Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 24th July 2012, 19:37   #1  |  Link
j7n

IVTC of mixed 30fps/24fps

How should I go about deinterlacing a short clip that has both a telecined 24 fps foreground "layer" and a background of frame-blended ~24 fps footage that is not telecined? If I do an IVTC on the whole picture so that the actor in the foreground looks good, the background becomes combed.

Sample shot:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/4/...uglyaustin.png

The clip runs at 29.97 fps.
j7n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 20:57   #2  |  Link
txporter

For star trek DVDs (which also have lots of 24fps/30fps), I just send the whole thing through QTGMC and leave it at 59.94fps.

I use this, but there are a lot of options:
Code:
QTGMC("Ultra Fast",SourceMatch=2,TR2=2,sharpness=0.7)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 21:18   #3  |  Link
TheSkiller

Well the thing is, if you IVTC to 23.976 fps the background will lose motion resolution and the remaining background motion will be spread uneven across the new IVTC'ed framerate.

If you do the opposite, the background will be fine but the actor's motion will be uneven. The only solution to avoid either is to bob-deinterlace to 59.94 fps.

Using a Hybrid mode in TDecimate helps to reduce the problem of uneven/lost motion in case of a 23.976 or 29.97 fps target but it cannot be cured.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 09:48   #4  |  Link
j7n

I was not able to load NNEDI3 which is part of QTGMC. I tried simply deinterlacing with Yadif, but it lost a lot of resolution, which was not great to begin with (letterboxed NTSC).

I would like to keep the foreground at exactly 23.976 fps which is doable with TFM, and use either parts of the source frame for the background (best) or blend them, whichever is easier, but have the IVTC'd foreground intact. The background is in motion, far away, and I figure it may get blended [further]. If I let TFM postprocess, it will also blur parts of the foregound that are in motion but not interlaced.

Edit:

I deinterlaced the clip reasonably well by manually combining the good parts in Photoshop. It was about 350 frames in total.

Last edited by j7n; 27th July 2012 at 10:11.
j7n is offline   Reply With Quote