Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th November 2010, 17:23   #1  |  Link
geno888

It works in DVD Rebuilder free but not in Pro

Hi

After using the free version for a while, I decided to buy a license for DVD Rebuilder Pro. I'm satisfied about encoding quality and performance, but I found a rather annoying difference and I wonder if is me to set wrongly something in options or is something that was purposely made in Pro version.

For the most (I'd say 99% of times) I'm interested in the main movie only, and I get rid of every other stuff in the original DVD, so I use DVD Shrink to extract the main movie and save it in hard disk with no compression at all.

Because of I usually retain both English and Italian languages (it helps me to learn English language), with DVD Shrink I set Italian as default language even if in the original DVD English language was set as default. This is a must for me because most of times I watch movies in my computer, and it is really annoying to manually set the right audio track all the times.

When using DVD Rebuilder free on the saved files, the compressed movie will retain the default language set in DVD Shrink, but DVD Rebuilder Pro seems to ignore this setting, and it always set the audio track 1 as default stream.

Browsing in settings, I found that is possible to "swap" audio tracks but this seems to me the wrong way to manage audio tracks, because if I swap languages making "English --> play Italian" and vice versa can be confusing when playing the DVD on a standalone player (if the standalone is set to play Italian language as default, if I swap languages with DVD Rebuilder Pro the player will actually play the English language).

There is a way to make DVD Rebuilder Pro to retain default audio language set in DVD Shrink? Alternatively, there is a way to set a default audio track in DVD Rebuilder Pro so using Shrink first will be not necessary anymore?

Just to clarify, the only reason why I use Shrink first is to set the default audio track, because I already know that DVD Rebuilder Pro allow to compress the main movie only

TIA
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 22:23   #2  |  Link
jdobbs

This problem is that I have no idea what Shrink did in order to swap the default language -- or even if it does it in a legal (per specification) manner? That's why I always discourage preprocessing. If the default was correctly changed -- it should flow through to the output as well.

Last edited by jdobbs; 24th November 2010 at 22:27.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 16:52   #3  |  Link
geno888

Hi jdobbs

Thanks for answer

I must confess that I have no idea what Shrink does to set the default language. My guess is that it sets this information in the IFO files, because the audio sequence is not changed at all (i.e. what it was the audio track number 1 in the original DVD is still the number 1 in the "shrinked" files).

What I can't understand is why the free version retain settings after extracting the movie with DVD Shrink but the Pro version doesn't

There is a way to change the default audio in DVD Rebuilder Pro so I don't need anymore to use Shrink?
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:10   #4  |  Link
geno888

Sorry for bumping this thread jdobbs

Do you have an idea why the free version works correctly and the pro version doesn't? There is a way to make also the Pro version work? Or a way to set the default audio language directly in Rebuilder
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:35   #5  |  Link
ggtop

Why don't you let DVD RB create Movie Only Backup and use audio remapping???

Or you set your desired audio stream in PGCEdit after rebuilding...

ggtop
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:49   #6  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno888 View Post
Sorry for bumping this thread jdobbs

Do you have an idea why the free version works correctly and the pro version doesn't? There is a way to make also the Pro version work? Or a way to set the default audio language directly in Rebuilder
I've already answered you. Unfortunately I can't support bug reports on preprocessed sources. In at least 90% of the reports I've gotten where other software has modified the source, the problem was with the other program, not DVD-RB.

Sorry, but I've chase these things down rabbit holes many times before...
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:46   #7  |  Link
geno888

Hi jdobbs

I wasn't asking for support about a third part software, I asked if there is a way to make Rebuilder Pro changing the default audio track directly from the original VOB files, using no third part software at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
... the problem was with the other program, not DVD-RB.
This is not true. The problem must be somewhere in Rebuilder Pro, because the free version was working perfectly.

However, I have an update

I just completed a rebuild on a full DVD as suggested by ggtop (directly on VOB files ripped from the DVD with no modification done by any software except, of course, for protections removals made by AnyDVD).

I remapped audio tracks, as suggested, but I got again the same result: the movie is played in English even if I set Rebuilder Pro to swap audio tracks (see pictures).

I don't know if is relevant, but I'm using QEnc as encoder; I'll run another test with HC soon, just for curiosity.

Any suggestions? I tried once to use PGCEdit, but after starting the program I was scared... it is definitely too complicated for me
Attached Images

Old 4th December 2010, 20:05   #8  |  Link
geno888

Another update: using HC makes no difference at all. The rebuild movie still continue to use as default the wrong audio track
Old 5th December 2010, 20:09   #9  |  Link
geno888

Again update (just in case someone is interested)

I tried to use PGCEdit to set the default audio language, but I had no success at all. Maybe PGCEdit is the most powerful piece of software available, but is definitely not usable at all by most of users... it's way too complicated to have an idea of what to do. I found a ton of guides, but nothing explaining me the thing I want to do. Bottom line: I wasn't able to set the default audio language. The only thing I was able to obtain is change names, i.e. the English audio stream is shown as Italian but it is still English.

However, after all this waste of time (I rebuild three different movies just in case the error I got was present only on a specific movie), I finally found a workaround... after Rebuilder finishes its job, I run DVD Shrink to set the default audio language, and this time it works

Of course, the solution appears so obvious after you find it...

So, if someone is interested, currently the only easy and very quick way to set a default audio language is to use DVD Shrink.

I'd like to add that this trick (i.e. using DVD Shrink after rebuild is complete) is useful also for forced subtitles, that often are not shown by default, so forcing them is very nice

Maybe in future jdobbs will find some time to add this feature to a future release of DVD Rebuilder Pro, but seeing the amount of work required to develop BD-RB I'm pretty sure that this will not happen anytime soon
Old 7th December 2010, 10:23   #10  |  Link
ggtop

I'm just curious. Do you use audio remapping feature before or after rebuilding? Do you use 1 Click?

IIRC there is a difference in audio remapping between free and pro version: Free Version alters the address of the stream and Pro maps the stream number to another address. But I'm not sure.

Normally a standalone plays audio at address 0x80 by default.
If you have a movie only backup the player doesn't care about your language settings.

I'll make a test at home to verify what I've wrote...

In PGCEdit just double-click the title with the movie and alter the stream numbers in "Audio VOBs Streams".

ggtop
Old 8th December 2010, 20:36   #11  |  Link
ggtop

OK, I made some tests now and it worked like I expected it to be, but slightly differs from what I've wrote earlier.
My test DVD has 3 audio streams:
stream #1, german, 6ch @ 0x80
stream #2, german, 2ch @ 0x81
stream #3, english, 6ch @ 0x82
(can be seen with pgcedit/ifoedit)

I made 2 movie only backups using DVD RB 1.28.2:
On the first one I made no changes for audio remapping.
Software player (MPC HC) and stand-alone (burned onto DVD-RW) are set to german as default language and stream #1 is played as default as it is the first stream matching my preference.
On the second attempt I used audio reampping and switched stream #1 and #3. With the same preferences audio stream #2 is played as default, because it is the first stream tagged as german:
stream #1, english, 6ch @ 0x82
stream #2, german, 2ch @ 0x81
stream #3, german, 6ch @ 0x80

If I switch to english as my desired audio language on stand alone or software player stream #3 on the first test and stream #1 on the second is played as default.

So to be honest I don't know why you have to switch the audio streams in order to get the right one played back automatically...

The only reason I could think of is that you don't burn as Video DVD. In that case you wouldn't play the program described in the ifo file but the VOBs and they default to the first audio address (0x80 for AC3) and do not care about streams as they are definied at ifo level.

Hope that helps

ggtop
Old 9th December 2010, 17:19   #12  |  Link
geno888

Hi Sorry for late answer

My problem is not the standalone player. I already set it to play Italian as primary language, so whatever is the first audio track set in the DVD, my standalone automatically plays Italian language directly.

The problem is when I watch the movie on my computer, because I can find nowhere a way to make VLC (the software I use to watch my movies) to play Italian language first, so every time I watch a movie with VLC it plays the first audio track, and most of times it is not Italian language. So I have to manually switch language.

This is very annoying because I notice that the wrong language is set only when someone starts to talk, so I have to stop movie, change audio track, go back a little and start again playback. To change audio track, VLC requires to open three submenu (see picture). Very very annoying

This is the reason why I need to set Italian language as First audio track. Currently I was able to do this only with DVD Shrink after Rebuilder finishes its job.

I tried the audio remapping with Rebuilder Pro, but it didn't work at all: VLC again plays the wrong audio language all the time

I also tried to swap audio tracks with PGCEdit, but again it didn't work at all. Opening with DVD Shrink files modified with PGCEdit still shows audio tracks in the same order of the original DVD, so basically I have no idea what PGCEdit actually modified (if it actually did some modification at all). Also VLC shows audio tracks in the same order of the original DVD, so I don't think that is something related to DVD Shrink.

What really confuse me is that the free version of DVD-Rebuilder was working correctly, and the Pro version doesn't
Attached Images

Old 9th December 2010, 17:45   #13  |  Link
Ghitulescu

You can't force VLC to a specific language. The order is that of the first packet found, then the second etc. not that of the PIDs.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 20:55   #14  |  Link
ggtop

According to your initial post I thought you're also having problems with your stand-alone. That's why I made the test discs.

So my advice is to use another player. MPC-HC is very good e.g. You can set your DVD playback preferences and let it integrate in the context menu for right-click on a VIDEO_TS folder playback. Very convinient...and it works

It's unfair to say that DVD RB doesn't work correctly because you use a player that is obviously not intended to be used for DVD playback. DVDRB is a real masterpiece...thanks to jdobbs.

BTW I love the audio remapping feature in the Pro version because you can reuse streams, but this is not really useful for Movie Only.

ggtop
Old 10th December 2010, 01:06   #15  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
You can't force VLC to a specific language. The order is that of the first packet found, then the second etc. not that of the PIDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtop View Post
It's unfair to say that DVD RB doesn't work correctly because you use a player that is obviously not intended to be used for DVD playback
Both of you guys are incorrect. I do not know if you might be using an ancient version of VLC, but the current versions do of course have an option to set the preferred audio language. Look under Extras -> Settings -> Audio -> Title -> Preferred Audio Language. And a statement that VLC is obviously not intended to be used for DVD playback is simply ridiculous. VLC is at least as capable as MPC-HC when it comes to DVD playback.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 12:51   #16  |  Link
geno888

Thanks a lot manolito

I was using version 1.0.5 of VLC, and it wasn't possible to set default language.

Now I'm using version 1.1.5, and indeed the problem is solved
Old 10th December 2010, 15:12   #17  |  Link
ggtop

I used VLC 1.12 portable for testing and upgraded to 1.15 afterwards with the same result. There is a setting as manolito described, but I don't know what to enter there. There's no drop down list...language code or language name...only the developer knows! VLC is really bad on menu playback. Button highlighting doesn't work correctly and looks terrible. And there seems to be a bug with audio as well: When playing back my test disc on which I switched the PIDs earlier (stream #1, english, 6ch @ 0x82; stream #2, german, 2ch @ 0x81; stream #3, german, 6ch @ 0x80) VLC indicates to play stream #2, but the sound is english.

I'll stick to MPC.

@geno888: I'm glad to hear you finally found a way to get your desired goal!

ggtop
Old 10th December 2010, 21:29   #18  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtop View Post
There is a setting as manolito described, but I don't know what to enter there. There's no drop down list...language code or language name...only the developer knows!
Ever heard of tool tips? Just position the mouse pointer over the option, and a tool tip will pop up telling you exactly what to enter (2- or 3-letter country code separated by commas). This is not all that hard....

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 01:48   #19  |  Link
ggtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Ever heard of tool tips? Just position the mouse pointer over the option, and a tool tip will pop up telling you exactly what to enter (2- or 3-letter country code separated by commas). This is not all that hard....

Cheers
manolito
Thanks, found the tool tip. But VLC stills doesn't play what it indicates (after audio remapping). BTW MPC does.

ggtop