Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 11th December 2009, 09:34   #1  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

MultiX264 - exploring X264 encoding! (was MicroX264) - 08/10/2010

Hi all

MultiX264 is a simple gui, aimed for encoding with x264 codec in any way users wants

MultiX264 offers automatic encoding i 1 pass, 2 pass, CRF, QP,
Offers Preset and Tuning and custom x264 options

MultiX264 offers autocrop, denoisers, deinterlacers and powerful queue

It offers also the possibility to encode audio using ac3to or avisynth or ffmpeg
MultiX264 will automatically load all dll present in \filters folders

The input file can be processed using automatic avisynth decoder (ffmpegsource, dss, dgsource..), direct encoding using x264 (lavf, ffms, dss, auto...), or piping ffmpeg or mencoder

MultiX264 is bundled with beta release of x264 with filter support.
The filter support is used to apply crop and resizing when using direct x264 decoding

http://www.64k.it/andres/data/microx...264_rev675.rar

update exe : http://www.64k.it/andres/data/microx264/MultiX264.exe

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8

Last edited by buzzqw; 8th October 2010 at 10:59. Reason: update
buzzqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 14:44   #2  |  Link

What development environment did you use? One of the downsides of MEGUI (IMHO) was the managed code and WinForms.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 15:33   #3  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

I develop all my applications with PureBasic http://purebasic.com/

very fast and clean code

BHH
Old 11th December 2009, 22:13   #4  |  Link
Brazil2

I like it, light and easy to use

I had troubles when using the crop syntax of Avisynth + resize though, I got only a distorted top of the image at the end.

And also a suggestion: let us choose the format of the output, raw h264 or MKV or MP4. It would be nice to have the audio muxed as well since you are using MKVmerge it shouldn't be hard to do. And you could also use MP4Box for muxing video + audio in MP4
Brazil2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 22:29   #5  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

avisynth use is a little tricky .. i know.. but wasn't mean to be used "seriously"

about your distorted image.. please post the crop and resize values (or a image of the configure)

BHH
Old 11th December 2009, 22:59   #6  |  Link
Brazil2

The source is 1920*1080 but the 'real' image part is 2.21:1
Crop 0,102,0,-102
Spline64Resize 704,320

Which is working fine in Avisynth. But at the end with MicroX264 I got only the top of the image vertically stretched.
And also I've just noticed that the final framerate is wrong: the source is 23.976 FPS but the final file is 25 FPS. Take care that you must send the FPS info to MKVmerge otherwise it will assume 25 FPS by default.
Old 11th December 2009, 23:03   #7  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

dont' add the "-" minus, just write as in example 0,102,0,102

thanks for fps hint

BHH
Old 12th December 2009, 00:19   #8  |  Link
Brazil2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzqw View Post
dont' add the "-" minus, just write as in example 0,102,0,102
That did it, thanks
Old 12th December 2009, 07:16   #9  |  Link
amgeex

I suppose this gui will be actively mantained? Nice work so far!
amgeex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 19:02   #10  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

@buzzqw
I think you should finally focus on one GUI. You've created so many guis but in fact all are more or less the same. Maybe it is time to go one step further and learn how to redirect console output to gui. Each your gui simply executes console which is a little bit lame in my opinion. If this is not possible in VB perhaps you should switch to Delphi. Also I see no percentage progress in console output. Take this as constructive criticism and not as personal attack.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 12th December 2009 at 19:06.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 20:00   #11  |  Link
Betsy25

I'm not will to be nor sound rude, but this also means HDConvertToX has (just like the previous one) reached the point where most open bugs are "too hard" to fix, and this one is (once again) started to silently lay the previous one to rest (once again) only to do the very same thing with this one once you get to the same point where fixing the same bugs is too hard ?

Sorry, It's also meant as a positive criticism, although it may clear sound otherwise, but I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Last edited by Betsy25; 12th December 2009 at 20:03.
Betsy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 02:30   #12  |  Link
prOnorama

+ simple .avs input accepted (without the program trying to override it)

- no (custom) x264 profiles (OK just 1 command line option), also after closing the program the custom x264 command line is forgotten;
- no ETA/progress percentage shown on x264 console;
- GUI doesn't let you set/remember default mode (always CRF while I'd want 2 pass as default);
- no possibilty to keep original audio (like AC3 from DVD)
- no x264 log saved after encoding
prOnorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 04:58   #13  |  Link
sreg0r

I guess all programs have their pros / cons. The most direct comparison I can make is to SimpleLauncher and for me I agree with most of prOnorama in that it would be good if it displayed an ETA, saved your settings from the last run and saved a log. I generally do my avisynth script manually first so being able to process them with this tool using a queue is really great and must commend you on a great new tool.
sreg0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 09:35   #14  |  Link
Sharc

Sorry to say that I see no justification for this GUI, I would rather prefer to see HDC being properly maintained - I hope HDC won't be silently abandoned. Of course it's entirely up to buzzqw how he wants to spend his time, but I am afraid users will have to report similar issues all over again......
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 09:49   #15  |  Link
medp7060

I recently start to test x264, hoping eventually I will use it in replace of xvid in my encoding. In the last few days of research, I just found there are so many GUIs overthere. I have tested a few and none of them are simple and easy to use. I come to a question: if only all the developers worked togther and got a GUI well-maintained and documented, like Xvid!
medp7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 09:53   #16  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by medp7060 View Post
I recently start to test x264, hoping eventually I will use it in replace of xvid in my encoding. In the last few days of research, I just found there are so many GUIs overthere. I have tested a few and none of them are simple and easy to use. I come to a question: if only all the developers worked togther and got a GUI well-maintained and documented, like Xvid!
Xvid never had an official well-maintained and documented GUI either, unless you mean AutoGK, which was hardly good either and certainly not official.

And if you think Handbrake, Staxrip, and Ripbot264 are all harder to use than any of the various crappy Xvid GUIs, you're pretty much nuts.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 09:54   #17  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

@Atak_Snajpera and others

Dont' warry Atak, since i am not a professional developer i don't get it as personal attack
i code for fun (not my profession) i and like to build something around x264/ffmpegsource/avs2yuv. Nothing more or less (btw i can read stdout/in .. i a am just a little lazy )

I want create something that will no need update for x264 changing

Someone could accept it as a simple gui for x264 (as it want to be), or can see the another gui without the top features

this is a simple gui for x264. isn't aimed as fully replacement of HDC.
Never more isn't aimed as fully features x264/audio/dvd/whatelse gui.

Users should see it as way to encode file with x264.
So you will never see in this gui these :

- no (custom) x264 profiles (OK just 1 command line option), also after closing the program the custom x264 command line is forgotten;
- no ETA/progress percentage shown on x264 console;
- GUI doesn't let you set/remember default mode (always CRF while I'd want 2 pass as default);
- no possibilty to keep original audio (like AC3 from DVD)
- no x264 log saved after encoding

I actually have 2 project HDC and AutoMen, and both are fully in active development.

BHH
Old 13th December 2009, 10:14   #18  |  Link
medp7060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Xvid never had an official well-maintained and documented GUI either, unless you mean AutoGK, which was hardly good either and certainly not official.

And if you think Handbrake, Staxrip, and Ripbot264 are all harder to use than any of the various crappy Xvid GUIs, you're pretty much nuts.
Sorry you missed my point. Lots of good developers worked togther and eventually produced the best xvid codec, which beats the DIVX! Gknot was one of the best Xvid GUI. it is for all levels of users, even for nuts like me!
medp7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 10:21   #19  |  Link
prOnorama

@ buzzqw: Sorry but the points I listed above are hardly dependent on x264 features changing.

Anyway I thought this might be aimed at a bit more experienced users but like this it's not very user friendly. Or maybe it's aimed at newbies but I think they might find it too hard to use and too "non automated". So it's stuck in the middle I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzqw
I actually have 2 project HDC and AutoMen, and both are fully in active development.
But there are 5 programs listed in your sig (not counting this one) so

Anyway I'll leave on a positive note:

+ I really like the simple layout and looks of this GUI
prOnorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 10:52   #20  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
I just found there are so many GUIs overthere. I have tested a few and none of them are simple and easy to use.
If RipBot264 is too complicated for you so you better stop thinking about video encoding at all! Even monkey knows how to encode in ripbot264

@buzzqw
Quote:
Dont' warry Atak, since i am not a professional developer i don't get it as personal attack
I'm not a professional developer either. I just like things to be done properly. I was always wondering why HDC has to have such crazy version numbering??? v.2.2.525.3836 (HDC) Are you obsessed with number or what Even Windows has simpler version numbering.
I will say it again. Lord_Mulder made better gui and I see no reason to invent a wheel again. Just Focus on ONE project at time.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 13th December 2009 at 11:10.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote