Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > Forum / Site Suggestions & Help

Old 15th October 2012, 03:35   #1  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

time for a separate Vapoursynth subforum?

given the (currently) rapid and exciting development of Vapoursynth, would it be prudent to open a new subforum?

i'm noticing a lot of new threads for plugins etc popping up in the avisynth forum, which is the obvious place to put them, but i feel vapoursynth is sufficiently different that it might need it's own stickies and plugin lists eventually.
Old 15th October 2012, 17:23   #2  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

What abut just renaming the "Avisynth" sub-forums to "Avisynth, AvxSynth and Vapoursynth" ???

Personally, I think they are so closely related, we don't need a separate sub-forum.

Also Vapoursynth indeed seems to be making great progress at the moment, but it's still a rather "fresh" project and we'll see what the future brings...

(In case it will be established as the "successor" of Avisynth, the focus of the sub-forum can simply shift from Avisynth to Vapoursynth)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 15th October 2012 at 17:28.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 19:02   #3  |  Link
Bloax
The speed of stupid

I think you're a bit wrong there, because Avisynth and Avxsynth are rather closely related;
While Vapoursynth is a totally new thing that operates differently and requires another kind of input. Which is Python scripts (with or without filters), instead of filter chains like in Avisynth.

Though I may be wrong on that last one, since I haven't actually checked it out myself.

But long story short, I really wouldn't call Vapoursynth very relative to Avisynth.
Of course the whole idea about it is based off it, but it'd cause a lot of unnecessary precautions.

For the thread writers it'd require them to specify what their thread subject is for (This is for Vapour/Avx/Avisynth)
And a lot of digging from readers (Is this for Vapour/Avx/Avisynth?) if they were all mixed together.
Bloax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 19:13   #4  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Even the author of Vapoursynth says that the "software has been heavily inspired by Avisynth and aims to be a 21st century rewrite".

Another important fact is that Vapoursynth even supports Avisynth plug-ins. And most "native" Vapoursynth plug-ins that we have at the moment are ports of prior Avisynth plugins.

Last but not least, most discussion around Vapoursynth currently seems to focus on getting existing Avisynth plug-ins and/or existing Avisynth scripts to work under Vapoursynth.

So while Vapoursynth is a completely separate software that, in its core, is not derived from Avisynth' code, the projects are still very closely related, I would say

(But creating a separate sub-forum or not isn't my decision anyway. It's just my opinion on the topic, for now)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 15th October 2012 at 19:21.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 19:20   #5  |  Link
Bloax
The speed of stupid

I'd still keep it separate because while you might be able to use Avisynth things in Vapoursynth, I'm not quite sure the opposite will be possible. (Once the really complex (native) scripts start rolling.)
Bloax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 19:31   #6  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
So while Vapoursynth is a completely separate software that, in its core, is not derived from Avisynth' code, the projects are still very closely related, I would say
The same can be said of MPEG-4 ASP vs AVC.

While it might be too soon, I too think a separate subfourm might be useful. While Vapoursynth really takes off and there is a lot of activity it could be nice. It is ok if Avisynth's subforum gets pretty inactive, it would also take a long time again like MPEG-4 ASP's.

That said Doom9 already has a lot of subforums so I guess I don't feel strongly either way.
Asmodian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 15:35   #7  |  Link
JoeH

If VS continues I would also propose a separate subforum. The reason is simply that the scripts use a different language, so as to avoid confusion.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote