Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD Rebuilder

Old 15th March 2008, 00:32   #1  |  Link
Socio

Why would I not be able to increase bitrates?

Just curious;

I am backing up a DVD-5 to DVD-9 media and since I have a lot more room on the DVD-9 I thought I would increase the bitrate to maximise quality.

I set DVD Rebuilder Pro to Dual Layer target size (DVD-9) and set the in encoder to min 4000 avg 8000 max 9000 and did a test a run to see what would happen and the movie retained it's 2000-6000 bitrate.

Next I tried RB-OPT to manually force higher bitrate, I could change them but they would not save.

What might I be doing wrong?

Or am I just spinning my wheels with increasing bitrates for higher quality?

Thanks for any help.
Socio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 02:04   #2  |  Link
JohnGalt

I'm not sure why you aren't able to increase the bitrate, but I can tell you that increasing the bitrate wouldn't be of any use to you, anyway. Your source quality wouldn't improve. The exception to this is, of course, if you're talking about modifying the source in some way. If, for some reason, you decided to add noise to the source, then you would want to encode at a higher bitrate to help account for the increased complexity of the image.
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 02:13   #3  |  Link
jdobbs

You can't improve on the original quality -- which is based upon the original bitrate. DVD-RB will not increase bitrates beyond that. First, it is a waste of space, and second it will cause problems with remuxing the audio.

It can be overridden (see hidden settings), but I highly recommend against it and cannot support bug reports related to what might happen.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th March 2008 at 02:18.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 02:30   #4  |  Link
Socio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
I'm not sure why you aren't able to increase the bitrate, but I can tell you that increasing the bitrate wouldn't be of any use to you, anyway. Your source quality wouldn't improve. The exception to this is, of course, if you're talking about modifying the source in some way. If, for some reason, you decided to add noise to the source, then you would want to encode at a higher bitrate to help account for the increased complexity of the image.
I am doing the opposite removing noise and sharpening the image a bit with Avisynth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
You can't improve on the original quality -- which is based upon the original bitrate. DVD-RB will not increase bitrates beyond that. First, it is a waste of space, and second it will cause problems with remuxing the audio.

It can be overridden (see hidden settings), but I highly recommend against it and cannot support bug reports related to what might happen.

Ok I wil just leave it alone, thanks.

Last edited by Socio; 15th March 2008 at 03:22.
Socio is offline   Reply With Quote