Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th December 2009, 00:34   #1  |  Link
GaBBa-Gandalf

Some questions about H.264 and GPGPU

Hello guys,

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of knowleage about x264 encoder / decoder etc....

Here are some questions i would like answered:

1. ATI and nvidia have quite a few options to use the gpu to calculate task around encoding... ATI = Stream, nvidia = Cuda...
Which technology is easier to use and which would you recommend?

2. You can encode movie files to x264 (or h.264 ?) ... Which method would you recommend (CPU or GPU)?

3. What is the best application (encoder / gui) right now to get good quality?

4. Are there some tutorials that explain all these x264 settings and show which setting should you use for good quality?

4. I read something about for example the newer gpu generation having some options to accelerate HD-Movies (depending on the codec). Which GPU would you recommend for htpc?

I also have tons of other questions - but i guess that should be enough for this moment

Thanks,

GaBBa

Last edited by Guest; 29th December 2009 at 02:04. Reason: rule 12
GaBBa-Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 00:43   #2  |  Link
Chengbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBBa-Gandalf View Post
1. ATI and nvidia have quite a few options to use the gpu to calculate task around encoding... ATI = Stream, nvidia = Cuda...
Which technology is easier to use and which would you recommend?
Utterly useless if you care the slightest bit about quality

Quote:
2. You can encode movie files to x264 (or h.264 ?) ... Which method would you recommend (CPU or GPU)?
H.264 is the video format. x264 is the name of the software that takes a video and converts it to H.264.

Always use x264

Quote:
3. What is the best application (encoder / gui) right now to get the best / "highest" quality?
Read the rules. It is not allowed to ask what's best. Best is subjective.

Quote:
4. Are there some tutorials that explain all these x264 settings and show which setting should you use for good quality?
http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings

Quote:
4. I read something about for example the newer gpu generation having some options to accelerate HD-Movies (depending on the codec). Which GPU would you recommend for htpc?
Price?
Chengbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 00:46   #3  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:

3. What is the best application (encoder / gui) right now to get the best / "highest" quality?
x264 is a piece of software. It runs on your CPU. There is no "x264 for GPU". And while asking what is "best" is against the rules, one can certainly say that in terms of compression, none of the currently available GPU encoders are competitive.
Quote:
Read the --help and use the presets.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 00:50   #4  |  Link
GaBBa-Gandalf

Thanks for the information.
OK. sry.. Then I will ask, which encoder would you use or recommend...?

Price? It doesn't really mather... I thought about an ATI HD 5750 or an GeForce GT 240...

PS Thanks for that link...
Old 28th December 2009, 00:52   #5  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Thanks for the information.
OK. sry.. Then I will ask, which encoder would you use or recommend...?
What, do you think I'd recommend something other than x264?
Old 28th December 2009, 01:09   #6  |  Link
GaBBa-Gandalf

I guess not

It is so .... I don't have all the knowlage like you guys have... (you have my respect )
I'm just searching for an easy but good application where I can configurate alle important settings....

It is a bummer that the gpu-encoding isn't competitive yet ... I guess to encode videos needs very long time with a normal cpu ..

GaBBa
Old 28th December 2009, 01:14   #7  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
It is a bummer that the gpu-encoding isn't competitive yet ... I guess to encode videos needs very long time with a normal cpu ..
Completely unrelated.

GPU encoders are fast and crap because they do very minimal analysis. x264 is also fast and crap if you tell it to do very minimal analysis, with --preset ultrafast or --preset veryfast.

The main difference is that GPU encoders don't have any options other than "fast and crap".
Quote:
I'm just searching for an easy but good application where I can configurate alle important settings....
If you're looking for a GUI, there are literally dozens: Handbrake, Staxrip, Ripbot264, ASXGui, HDConvertToX, and many more...

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 28th December 2009 at 01:16.
Old 28th December 2009, 01:16   #8  |  Link
GaBBa-Gandalf

OK thanks for your information so far... I guess i still have to read a lot
Old 28th December 2009, 04:09   #9  |  Link
cogman
The Crazy Idahoan

Quote:
OK thanks for your information so far... I guess i still have to read a lot
Check out the AVC gui forum here. A lot of the options available are listed there.

Staxrip is a common choice, MeGui is also common but not recommended. (it USED to be all right, but it has gone down hill pretty fast)

Personally I prefer straight x264 + avisynth + avs2yuv. You lose the pretty buttons, but gain full control.

BTW. Your question #1
AMD has pretty much abandoned their attempt at a GPGPU language. So now the only choices are CUDA (not for AMD) and OpenCL (Have they implemented it yet at the driver level?).

From what I've experienced, cuda is overly complex to use. I still haven't gotten a working simple program to compile and run with it. OpenCl seams promising, however, I haven't compiled a single program with it yet either.

For inter-card operability, OpenCL is going to be the way to go. It has the support of AMD, Intel, and nVidia. Cuda is only for nVidia cards.

Last edited by cogman; 28th December 2009 at 04:12.
cogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 11:16   #10  |  Link
julius666

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogman View Post
AMD has pretty much abandoned their attempt at a GPGPU language. So now the only choices are CUDA (not for AMD) and OpenCL (Have they implemented it yet at the driver level?).
Yes, they have:
http://developer.amd.com/GPU/ATISTRE...s/default.aspx
julius666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 22:42   #11  |  Link
Caroliano

Quote:
From what I've experienced, cuda is overly complex to use. I still haven't gotten a working simple program to compile and run with it. OpenCl seams promising, however, I haven't compiled a single program with it yet either.
Complex??? Look how small and simple is an Hello World program for cuda:
http://mihirknows.blogspot.com/2008/...m-cuda_03.html
[/sarcasm]

Ok, jokes aside, an simple program that is probably compilable:
http://mihirknows.blogspot.com/2008/...with-cuda.html

And no, I don't know programming. I'm only sharing some links.

Last edited by Caroliano; 29th December 2009 at 03:38. Reason: Made more clear the joke
Caroliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 02:08   #12  |  Link

Quote:
MeGui is also common but not recommended. (it USED to be all right, but it has gone down hill pretty fast)
Zathor is putting out new versions that are just fine and work well with the latest x264.exe.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 02:11   #13  |  Link
aegisofrime

Did you see how long that Hello World code was? A C++ program will do it in 5 lines.

Of course, the main problem is that CUDA doesn't support strings, as the article said. I guess x264 mainly deals with numbers so it won't be that big of a problem, but still... CUDA looks like a pain to code for. Not that I'm an expert programmer or anything.
aegisofrime is offline   Reply With Quote