Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 21st October 2011, 20:46   #1  |  Link
jmac698

How to Capture with HSYNC

This guide is designed to assist you in capturing video with HSYNC to use with the Software TBC (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=162726)

Capturing with BT8x8 Cards

You can use Virtualdub, Dscaler, or bttool for this purpose. The steps are tested in XP with the BtWinCap Drivers.
Capturing with Virtualdub
1 Get the Bt8x8 tweaker at http://sourceforge.net/projects/dein...e.zip/download.
2 Put the files in the Virtudaldub directory.
3 Start Virtudaldub
4 File->Capture AVI
5 Device->Conexant's BtPCI Capture
6 Video->Video Source->Video Composite
7 Video->Capture Filter, Video STandard=NTSC_M_J, Video Proc Amp->Brightness=a higher value, OK
8 Video->BT8x8 Tweaker
9 Move the panel out of the way so you can see the video, connect to a stable video signal through the composite connector
10 Adjust the Left border until you see a faint line at the left, keep going until the signal becomes unstable then move just to the right
11 Adjust the Right border until you see a black border, go as far as you can with a stable signal
12 Connect the VHS, play
You should see the HSYNC line moving back and forth, and always a black border to the right. You can adjust the brightness down to a reasonable value now. Capture. If the HSYNC area disappears, click Reassert in the tweaker panel. If you are curious about the other settings, look at http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/cap...t_tweaker.html

Capturing with CX2388x Cards

Follow the instructions that come with the software (see link below). It gives an example of how to calculate HDELAY but just decrease this value and test capture until you can see the line. I don't have a card to test.

Update:
There is software which can save the raw ADC data (this means with HSYNC) at http://www.geocities.ws/how_chee/cx23881fc6.htm. It has been tested with the PixelView PlayTV Pro Ultra TV+FM card, though others should work.

Capturing with SAA711x Cards

Try to see if Dscaler supports your card.

Links

General Tweaker
http://www.chris-pc.com/tweak/

Tweakers for Hauppage PVR
http://web.archive.org/web/200611081...m/pvr_reg.html

Modified drivers and tweakers for CX2388x chip
http://midimaker.narod.ru/eng/index.html

Capture program with built in tweakers
http://www.virtualdub.org
http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/

Driver for BT8x8 Cards
http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/
Signed, Windows 7, 64 bit driver for BT8x8
http://pctuner.ru/page-al-btwdmdrv_signed.html

Raw ADC capture for CX2388x cards
http://www.geocities.ws/how_chee/cx23881fc6.htm

Last edited by jmac698; 13th July 2012 at 19:14.
jmac698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 05:00   #2  |  Link
Mounir

Sounds complicated (as expected) plus i have a SAA7113 philips card so i think i'll wait a little to experiment.

The link pointing to dscaler.org is not working anymore, thought you should know
Mounir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 02:08   #3  |  Link
ChiDragon

Are these solutions limited to WinXP at the latest?
ChiDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 05:45   #4  |  Link
jmac698

I don't know, you can try? There are in fact 64bit BT8x8 drivers I know...
Old 25th October 2011, 02:41   #5  |  Link
jmac698

Updated with win7 64bit drivers
Old 25th October 2011, 22:27   #6  |  Link
Perepandel

Sorry to contradict you, but there is no evidence that those drivers work in Windows 7 x64. Even the the comments in the link you've posted confirm that, and I've haven't been able to find any success report with them. Have you really tried them?

Again, I'm talking about Windows 7 x64. Not Win Vista x64.
Perepandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 22:52   #7  |  Link
jmac698

I think it's a signing issue, you need ReadyDriverPlus
Old 25th October 2011, 22:56   #8  |  Link
markanini

x64 drivers worked fine with my Pinnacle PCTV rage card in Win7.
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 03:44   #9  |  Link
Buck746

Does anyone have a driver for win7 64bit that can allow levels adjustment? Is there a trick to getting the dscaler tweaks to work when capturing in virtualdub in win7?

I can get the composite input to work but I have no controls for the levels as well as no way of turning off the coring function.
Buck746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 09:40   #10  |  Link
JAMESE

Well
I try it but there are some problem.
Thanks.
JAMESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 15:10   #11  |  Link
jmac698

I don't have win7 to test, sorry. The limitation may be in the dscaler files which allowed Virtualdub to tweak. Look for 64bit versions of these files.
Old 1st January 2012, 05:21   #12  |  Link
Mounir

graphedit wouldn't be suited to try to capture the Hsync ?
Old 2nd January 2012, 13:52   #13  |  Link
Mounir

We desperately need modified drivers for SAA71xx philips drivers so we could test this, if someone has the knowledge...

Edit:
On Xp with Dscaler and using the "Prime Tv 7133" device i can see the Vertical delay if i move the slider in "Image Shift adjustments" but no luck for the Horizontal delay it won't move one pixel

Last edited by Mounir; 2nd January 2012 at 14:31.
Old 8th January 2012, 23:09   #14  |  Link
jmac698

Thanks for the tip. This can probably be done in linux, but documentation is hard to come by.
Old 15th January 2012, 05:47   #15  |  Link
Mounir

Yeah, we're kinda stuck at the moment if someone has the knowledge and read this, then stop by!
Old 19th March 2012, 01:18   #16  |  Link
Perepandel

Hi all! It's been a while since I last participated on this thread (heavy lack of free time), but I'm still interested on the subject and this weekend I've been able to make again some experiments.

First of all: I've been able to make work my old Avermedia TV Captura 98 in Windows 7 x64 with the auto-signed russian x64 drivers. It took me a while to a) follow the PROPER instructions to install them, that is: select the hardware from a list, and b) realize that no video was being shown on the screen because I had the wrong combination of colorspace and resolution (RGB24 and 720x576, which seems it's unsupported), which solved when I switched to YUY2. To realize b) I even had to install Win XP in a new partition, install the original btwincap drivers and note that I had the same sympthoms, something unusual knowing that I had previously my capture card working with that setup.

Unfortunately, the color/brigthness/etc sliders (of the driver) are greyed out and untouchable in Virtualdub (and/or any other programs I've tried), and by default they are set down to zero, so... image is displayed in B&W and I haven't found a way to change that to this date. I think it may be relatively easy to solve comparing configuration files between my Win XP and Win 7 setups, but I'll just stick with my working (Win XP) configuration for now.

Second thing is that I've been able to capture weith HSYNC. It's hilarious because I wasn't following jmac698's instructions; I was playing with VirttualDub's BT8x8 tweaker options and at one point I realyzed that I caught the HSYNC line. It's really easy! Now I can run the script and see if I can benefit from it.

A couple of notes:
- BT8x8 tweaker doesn't work, as expected, in x64 version of VirtualDub: since you need to grab 3 files from DTV (old version of DScaler) and it was only available for 32 bit, I thought it wouldn't work, and I got it confirmed.

- For capturing I'm using a JVC svhs machine with an integrated TBC which can be switched on/off. I really notice the difference with the same video when it is turned on or off: when on, the bar is perfectly vertically aligned.

- The hardware TBC integrated in my JVC machine improves a lot the image, but in this specific test tape it's introduccing a lot of vertical jitter, that is, vertical field jumping by one or two lines. So it's even better to have it turned off.
Old 19th March 2012, 09:27   #17  |  Link
jmac698

That's great,
I'd like to see a capture with and without TBC. It's always been my theory that the capture card does line TBC anyhow; also the vertical jitter people complain about is really just dropped/duped fields.
Old 19th March 2012, 13:25   #18  |  Link
Perepandel

Hi jmac689!

Wow, I was very sleepy last night while writing my post. I had a couple of screenshots of my "capture process", with and without TBC on. Also the process I followed was slightly different to the one you explained, so I wanted you to take a look at them.

- I'm capturing in PAL.
- 720x576, YUY2.
- Not doing any modifications on brigthness or whatever.

I just adjusted the left border until what I think HSYNC is appeared, and then the right border until I got the entire image "fitted" in the capture area, that is, to not lose any horizontal part of the image.

You see there are two vertical bars: starting from left, a green one, which I think is HSYNC. Then the red one, which I don't know at this moment (and I'm too lazy to investigate, too ) what is.

In the non-TBC'd screenshot, you can see the vertical bars have very noticeable imperfections. In the other one, you can see the bars are almost straight (I would say it looks less "straight" when captured than in "live play"; could it have something to do with some "screen tearing" or whatever??).

For months, I thought the "vertical jumping" on this tape was due to tape damage or bad recording by itself, since it was the only one where it was happening. Yesterday was the 1st time that I tried playing it with TBC off and... surprise!! There is not "field jumping" anymore! Anyway I'm in a ugly situation now; image looks noticeably worse without TBC, but I cannot do any serious restoration of this tape with this annoying jumping. And I cannot think a way of removing that vertical jitter/field shifting. I previously tried http://compression.ru/video/old_film..._shift_en.html, with almost no success. I'm going to take a look at http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Stab, but, honestly, I don't enjoy applying such an ammount of processing to a clip just by a 1 or 2 line jump in one field randomly...

I'll try to upload a video capture too!

PS: I really wanted to upload the screenshots in png but was impossible due to file size limitations.

Old 19th March 2012, 13:33   #19  |  Link
Perepandel

Interesting experiment! While writing the prior post, I was trying to make a couple of new caps from the same tape. I almost became made 'cause today, with the same test scenes I used yesterd, I was getting "jumping" images with and without TBC on...

I've just realized that it was due that I was capturing in "HSYNC visible mode" --- so maybe it could be that top, left, right borders... and/on other parameters are affecting image stabilization. Or maybe my VCR TBC is generating bad sync? Or something that disturbs my capture card? I even could try with my WinTV HVR 900H card, which has a different chipset. Will keek you informed in any progress!
Old 19th March 2012, 21:52   #20  |  Link
jmac698

Hi,
In my experience there is a certain point, that if you capture too much of the left obrder, the image will lose sync because, if all of the HSYNC is visible there is none left for the capture card to process! So it's a balance, between visible HSYNC, and missing HSYNC due to the jitter. It may be, that the occassional jitter was so bad as to cause the jump. See if using less border fixes this problem.
Also I think I found that the green line is controlled by AGC delay and is not the HSYNC. The HSYNC is a very black area. In fact you can move the green line out of the way to see it better.
It is only necessary to turn up the brightness in preview to see the black line. In capture, there just has to be a clear area of black and dark grey, at the beginning of the picture.
Also did you try my script yet?

Also as I said, the jumping is not actual movement but missing an odd field. I think I can fix it.