bits for integer input, and float for floating point input. The 16-bit integer output is a straight conversion from the intermediate float results without dithering.

Quote:
2.) "Bitdepth conversion with optional dithering."
How do I know if dithering is on or off?
Dithering is used when:
- Reducing the bitdepth of integer data, or converting from float to integer
- Doing a full-range ↔ TV-range conversion between integer formats, because the resulting values haven't an exact representation.

Quote:
3.) Is "MPEG2" the default chroma placement?
Yes.
Old 17th November 2012, 13:26   #16  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cretindesalpes View Post
The default is 16 bits for integer input, and float for floating point input. The 16-bit integer output is a straight conversion from the intermediate float results without dithering.
Does it make any sense to choose 32 float output for 16 bit source? (Assuming I have more of your filters after that?)

Where can we find info on the dithering algos? Is there any good comparison that keeps video encoding in mind? Or is "Filter Lite" generally a good idea?

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 17th November 2012 at 13:30.
Old 17th November 2012, 14:09   #17  |  Link
ajp_anton

Isn't YCgCo just YUV with different coefficients than 601 and 709? Because you're mentioning it as if it's an alternative to YUV.
And how do you use it? =)

Thread title is wrong BTW, "ftmconv".
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 14:39   #18  |  Link
cretindesalpes

sneaker_ger:

I’d say that keeping everything in 16 bit is sufficient, there is no need to use float. Float could be useful when working with linear light, because dark areas need more precision. Or when working with non-perceptually uniform colorspaces like CIE XYZ. Keeping a pipeline in float also avoids the conversion overhead, but the gain has to be balanced with the memory bandwidth doubling and related cache issues.

For the dithering algorithms, you’ll find relevant information here:
http://caca.zoy.org/wiki/libcaca/study/2
http://caca.zoy.org/wiki/libcaca/study/3
http://caca.zoy.org/wiki/libcaca/study/4
Filter Lite (Sierra 2-4A) is OK as a general purpose dither algorithm and is very similar to Floyd-Steinberg. Anyway if you want to dither to 8 bits before encoding to avoid colorbanding, you’ll probably prefer using ordered dithering.

ajp_anton:

Technically, YCgCo just is another linear combination of the RGB values into signals approximating perceptual luminance and chrominance. But the result is different enough to create another category. I think it’s suited more for encoding than for processing, as it is reported to compress a bit better than YUV. It is specified by MPEG-4 part 10 (H.264) but I think players and encoders supporting it are still rare.

Thank you for the typo report, I’ll fix it.

Last edited by cretindesalpes; 17th November 2012 at 20:50. Reason: Made links clickable
cretindesalpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 17:37   #19  |  Link
mandarinka

Nice addition!

So I take it that if one is paranoid, it'S best to pass around the float format and dither to 8/16 bit integer with bitdepth() as the last step (when the followup filters/encoder require it).
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 20:08   #20  |  Link
sneaker_ger

@cretindesalpes

Thanks for the detailed answers and your work on the plugin. I tested it out today and it worked really great.