Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Closed Thread

Old 3rd February 2008, 04:43   #1  |  Link
bmnot

Convert avi to dvd or to divx? for good quality

I was looking through the guides because I wanted to convert some avi files to be burnt to dvd. But then i read:

Quote:
Unless you're capturing you'll have AVIs that exhibit a considerable quality loss. While DivX and XviD look pretty good on the PC screen, even using a TV-out to watch them on your TV isn't so great either (hence standalone player capable of playing DivX, or DivX player for consoles or even connecting a notebook to the PC input of a projector is a much smarter way to handle this). Most people watch DivX with a post-processing filter activated. This filter does a lot to make the movie look better by applying smart deblocking techniques.
Now im wondering if I should do it a different way. Im not exactly sure what is meant by the whole divx thing. The video files are 720x1280 in resolution. Will there be a large decrease in quality if i do avi to dvd?

If you think I should do the divx method, could you tell me some more about it? Maybe link a guide?

thank

Last edited by Guest; 3rd February 2008 at 04:47. Reason: rule 12
Old 3rd February 2008, 05:44   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!
Quote:
Unless you're capturing you'll have AVIs that exhibit a considerable quality loss.
1) Did you capture the videos?

2) Would you please be good enough to load one of the .AVIs into GSpot and post a screen capture back here?
Old 3rd February 2008, 05:56   #3  |  Link
bmnot

hi thanks for your reply

im not sure what you mean by capture?

and here gspot
Old 3rd February 2008, 06:17   #4  |  Link

Where did you get the AVI?

If you encoded it yourself, then you should re-encode from the original source material.
Old 3rd February 2008, 06:20   #5  |  Link
bmnot

whats wrong with it
Old 3rd February 2008, 07:36   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
im not sure what you mean by capture?
If you had captured the video, you would know what it means. That, I guess, would explain the carefully obliterated filenames in the GSpot screengrab...

BTW - It's probably a good idea to answer a question that's posed to you by a moderator (neuron2")...
Old 3rd February 2008, 07:53   #7  |  Link
bmnot

i was just asking a question and being careful to folow the rules
i dont see what the problem is but whatever
Old 3rd February 2008, 22:01   #8  |  Link
Ranguvar

The problem is that as per Rule 6, there is to be no discussion of illegally obtained material. And when you obliterate the filenames in screenshots and don't know what certain terms mean, you seem indeed like you've illegally obtained the file.
Old 3rd February 2008, 22:09   #9  |  Link
bmnot

So far you're the only one discussing illegaly obtained files. I don't know where you got that idea from.

Im sorry i blurred out the filenames in my screenshot, i didn't mean to offend anyone
Old 4th February 2008, 04:16   #10  |  Link
Ranguvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnot View Post
So far you're the only one discussing illegaly obtained files. I don't know where you got that idea from.

Im sorry i blurred out the filenames in my screenshot, i didn't mean to offend anyone
Not really... neuron2 said you could just re-encode. I've seen him ask that before... usually right before the thread gets locked. Because then the person says they just downloaded it.

And Setarip plain out said you obviously hadn't captured it... meaning you downloaded it.
Old 4th February 2008, 05:08   #11  |  Link

OP's has declined the opportunity to clarify. Therefore, thread closed.
Closed Thread