Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 9th March 2012, 22:45   #1  |  Link
videophool

AvxSynth: a Linux port of AviSynth

We are happy to announce AvxSynth, a native port of AviSynth 2.5.8 running on Ubuntu 32/64. Details can be found here: www.avxsynth.org.
videophool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 23:05   #2  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Interesting. I see you've made a slightly modified FFMS2 source plugin; if you want to have your own branch of FFMS2 on the official repository for that, feel free to contact me. Or is the plan to make the plugin interfaces compatible?
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 23:05   #3  |  Link

Very nice work, videophool! I have been able to play video via an Avisynth script in a VirtualBox Ubuntu 64. Sweet!

This will make a lot of people very happy.

DG tools for Linux now becomes a real possibility.

Last edited by Guest; 9th March 2012 at 23:10.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 23:07   #4  |  Link
videophool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Interesting. I see you've made a slightly modified FFMS2 source plugin; if you want to have your own branch of FFMS2 on the official repository for that, feel free to contact me. Or is the plan to make the plugin interfaces compatible?
Definitely interested in a branch on the official FFMS2 repository.
Old 9th March 2012, 23:26   #5  |  Link
mastrboy

now this is interesting, but i'm guessing regular .dll plugins won't work and have to be recompiled to a ELF binary?
mastrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 23:47   #6  |  Link
videophool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrboy View Post
now this is interesting, but i'm guessing regular .dll plugins won't work and have to be recompiled to a ELF binary?
You cannot use the Windows dll plugins. However, most of the ones that we have looked at can be ported (at least the C-code implementations).
Old 10th March 2012, 11:26   #7  |  Link
LaTo
LaTo INV.

Very nice work!!! I will try next week!
LaTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 12:10   #8  |  Link
Yellow_

Will it be possible or is it already possible to patch ffmpeg / libav with .avs file support for Linux like the avisynth support compile option on Windows.

Just thinking about Linux ffmpeg based NLE's like kdenlive and media toolkits like MLT to be able to handle .avs files as if movie, audio or image files.

Although I happily use Avisynth + AVSPmod via wine on Linux this is really excellent news.
Yellow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 20:23   #9  |  Link
Selur

Nice!
Old 10th March 2012, 21:04   #10  |  Link
ajk

This is excellent news! Will have to have a look at the code at some point. Is there any intention to support multithreading right from the ground up? Did not see a mention on the site at a glance, but will keep reading.
ajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 21:26   #11  |  Link
SEt

What I don't understand is why everyone starts with 2.5.8. First x64 port, then this. 2.6 may be called 'alpha' but works actually better than 2.5.8 and still a bit alive.
SEt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 21:34   #12  |  Link
videophool

Why 2.5.8

We started with the stable 2.5.8 branch. Our objective was to get 2.5.8 functionality in Linux quickly and with minimal risk.
Old 10th March 2012, 21:48   #13  |  Link
SEt

As I said, it's only called 'stable'. Development of 2.6 is just stalled in the middle, so it's 'alpha' feature-wise, not stability-wise.
SEt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 22:26   #14  |  Link
hajj_3

very nice indeed, are you guys a company or something as it says you are hiring an avisynth guy, if so did you port this so that your company software can work on linux using avxsynth or something?

great job, i'm sure more video software will become available on linux over the coming months and years as a result of this.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 22:27   #15  |  Link
videophool

Since our work was a business decision we worked from the stable 2.5.8 branch, the same branch that we use for production encodes. However, we have established a porting model for AviSynth, and it would take a few committed developers about 2 months to port 2.6, if they were so motivated. That is left as an exercise for the reader.
Old 10th March 2012, 22:33   #16  |  Link
videophool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_ View Post
Will it be possible or is it already possible to patch ffmpeg / libav with .avs file support for Linux like the avisynth support compile option on Windows.

Just thinking about Linux ffmpeg based NLE's like kdenlive and media toolkits like MLT to be able to handle .avs files as if movie, audio or image files.

Although I happily use Avisynth + AVSPmod via wine on Linux this is really excellent news.
It would certainly be possible to get avxsynth support into ffmpeg. Something we'd like to see.
Old 11th March 2012, 10:04   #17  |  Link
Yellow_

Cheers, ooooh I'm up and running, the last step 'Build Test' instructions threw me a bit not knowing KDev but by that time the executables we're built in the folder anyway. Going to play. :-) Thanks again.

**EDIT**

Ok, error trying to replicate your Youtube Demo but FFVideoSource not found, looking in my /home/.AVXSynth/plugins folder all plugins except ffms2avs are there, going back to the KDev project and trying to build the ffms2avs gives me this error:

compiling avsutils.cpp (g++)
compiling ffswscale.cpp (g++)
compiling avssources.cpp (g++)
compiling ffpp.cpp (g++)
In file included from src/ffpp.cpp:21:0:
src/ffpp.h:33:37: fatal error: libpostproc/postprocess.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [src/ffpp.o] Error 1

So I assume libpostproc in libav doesn't build by default, so added it to the ./configure line for libav, --enable-postproc, rebuilt libav, back into KDev project and built the ffms2avs plugin and we're away, WOOT! :-)

**EDIT**EDIT**

Ok first test something simple opened a flagged full range luma, h264AVC MOV off a DSLR, using FFVideoSource and histogram=classic, output is scaling luma 16 - 235 in the waveform, played back in MPlayer.

If this is ffms2 v2.16 rather than 2.15 or 2.17 then that'll be the reason, known to be buggy and fixed in later revisions.

I did download 2.17-src and it made a 2.16-1_amd64 deb package?

Apart from that the script works, plays the file and segfaults at the end of playback. :-(

ALERT : Module=appInterface,Address=src/avxSynthAppInterface.cpp:453,Type=Alert,Message=Reached end of stream at frame #475
Segmentation fault

I'm aware this is WIP and extremely impressed non the less. Netflix eh?

Last edited by Yellow_; 11th March 2012 at 11:42.
Yellow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 15:37   #18  |  Link
tin3tin

Wow, this is just the best Avisynth news in a long time. Just one question - why do you create your own IDE(AvxEdit), can't the wxPython of AvsP(mod) used in Linux?
Old 11th March 2012, 17:27   #19  |  Link
videophool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin3tin View Post
Just one question - why do you create your own IDE(AvxEdit), can't the wxPython of AvsP(mod) used in Linux?
We needed a tool to help demo our work. Did not spend a lot of time working on AvxEdit, and prefer a more full-featured tool. Hope that someone will take on this project, as we are focused on stability, and completing the migration of our processes to Linux.
Old 11th March 2012, 22:57   #20  |  Link
videophool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_ View Post

If this is ffms2 v2.16 rather than 2.15 or 2.17 then that'll be the reason, known to be buggy and fixed in later revisions.

Apart from that the script works, plays the file and segfaults at the end of playback. :-(

ALERT : Module=appInterface,Address=src/avxSynthAppInterface.cpp:453,Type=Alert,Message=Reached end of stream at frame #475
Segmentation fault
There was a typo in the setup instructions. It referred to 2.17, but the install instruction had pkgversion="2.16".

I am not seeing the segfault. can you give some repro steps?