Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 28th August 2009, 10:49   #1  |  Link
jollye

Is this a bug?

Hi all,

I encountered what I think is a small bug and want to report it.
I am using the plugin auto-load feature i.e. I put all my plugins into the plugins directory of AviSynth so that they load automatically when I start a script.
Sometimes when I modify a plugin of mine, I want to keep the old version so I rename its extension to something else. For example, I add .old at its end so that the old version is not recognized as a dll and not loaded by AviSynth. However I noticed that if I only add one character after the dll extension it doesn't seem to be taken into account and the file is loaded as if it was named dll. I noticed that with a plugin renamed ".dll_".
It seems AviSynth only checks the first 3 chars of the extension. if they match "dll" it loads it. Or is this a wanted feature?

jollye
jollye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 00:37   #2  |  Link
shoopdabloop

Most extensions are only three characters, which is probably the reason.
shoopdabloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 09:28   #3  |  Link
JohannesL
AviSynth/x264 user

Not .avsi, though.
Old 31st August 2009, 09:58   #4  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

The behaviour seems to be a feature of Windows.
Avisynth uses the Win functions FindFirstFile/FindNextFile to search the plugins folder. For plugins, it uses "*.dll" as the search string and it appears that this also returns any file whose extension starts with "dll" (perhaps because files with long names or extensions also have a short name for DOS compatibility).

(Open a command prompt on your plugins folder and type "dir *.dll" - you will find it lists any files with extension "dll_" as well.)

So to stop a dll from being loaded, change the extension to "_dll", for example, or add a further extension like ".old".

OTOH, .avsi can be renamed to .avsx to prevent loading, since searching for "*.avsi" only returns files with exactly that extension (because it's more than 3 chars).
Gavino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 04:28   #5  |  Link
stickboy
AviSynth Enthusiast

You can try disabling the Win95TruncatedExtensions registry key:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx

Note that it only affects newly-named files, not existing files, and it requires a reboot to take effect.
stickboy is offline   Reply With Quote