Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 29th April 2008, 01:20   #1  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

Quality Improvement From Video Capture

I have a digital stream from the digital cable box captured via firewire. It appears to already be dvd-compliant 704x480 MPEG-2.

Do you guys think any avisynth filters would potentially yield a nicer result if I re-encoded it?

Here's a sample of the video: http://www.filefactory.com/file/6d5e09

And a couple stills (ImageShack doesn't support PNG anymore):
http://rapidshare.de/files/39259894/...tills.zip.html

Last edited by EpheMeroN; 29th April 2008 at 01:22.
EpheMeroN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 03:39   #2  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

MCbob rm_logo dfttest crop+spline36resize

This is the bare minimum.

edit: just had a doubt in my mind... is this rule 6 violation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpheMeroN View Post
I have a digital stream from the digital cable box captured via firewire.

Last edited by thetoof; 29th April 2008 at 03:58.
thetoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 05:38   #3  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

It's from regular television... no need for rule violations!

And MCbob would be to double framerate yes? Why would I want to do this? The stream is 704x480 29.976fps wouldn't I only want to bob this video if I was to filter it with a denoiser or something?
Old 29th April 2008, 14:54   #4  |  Link
2Bdecided

It appears the closed caption data is on-screen in the very top line, so maybe crop that - but is it worth it? I'd leave it as it is.

Cheers,
David.
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 19:45   #5  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

MCBob().Selecteven() would keep the original framerate. To my eyes, deinterlaced video always looks better (if you play it on a TV, you won't notice the difference, but when you play it on a computer, the program has to deinterlace on playback, which is always worse that what a great mocomped bobber like MCbob can do)
Old 29th April 2008, 20:12   #6  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
It appears the closed caption data is on-screen in the very top line, so maybe crop that - but is it worth it? I'd leave it as it is.

Cheers,
David.
Yea I noticed that too. I was going to crop it out, but only if I was going to re-encode it because I'm putting this on a dvd and a tv's overscan would hide that top line anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoof View Post
MCBob().Selecteven() would keep the original framerate. To my eyes, deinterlaced video always looks better (if you play it on a TV, you won't notice the difference, but when you play it on a computer, the program has to deinterlace on playback, which is always worse that what a great mocomped bobber like MCbob can do)
This is going just to dvd so I'm going to keep it interlaced as it is. I would bob it first if some type of denoising/sharpening might yield a nicer result since I know most desnoisers can't be run on interlaced material. So far, from what I've tried (which isn't much) I haven't found a filter combo to improve the quality yet.
Old 29th April 2008, 20:28   #7  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

Well, what I suggested before (dfttest for denoise + rm_logo to remove those annoying logos) is enough imo to improve your source. If you can't see the visual difference, it'll at least improve the compressibility of your source. For the bottom, I'd suggest that you crop it (unless it's important for you) and use Addborders. Yes, it will be lost anyways in the overscan, but it'll make your source more compressible, again.
Old 29th April 2008, 21:38   #8  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

Quote:
Well, what I suggested before (dfttest for denoise + rm_logo to remove those annoying logos) is enough imo to improve your source. If you can't see the visual difference, it'll at least improve the compressibility of your source. For the bottom, I'd suggest that you crop it (unless it's important for you) and use Addborders. Yes, it will be lost anyways in the overscan, but it'll make your source more compressible, again.
Got any recommended settings for this dfftest? I'll search it after this post. As for compressibility, the entire video, which is an hour and 25 minutes, is already only 2.10gb in size so we won't have to worry about compressibility with this one.
Old 29th April 2008, 22:58   #9  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

Is "dfftest" that "very slow FFT Denoiser"? 'Cuz that's all that search brings up.
Old 30th April 2008, 00:12   #10  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

Yeah, it's slow, but it's good.

You can download it here. Make sure to put libfftw3f-3.dll in your system32 folder.

For SD sources like yours, I usually use
Code:
dfttest(sigma=x,smode=0,sbsize=5,tbsize=5)
Where x is a value that needs ajustment on every source.

But if you don't care about compressibility, don't want to remove the logos and if the video looks good to your eyes, I'd encode it straight to DVD without processing.
Old 30th April 2008, 01:31   #11  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Quote:
That's true, but you absolutely will notice the difference in motion.

Interlaced video lets you cram 60 pictures per second into 30fps, which is fantastic for sports and other "lively" things. If you throw away half that temporal resolution you will most likely notice it!

Of course, if you're talking a flatpanel TV that just throws away half the fields... then yes you won't notice a difference and in fact the MCBobbed version will look a _lot_ better.

I try to backup my interlaced stuff to full rate progressive - that way I can spend all the billions of CPU cycles to MCBob it, then filter as necessary, and encode to 480p60 - keeping the full temporal resolution. Win.

~Misfit
Old 30th April 2008, 08:04   #12  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

Will that dfftest filter help combat this? I'm noticing it at certain spots during the video... appears to be artifacts from compression in the source?

And is it just my eyes or do the colors seem a bit off? The faces on the two hosts look a bit too orange'ish.

Last edited by EpheMeroN; 30th April 2008 at 08:09.
Old 30th April 2008, 08:11   #13  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

Check this thread (especially post #7) vinverse + deblock_qed will help you.

Also read the part where you can filter only a part of the video if the problem is not present throughout your clip.
Old 30th April 2008, 08:15   #14  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

For the colors, play a bit with tweak and coloryuv. The "color correction" section of this website will help you.
Old 30th April 2008, 12:29   #15  |  Link
2Bdecided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Of course, if you're talking a flatpanel TV that just throws away half the fields... then yes you won't notice a difference and in fact the MCBobbed version will look a _lot_ better.
I haven't seen many flat panel TVs that are so stupid - the vast majority bob deinterlace to 60p.

If such "field dropping" TVs exist, then the mcbobbed version will either look identical to, or worse than, the original. Why? Because the TV is throwing half the fields away! It's either keeping the fields from mcbob that match those exactly from the original, or it's keeping the "created" fields from mcbob that don't. As it is not using both, it cannot benefit from mcbob.

Of course mcbob deinterlacing looks better on a PC than most on-the-fly deinterlacing - but dropping 60i to 30p to put it on a DVD for watching on a TV is an abomination - unless you like that fake film stuttery motion look – I don't, and I think it would look terrible on the posted clip.

Cheers,
David.
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 14:28   #16  |  Link
talen9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpheMeroN View Post
And a couple stills (ImageShack doesn't support PNG anymore):
That's definitely not true: i tried to upload a PNG image right now and it work. Maybe the image you tried to upload was simply too big ( >= 1.53 MBytes which is the current limit).

Sorry about the OT.
talen9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 21:50   #17  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by talen9 View Post
That's definitely not true: i tried to upload a PNG image right now and it work. Maybe the image you tried to upload was simply too big ( >= 1.53 MBytes which is the current limit).

Sorry about the OT.
Yes you were right! My original images were just over the size limit.
Old 2nd May 2008, 21:51   #18  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

Tweaking Deblocking

Is there a way to setup deblocking so it ONLY deblocks when blocks actually appear? I've used deblockers in the past when only probably 4-5% of the actual video had blocking present, and in return the parts with no blocking get overly smoothed or flattened.