Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:39   #21  |  Link
kingtmx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
Quote:
I think he should use "--preset magic" to sqeeze 2.5 hours @720p into < 1G.
were is this preset were can i get it
kingtmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:40   #22  |  Link
kingtmx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
Quote:
Why do you need a profile? Just use --preset veryslow and --tune film.
thats it uh ????
kingtmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:41   #23  |  Link
SassBot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtmx View Post
were is this preset were can i get it
I think you missed that the post was being sarcastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtmx View Post
thats it uh ????
Yes. What else did you need?
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:44   #24  |  Link
kingtmx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
Quote:
Yes. What else did you need?
ok no avscripts need uh ???
kingtmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:47   #25  |  Link
SassBot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtmx View Post
ok no avscripts need uh ???
Without knowing anything about your source I have no clue what avisynth scipt you would need other than it having a source filter. There is no universal avisynth script that you can apply to all movies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:50   #26  |  Link
kingtmx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
Without knowing anything about your source I have no clue what avisynth scipt you would need other than it having a source filter. There is no universal avisynth script that you can apply to all movies


thats fine can u tell some best denosing filters names
kingtmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:54   #27  |  Link
kingtmx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtmx View Post
Without knowing anything about your source I have no clue what avisynth scipt you would need other than it having a source filter. There is no universal avisynth script that you can apply to all movies

thats fine can u tell some best denosing filters names
kingtmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:57   #28  |  Link
SassBot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
It's probably best to ask in the AVISynth forum.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:59   #29  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author
 
Atak_Snajpera's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Poland
Posts: 6,079
Quote:
thats fine can u tell some best denosing filters names
"Best" does not exists...
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 09:01   #30  |  Link
Ghitulescu
Registered User
 
Ghitulescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Some people are still living in XVID era Who these days encode to 700MB ??? No. WHO THESE DAYS STORES MOVIES ON CD when we have big portable usb hard-drives?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
so why magic 700mb then ????
Maybe because these are the new standards (700 MB for 720p and 400 MB for DVDs)
__________________
Born in the USB (not USA)

Last edited by Guest; 24th July 2012 at 13:31. Reason: rule 6
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 09:49   #31  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs
 
Sagittaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: France
Posts: 2,397
Well I try to make that too and my conclusion is that 700 MB is really too low size for 720p movie in general case.

Actually optimal quality/size with actual codec is:
- 720x400, 848x480 or 1024x576 for "1CD"
- 1280x720 for "2CD"
__________________
Le Sagittaire ... ;-)

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 10:39   #32  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author
 
Atak_Snajpera's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Poland
Posts: 6,079
Quote:
Actually optimal quality/size with actual codec is:
- 720x400, 848x480 or 1024x576 for "1CD"
- 1280x720 for "2CD"
It all depends of movie's duration , aspect ratio and movie complexity (more talking heads ,less action).

700MB might be enough only for very static and short movie (less than 90min) in 1280x532 resolution.

@Ghitulescu
LOL. I wonder what does [Team DS] stand for? Team Dark Shikari ?

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 24th July 2012 at 10:46.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 13:14   #33  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs
 
Sagittaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: France
Posts: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
It all depends of movie's duration , aspect ratio and movie complexity (more talking heads ,less action).

700MB might be enough only for very static and short movie (less than 90min) in 1280x532 resolution.

@Ghitulescu
LOL. I wonder what does [Team DS] stand for? Team Dark Shikari ?
general case is for [low-complex] interval ... ;-)
__________________
Le Sagittaire ... ;-)

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 15:23   #34  |  Link
kingtmx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
Quote:
Maybe because these are the new standards (700 MB for 720p and 400 MB for DVDs)
yes yes
kingtmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 15:26   #35  |  Link
SassBot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtmx View Post
yes yes
Once again you are missing the fact that someone was being sarcastic...
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 17:04   #36  |  Link
Groucho2004
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
 
Groucho2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Maybe because these are the new standards (700 MB for 720p and 400 MB for DVDs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtmx View Post
yes yes
Ah, you're bound to the "scene" standards. I wonder why...
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 18:55   #37  |  Link
kalehrl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 275
I think the "scene rules" are very good for beginners to learn about encoding not only using h264 but xvid as well.
There are many reasonable rules to be found there contained in a single text file.
kalehrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 19:12   #38  |  Link
turab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalehrl View Post
I think the "scene rules" are very good for beginners to learn about encoding not only using h264 but xvid as well.
There are many reasonable rules to be found there contained in a single text file.
You mean like what file size or bitrate is acceptable or good enough? I disagree. Not only do these things depend on the source, but the viewer as well. I personally don't understand why anyone would aim for 700MiB with a 720p full-length movie because it looks horrible to me, or why 5mbps seems to be another popular choice because half of that is usually more than enough to my eyes. It really isn't difficult to do your own tests and come to a conclusion yourself.
turab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 19:33   #39  |  Link
SassBot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalehrl View Post
I think the "scene rules" are very good for beginners to learn about encoding not only using h264 but xvid as well.
There are many reasonable rules to be found there contained in a single text file.
No, they are pretty terrible rules and often lead people to using bizarre commandline options with x264 that make little to no sense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 19:48   #40  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author
 
Atak_Snajpera's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Poland
Posts: 6,079
i would be more happy if those pseudo scene experts just start using default x264 settings (--cfr 23 --preset medium) than 2pass with some odd settings
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
how to

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.