Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 25th June 2011, 16:19   #921  |  Link
Aegwyn11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ney2x View Post
First, please describe and tell us your current configurations, like what TV/Monitor are you using, if it is capable of 24 or 48 refresh rate. Sometimes, stuttering are TV/monitor fault.
The TV is a Panasonic ST30 plasma, supports input of all the NTSC framerates, not sure about the PAL ones (don't care about the PAL ones anyway). I've got MPC-HC set up to change the refresh rate dependant on frame rate. 24p (23.976) auto configures to 23.976 output and both the "Default/Other" and the 29.97 (NTSC) settings are set to 59Hz.

I have no problems with movies (24p). Interlaced works fine and dandy if I set the setting in LAV CUVID to "Film mode". Set it to "Video mode" and it gets stuttery. Also, I just tried it with an episode of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (the cartoon, not the crappy movie), which is 480i, and the results seem to be the same.
Aegwyn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 17:34   #922  |  Link
ney2x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegwyn11 View Post
The TV is a Panasonic ST30 plasma, supports input of all the NTSC framerates, not sure about the PAL ones (don't care about the PAL ones anyway). I've got MPC-HC set up to change the refresh rate dependant on frame rate. 24p (23.976) auto configures to 23.976 output and both the "Default/Other" and the 29.97 (NTSC) settings are set to 59Hz.

I have no problems with movies (24p). Interlaced works fine and dandy if I set the setting in LAV CUVID to "Film mode". Set it to "Video mode" and it gets stuttery. Also, I just tried it with an episode of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (the cartoon, not the crappy movie), which is 480i, and the results seem to be the same.
Oh well, let's wait for nev or some expert here... I have Samsung LED TV and Sony Plasma and even Dell Monitor here and my playback of any kind of movies are flawless. My setup: LAV CUVID, LAV Filters, madvr, ffdshow raw video filter and Reclock -- all latest version/rev/build. Oh, do you use Reclock?
ney2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 23:19   #923  |  Link
jmone

Did you try first changing the refresh rate then commencing playback? There is certainly something Odd (have yet to get to the bottom of it) where using madVR's refresh rate changer I can not keep the final queue from dropping to Zero and hence then dropping frames in conjunction with LAVCUVID/nvidia.....

Last edited by jmone; 25th June 2011 at 23:46.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 00:41   #924  |  Link
jmone

Getting Closer to smooth playback! - I found one issue in that J.Rivers MC's "Video Clock" (aka reclock) is causing most (not all) dropped frames when ON with this combo of filters when madVR changes the refresh rate - I've posted over there.
Old 26th June 2011, 18:35   #925  |  Link
Aegwyn11

Quote:
Oh well, let's wait for nev or some expert here... I have Samsung LED TV and Sony Plasma and even Dell Monitor here and my playback of any kind of movies are flawless. My setup: LAV CUVID, LAV Filters, madvr, ffdshow raw video filter and Reclock -- all latest version/rev/build. Oh, do you use Reclock?
I'm not using Reclock and previously I was using the MPC-HC built in splitter.

Okay so I'm not sure what the heck was going on, but the problem seems to be solved. I was trying some things and started getting some ODD operation from MPC-HC where it would always stay on top and full screen, preventing me from accessing menus (like the LAV CUVID setup menu) and causing other headaches like closing MPC-HC! I had to uninstall MPC-HC (deleting all settings), reinstall, and get everything set back up. Once I got everything set back up, I changed over to LAV splitter. Now I get smooth playback with deinterlacing set to "video mode". Yay.

In short tests, it seems that I still get a hiccup here and there, so I might give Reclock a try later and see what happens, but the original problem I asked about seems to be solved.
Aegwyn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 01:14   #926  |  Link
Bryanhoop

Quote:
What is the ffdshow raw filter used for? Subtitles?
Bryanhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 01:16   #927  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanhoop View Post
Yea, that's what I'm using it for anyway. Don't know about the OP.
Old 27th June 2011, 02:00   #928  |  Link
robpdotcom

You can use the regular video decoder as well, and I believe it's basically the same. Just set it to accept raw formats, and disable decoding of whichever formats you don't want decoded.
AMD 6870

Last edited by robpdotcom; 27th June 2011 at 02:04.
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 04:19   #929  |  Link
ney2x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanhoop View Post
Yeah, subtitles, deband, sharpen. I follow the guides here
Old 27th June 2011, 23:39   #930  |  Link
sixor

hi i have been using this for some time now, working perfect so far (with mad vr)

but my question is about quality, which should give me the best quality? core avc, lav cuvid or mpchc dxva? or they are just the same?
Old 28th June 2011, 03:41   #931  |  Link
ney2x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixor View Post
hi i have been using this for some time now, working perfect so far (with mad vr)

but my question is about quality, which should give me the best quality? core avc, lav cuvid or mpchc dxva? or they are just the same?
From my own experience:
MPC-HC DXVA = not so smooth.
LAV CUVID = perfect if pair with ffdshow filters.
CoreAVC = fine, but seeking problem and not so nice support

Edit: For me, there's no difference when watching with smaller screens (22" - 32"), but with large screens (42" - above) I see some pixelation.

Last edited by ney2x; 28th June 2011 at 14:39.
Old 28th June 2011, 04:44   #932  |  Link
roozhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixor View Post

Are you talking about image quality? You cannot judge video decoders by quality. There is only two kinds of decoders, correct and incorrect. All correct decoders have exactly the same "quality".
roozhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 01:46   #933  |  Link
sixor

thanks ney2x,roozhou

then i guess will keep using lav cuvid since i like the divx support, for h264 i just canīt see a difference
Old 29th June 2011, 01:53   #934  |  Link
jmone

FYI from the madVR thread: after some quick testing with the latest MC V121 (with a clean install / default settings of madVR V66) it seems to have addressed the presentation/stuttering issues!
Old 30th June 2011, 14:28   #935  |  Link
nussman

After some test with dvbviewer pro and LiveTV i recognized some problems with format changes and channel changes (mpeg2 and h.264).
On format (channel) changes the pictures freezes several seconds or stopped until I rebuild the graph.
Dvbviewer does not rebuild the graph by format/channel changes.
LAV CUVID doesnt like on the fly format changes?

By the way LAV CUVID works very well here with correct deinterlacing (576i50 and 1080i). Thanks for your good work!
GPU= GT430
Driver= 275.33 (win7 32bit, evr custom renderer)
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 18:18   #936  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nussman View Post
After some test with dvbviewer pro and LiveTV i recognized some problems with format changes and channel changes (mpeg2 and h.264).
On format (channel) changes the pictures freezes several seconds or stopped until I rebuild the graph.
Dvbviewer does not rebuild the graph by format/channel changes.
LAV CUVID doesnt like on the fly format changes?

By the way LAV CUVID works very well here with correct deinterlacing (576i50 and 1080i). Thanks for your good work!
GPU= GT430
Driver= 275.33 (win7 32bit, evr custom renderer)
Just been testing this with DVBViewer and it doesn't do too well with H.264 1920 video.

It constantly stuttering, pausing, freezing and shows a black screen and doesn't play smoothly. It uses quite a bit of the GPU, I'm getting around 57 to 71% while it's decoding but that drops to zero when it is failing to decode the stream.

I believe it is meant to be the Video Engine that does decoding. That is what gets used when neuron's DGDecodeNV is decoding H.264 video. Comparing with CoreAVC using CUDA, the GPU load is much higher although the video engine load is a little lower than CoreAVC at around 25%.

With Mpeg2 everything works fine.

I'm using a 1GB GT 240 with the latest 275.33 drivers on Win XP SP3.

Therefore, it seems that some more work is needed to get this working correctly. I look forward to trying it when it is working better.
RedDwarf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 19:07   #937  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDwarf1 View Post
I'm using a 1GB GT 240 with the latest 275.33 drivers on Win XP SP3.
Did you try vmr9 custom renderer?
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 19:11   #938  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV CUVID Decoder 0.9

Code:
0.9 - 2011/07/05
- Slightly faster seeking
- Improvements to dynamic format changes
- Safe-Guards against crashes inside the NVIDIA decoding functions
Download: Installer (32/64-bit, CUDA 4.0+) - 32-bit (CUDA 4.0+) - 64-bit (CUDA 4.0+) -- 32-bit (Older CUDA)

This is a pretty minor release, but i wanted to get those fixes out before they rot on my disc for much longer while i work on other things. So here it is!

Have fun!

Last edited by nevcairiel; 6th July 2011 at 05:42.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 23:39   #939  |  Link
Sebastiii

Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 23:41   #940  |  Link
jmone

All good for me...