Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 17th December 2009, 21:53   #1  |  Link
shamoo

whats the difference in m2ts/ts & mkv?

Got a couple of question i'm hoping you can answer for me..

When i back up my blu-ray movie to my hd it saves it into a bd folder which is full of m2ts files. Then using tsmuxer i convert it into either m2ts or ts file. A friend of mine has a blu-ray movie in a mkv file, whats the difference?

Also i am looking into streaming my movies, and whilst shopping i came across this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digi.../ref=de_a_smtd

have a look on youtube as it looks really really good..
Does anyone have one of these because i am really interested, my only problem is that whilst streaming from pc-ps3 the quality is brilliant apart from the black colours which look quite bad, is this media player the same quality as a disc?

lastly how can i convert my m2ts/ts files to mkv? i want no lose of quality in picture or sound..

thanks everyone!!

Last edited by Guest; 18th December 2009 at 00:22. Reason: rule 6
shamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 05:15   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!
Quote:
A friend of mine has a blu-ray movie in a mkv file, whats the difference?
Your friend's .MKV won't play in a standalone BluRay player.

Quote:
how can i convert my m2ts/ts files to mkv?
I'm personally not aware of any benefit to be gained by doing this - so I'll ask you:

What you expect to gain by making such a conversion?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 10:41   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
[Color=Blue]Your friend's .MKV won't play in a standalone BluRay player.
There are players that do play MKV, however their size is restricted to 4GB. Look for some LGs or for the last JVC (xvbp1) which is almost a clone of LG 390.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 11:43   #4  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
There are players that do play MKV, however their size is restricted to 4GB. Look for some LGs or for the last JVC (xvbp1) which is almost a clone of LG 390.
I read in another thread a post of yours about 4GB limit. It is not a problem at all, because you can always split the original MKV into 4gb chunks and play it.

You can do it with mkvmerge or with one of my tools splitMKV which will also split the external .SRT subtitles if present in the same folder.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:46   #5  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by deank View Post
I read in another thread a post of yours about 4GB limit. It is not a problem at all, because you can always split the original MKV into 4gb chunks and play it.

You can do it with mkvmerge or with one of my tools splitMKV which will also split the external .SRT subtitles if present in the same folder.
It's in the manual - I don't currently have an LG so I cannot comment. I hope for those having an LG that it works as you suggested. Would be great, indeed, as being a nice alternative to MediaTanks (popcorn, tvix etc.).
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 11:22   #6  |  Link
baudi

The best Blu-Ray players supporting mkv are Dune BD Prime 3.0.
baudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 11:53   #7  |  Link
idbirch2

I have a Samsung BluRay player which will play MKVs from an NTFS drive over 4GB with no problems (direct remux of Transformers 2 for example plays fine).

In answer to the original question, MKV, TS and M2TS are simply different containers, you can remux from one to any of the others, with the actual video and audio streams staying the same. The WDTV you mentioned is OK, those types of players a 10 a penny these days, there's plenty of choice. If you want to stream to your PS3, try PS3MediaServer.
idbirch2 is offline   Reply With Quote