Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 31st July 2008, 06:53   #1  |  Link
Roscoe62

Why can't eac3to find Arcsoft DTS decoder?

I need some help!

I've just purchased Arcsoft Total Media Theater - mainly because I know that, combined with eac3to, I can get bit-perfect decoding of DTS MA audio tracks on Blu-Ray.

However, when I installed TMT and then ran the eac3to -test I get

"ArcSoft DTS Decoder doesn't seem to be installed"

I ran this test 10 times - always the same error message. I've run TMT with a BluRay disc with a DTS MA audio track to make sure it's working - it is. I can see the Arcsoft filters available within Graphedit (although I don't know how to use those filters in a graph yet).

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling TMT - didn't make any difference.

I'm currently using eac3to version 2.56 and the version of the TMT application shows as 2.1.6.120 (if that's useful to anyone). I am currently running WinXP + SP3, and even after searching the main eac3to thread from page 265 where others were experiencing issues getting eac3to & TMT to talk to each other I didn't find an answer that works for me.

I decided in desperation to post here as the main post is pretty huge as it is, but if anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
Roscoe62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 08:08   #2  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

In GraphEdit build a graph which contains the ArcSoft "HD" Audio Decoder. Then save that to XML and post the contents of the XML file here.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 09:56   #3  |  Link
Roscoe62

Well, this is a bit weird. I set up the filter graph as follows...

File source (async) -> Arcsoft MPEG Demuxer -> Arcsoft Audio Decoder HD.

I managed to get the Arcsoft MPEG Demuxer into the graph OK, but when I selected the Arcsoft Audio Decoder HD to bring it into the graph I got the following error message...

The filter could not be created. Resources used by this filter may already be in use. Unspecified error (Return code: 0x80004005)

This is immediately after a reboot so there should be nothing left in memory.
Old 31st July 2008, 10:32   #4  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Well, there you have the problem. If GraphEdit can't properly get an instance of that filter, so can't eac3to. You need to get this problem solved. Then eac3to will probably work, too. I'd suggest that you cleanup your temporary files folder. If that doesn't help, uninstall ArcSoft another time, then manually cleanup all ArcSoft related folders and then reinstall...
Old 31st July 2008, 11:29   #5  |  Link
Roscoe62

Well I guess that's one step forward - finding what the problem is, but the solution is ending up a bit harder to track down.

I did all you suggested - deleted all windows temp files/folders, rebooted, uninstalled TMT, looked for any instances of arcsoft anywhere and delete them (I did this, but it didn't leave much behind at all), reboot, re-install and reboot again......still no luck!

I'm trying to fish around the arcsoft forums but it looks like not many there use graphedit.

Any possible pointers are appreciated!!!
Old 31st July 2008, 12:15   #6  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I've no idea what's going on. It seems to work for everyone else. Your last resort may have to be reinstalling Windows...
Old 31st July 2008, 16:59   #7  |  Link
EPiPH0NE
b4k3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe62 View Post
Well I guess that's one step forward - finding what the problem is, but the solution is ending up a bit harder to track down.

I did all you suggested - deleted all windows temp files/folders, rebooted, uninstalled TMT, looked for any instances of arcsoft anywhere and delete them (I did this, but it didn't leave much behind at all), reboot, re-install and reboot again......still no luck!

I'm trying to fish around the arcsoft forums but it looks like not many there use graphedit.

Any possible pointers are appreciated!!!
Have you tried the AVS forums?
EPiPH0NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 17:04   #8  |  Link
ddeell72

I also met the same problum......

PC Audio-Visual Supporter!
ddeell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 17:19   #9  |  Link
EPiPH0NE
b4k3d

Are you guys having problems with any other filters? If not, then you should uninstall any codec packs you may have...unistall ArcSoft.....install CCCP....update Haali splitter....re-install Arcsoft...I would at least try this before anything too drastic like re-installing windows. I am using TME v1.0.6.29 without issue.
Old 31st July 2008, 17:34   #10  |  Link
menno
Nero AG engineer

Did you check version numbers of the filter? It might be that Arcsoft restricted usage to only their applications on newer versions.
menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 18:14   #11  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by menno View Post
Did you check version numbers of the filter? It might be that Arcsoft restricted usage to only their applications on newer versions.
Yeah, that might be possible...
Old 31st July 2008, 18:14   #12  |  Link
EPiPH0NE
b4k3d

Quote:

Yeah that too.....you need to have ArcSoft DTS decoder v1.1.0.0
Old 31st July 2008, 18:16   #13  |  Link
menno
Nero AG engineer

Probably DTS also reads the news on the front page :P
Old 31st July 2008, 18:19   #14  |  Link
EPiPH0NE
b4k3d

Quote:
Probably DTS also reads the news on the front page :P
Yeah.....................to learn
Old 31st July 2008, 19:04   #15  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

[rant]

I have to say that I don't really understand Dolby and DTS. I mean they get money from the manufacturers. They get money from the studios. They get money from ArcSoft, Nero and Cyberlink. What else do they want? Why do they still have to limit their decoders to only work with the specific media player the decoder came with? Do they want us end users to (indirectly) pay license fees to them again and again for every different piece of software we're using? All they'll get with such a restrictive and money gready attitude in the end is that some open source programmer will probably sooner or later reverse engineer their decoder and add the code to ffmpeg/libav...

The way I see it I simply want to buy a decoder from Dolby and DTS and then be able to use it with any DirectShow media player I like. But such an offer simply doesn't exist! That is a crazy business practise in my opinion because Dolby/DTS seem to do all they possibly can to build up motivation to reverse engineer their decoders...

If ArcSoft has really crippled their DirectShow decoder then once again there's no easy legal way for us end users to decode DTS-HD tracks in open source media players. That is really really a stupid idea by DTS.

[/rant]
Old 31st July 2008, 19:15   #16  |  Link
EPiPH0NE
b4k3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
If ArcSoft has really crippled their DirectShow decoder then once again there's no easy legal way for us end users to decode DTS-HD tracks in open source media players.
[/rant]

Sure there is...just use the older versions of the decoders. Now that you have support for the ArcSoft decoders we should be fine with DTS-MA decoding for quite some time....Nero 7 is still good for DD+ decoding so I don't see why the ArcSoft v1.1.0.0 decoders won't be just as good for DTS-MA a year, two, or three down the line. Unless they make some drastic changes to the DTS-MA specs, which I doubt they will, we should be fine using this version. I understand your frustration but DTS/Dolby are in this for money and people like you and I are in this for fun...there's a big difference.
Old 31st July 2008, 22:56   #17  |  Link
Roscoe62

Well, it would be useful to prove, one way or the other, that that is what's actually going on - i.e. - that Arcsoft have now made their decoders only available to their own applications, because at the moment we're only guessing that's what the problem is. I really hope that isn't the case, but we need to prove that first.

I will try to find out what I can from avsforums, but is anyone able to help me determine which version of the decoders I have? That'd be a good place to start.

BTW....Madshi, I agree totally with what you say. The fact remains that if it wasn't for talented and generous developers like you, I probably wouldn't have bothered with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD because I wouldn't be able to create movies in a format that are able to be played MY WAY, in the player of MY CHOICE. So again, thank you!
Old 31st July 2008, 23:08   #18  |  Link
menno
Nero AG engineer

Find the .ax file for the filter, the version number should be mentioned in the file properties, just like for an exe or dll file.

Of course there are other reasons why the filter might not be working.
Old 31st July 2008, 23:27   #19  |  Link
Roscoe62

OK, I checked the dtsdecoderdll.dll file and the version no. shown there is 1.1.0.0 which I think is correct, right?

The ASAudioHD.ax file is showing version 1.3.2.60 - don't know if that's even relevant.

BTW - I went to the ArcSoft site and it appears the version I have is dated 29 July 2008, so it's very new. Again, I don't know if this is important or not.
Old 1st August 2008, 06:51   #20  |  Link
yonta

Try adding this folder to your path environment variable.

c:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcSoft\Bin

This worked for me.
yonta is offline   Reply With Quote