Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th June 2011, 14:22   #1  |  Link
zimbot

10 bit video

I was wondering if anyone knew of / used a video player that will play uncompressed 10 bit video.

uncompressed 422 10 bit color space d1 file.avi or raw yuv

and

my os is ubuntu 10.4 64 bit --
thanks
zimbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 06:44   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Provided you have a 10 bit display and connection to it, MPC-HC with MadVR should be able to do this. You'd probably need to use an AVI wrapped version of the file though.

Oh.. I just realized you're on Linux... in which case no idea.
Old 8th June 2011, 08:51   #3  |  Link
Reimar

I would suspect most up-to-date players will.
Latest MPlayer (SVN, _not_ rc4) definitely will, as will ffplay (from FFmpeg) and I suspect that VLC and possibly others will, too.
Actually if it is v210 uncompressed format even MPlayer rc4 might support it, don't remember when exactly support was added.
Reimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 15:40   #4  |  Link
janos666

@Blue_MiSfit
No, MPC-HC + madVR won't (ok, it will but only through dithered 8 bit output), but MPC-HC + EVR-CP will (with real 10-bit output).
But they doesn't run on Linux anyway.
janos666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 19:17   #5  |  Link
zimbot

well
VLC will not

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic....301436#p301436

Re: 10 bit?

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:02 pm
10-bits color components has not been implemented so far.
zimbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 06:00   #6  |  Link
roozhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimar View Post
I would suspect most up-to-date players will.
Latest MPlayer (SVN, _not_ rc4) definitely will, as will ffplay (from FFmpeg) and I suspect that VLC and possibly others will, too.
Actually if it is v210 uncompressed format even MPlayer rc4 might support it, don't remember when exactly support was added.
MPlayer's video output does not support 10bits. They are always converted to 8bit.
roozhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 09:30   #7  |  Link
Reimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozhou View Post
MPlayer's video output does not support 10bits. They are always converted to 8bit.
First, I am quite convinced the question was about playing them at all not actual 10-bit output (who even has the hardware for that?).
Secondly, MPlayer's -vo gl supports up to 16 bit as long as your hardware and OpenGL driver do (with the flip side being if they don't you don't even get dithering). NVidia professional cards at least support 10 bit framebuffers, and that to my knowledge is actually tested with MPlayer. But don't ask me whether they actually can output 10 bit in some way and what kind of hardware can accept such output.
Old 10th June 2011, 10:42   #8  |  Link
lachs0r
eccentric

The "high-bit-depth" titled MPlayer2 builds on my site have been patched to support the 9/10-bit colorspaces used by H.264.
They convert to dithered 8-bit yuv420p using swscale if the output driver a) does not support high bitdepths and b) would use unscaled yuv444p (the assembly code for that conversion apparently breaks with MinGW).

As stated by Reimar, 10-bit graphics hardware and monitors supporting that bit depth are hard to find among the majority of MPlayer’s user base (most don’t even have real 8-bit monitors but actually 6-bit TN panels).
Anyway, dithering to 8 bpc makes it look good enough for most. And it sure is nice to get good-looking encoding results without having to waste a lot of bits on hardcoded dithering
lachs0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 11:58   #9  |  Link
Reimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachs0r View Post
The "high-bit-depth" titled MPlayer2 builds on my site have been patched to support the 9/10-bit colorspaces used by H.264.
They convert to dithered 8-bit yuv420p using swscale if the output driver a) does not support high bitdepths and b) would use unscaled yuv444p (the assembly code for that conversion apparently breaks with MinGW).
I admit it's a bit unfortunate that normal MPlayer builds will choose to convert to yuv444p, but I considered that a minor problem: you can use -vf format=yv12 with regular builds to avoid it.
That will also work for forcing libswscale software conversion with dithering in general.
And I should also mention that ATI's fglrx drivers are broken as always: Using 16-bit LUMINANCE16 textures (needed for 10-bit output) results in the right half of the output being a duplicate of the left.
Old 27th October 2013, 08:25   #10  |  Link
LilScrappy

please tell me how to play 10bit video MPC-HC + EVR-CP, when i use MPC-HC + MadVR work but i want to see 10bit effect in EVR-CP render, please for help !
LilScrappy is offline   Reply With Quote