Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 8th March 2008, 23:10   #301  |  Link
ChrisW77

Didée, Thankyou. Great explanation.

You see, I'm always still learning, and I get frustrated when I can't see a solution that you see straight away. All I need is a brief explanation, and a possible script demo, and I learn from that.

Once again, thankyou.
ChrisW77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 20:27   #302  |  Link
Lorax2161

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-force View Post
TemporalDegrain looks really nice, but my PC is way to slow to run this thing practically. So I used Didee's limiting approach and wrote something that required less MV operations with very good results IMHO. Let me know what you think!

-G
What speed improvements did you find with your version, and what processor type are you using?

TemporalDegrain is awesome, but I have to check the TV guide before I invoke it to see if there is anything else I wanted to capture in the next day or so before I begin encoding.
Lorax2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 17:51   #303  |  Link
g-force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorax2161 View Post
What speed improvements did you find with your version, and what processor type are you using?
I'm not sure right off hand all of the specs on the processor. It's an AMD from a few years ago. I'll take a look when I get home from work.

What I do know is that when I would call TemporalDegrain, it would take about 30sec to generate a frame, whereas mine took maybe a few seconds. In retrospect, I've found it to blur fast motion stuff a bit too much for what I intended to use it for, but I'm still trying to run with the idea of using the median aspects of Clense with mo-comp'd frames.

-G
Old 21st April 2008, 23:55   #304  |  Link
Nikos

I think that there is a mistake in Didée's post #33.
Code:
o = last
f = o.MinBlur(1,2).MinBlur(2,2).RemoveGrain(11,-1)
f.FluxSmoothT(7).mt_AddDiff(mt_MakeDiff(o,f,U=1,V=1),U=4,V=4) 
# eventually, limit the maximum pixel change to +/- 2 :
mt_LutXY(last,o,"x 2 + y < x 2 + x 2 - y > x 2 - x ? ?",U=2,V=2)
For example, if pixel value o = 100 and pixel value last = 93 then the output pixel value = 95.
That is pixel change = 5

In my opinion the right syntax is:
Code:
o = last
f.FluxSmoothT(7).mt_AddDiff(mt_MakeDiff(o,f,U=1,V=1),U=4,V=4) 

mt_LutXY(o,last,"x 2 + y < x 2 + x 2 - y > x 2 - y ? ?",U=2,V=2)
But, may be i am wrong
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:06   #305  |  Link
Didée

@Nikos: Exactly like you said, that LUT expression was wrong. Well spotted, thanks for noting!

Also, there's something strange with
>> mt_AddDiff(mt_MakeDiff(o,f,U=1,V=1),U=4,V=4)

UV=4 means copy chroma from 2nd clip argument. The 2nd clip argument is mt_MakeDiff(o,f,U=1,V=1), which has chroma in an undefined state.
Funny that this seems to output correct chroma nonetheless ...

LUT and chroma issues are in the script of post#33 are fixed now.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:13   #306  |  Link
Nikos

Thanks Didée for the correction and for all your work.
From my tests on a very problematic HD movie the results from the script was great. The dirty dancing effect reduced with almost no smoothing.
I had tried many other filters without success.

Now the usual questions

1. In masktools Round(1.5)=2 or 1.

2. Why in mt_makediff with identical clips, the difference is 128 and not 0 like maths. In general i don't understand well the meaning of 128

3. It's a good idea to use the motion compensate ML3DexGPU for prefiltering in my MC-denoise scripts?

I tried your script with the ML3DexGPU and the result happens to be sufficient and pleasant. This prefilter combo is able to cut down the dirty dancing noise almost completely with minimal blurriness.

Thanks again!!!
Old 23rd April 2008, 12:14   #307  |  Link
Didée

1. It should follow the usual convention for rounding, .5 is rounded upwards. (It appears to be so ... but don't nail me on that it does so in each possible case. I'm not the coder of MaskTools.)

2. A pixel can't have a negative value, only 0-255. In order to handle "negative" differences, the range -127..0..127 is offsetted to 0..128..255.

3. You tell, I don't know. The exact operation of ML3Dex isn't fully clear to me (have been a bit lazy when looking through that pdf) ... however in practice, it doesn't impress me too much. The temporal artefacts in motion areas (resp. areas with erroneous motion compensation) are pretty much the same as those of plain temporal median, so there's no benefit in that respect. In areas without motion (resp. in areas with correct motion compensation), it does remove a bit more signal spikes, no matter whether it's noise or detail.
Thus, for me ML3Dex isn't a interesting option. And ML3DexGPU isn't because I don't have GPU acceleration.

If it works sufficient for you, then you answered your own question.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Old 23rd April 2008, 15:09   #308  |  Link
Nikos

Quote:
2. A pixel can't have a negative value, only 0-255. In order to handle "negative" differences, the range -127..0..127 is offsetted to 0..128..255
If pixels differences are above +/- 127 (very rare case), then what's happen?
I suppose that clip them to +/- 127.

Thanks again!!!
Old 30th April 2008, 07:21   #309  |  Link
yup

Hi folks!
Simple idea. I very frequently use MVDegrain3 for denoising VHS cassette capture. I use big thSAD 800 for luma and 1200 for chroma for many parts video this work very good, but for frame with big scan I see ghosting, may be will be useful use mask with motion estimation (vector length). Separate all frame to three types slow motion, medium motion and fast motion (depending from value motion vector) and use three MVDegrain3 and after use mask.
yup.
yup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 07:46   #310  |  Link
Snake91

Hi to all, I'm encoding Matrix Revolutions from my HDDVD and i wanted to clean the flickering on the background (minimizing detail loss) that's sometimes there fro compressibility purpose. I've checked the first pages of the thread and tried this script from Didée. The script doesn't give me any error nor when I load it nor when I'm encoding but the results are very strange with some frames getting more accelerated than the others.
Samples
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J6ISVCM3 - Encoded
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VAOBD7FL - Source

Watch the logo, this effect is repeated across all the movie making it unwatchable. If I use only dss and crop the video is perfect, how can I solve???

Last edited by Snake91; 11th October 2009 at 07:49.
Snake91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 15:00   #311  |  Link
Didée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake91 View Post
If I use only dss and crop the video is perfect, how can I solve???
(Frankly, I did not look at your files.)

Do not use DSS.

DSS is not frame accurate on seeking. With a script that's so ressource hungry as the one you're referring to, it is very likely that frames will be requested out-of-(linear)-order, and that's where DSS may and will cause problems.

Also, I don't know the HD version of that movie, only the SD one ... and that one is not extraordinarily noisy. I'd suspect that you don't need such a complex denoising strategy for this movie, and that a simple MDegrain2|3 should be sufficient.

(In particular, it's the act of MDegraining an already-MDegrain'ed clip that is eating ressources for breakfast. Such should not be done when poking in the blue, but only on well-aimed intention.)

Old 11th October 2009, 19:30   #312  |  Link
Snake91

Quote:
Do not use DSS.

DSS is not frame accurate on seeking. With a script that's so ressource hungry as the one you're referring to, it is very likely that frames will be requested out-of-(linear)-order, and that's where DSS may and will cause problems.
I've tried DSS2 (which has frame-accuracy) and it worked
Thanks a lot!!!
Quote:
Also, I don't know the HD version of that movie, only the SD one ... and that one is not extraordinarily noisy. I'd suspect that you don't need such a complex denoising strategy for this movie, and that a simple MDegrain2|3 should be sufficient.

(In particular, it's the act of MDegraining an already-MDegrain'ed clip that is eating ressources for breakfast. Such should not be done when poking in the blue, but only on well-aimed intention.)
Thanks for the suggestion, I will compare both and pick the best
Snake91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 17:45   #313  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
Something to try: the following script will remove the low-frequency flicker, leaving the high-frequencies intact.
Would you accept the trial to write something that is available in avisynth x64 domain?
Old 26th June 2010, 20:38   #314  |  Link
Didée

That script is based on FluxSmooth and MedianBlur. Unfortunately, neither of them has been ported to x64 yet.

It would be possible to construct something similar. MedianBlur can be done via mt_luts(). FluxSmooth could be approximated with a combination of Clense and TemporalSoften. But no, seems that Clense is not included in the current compilation of RemoveGrain_x64. (Not Joshy's compilation. And kassandro's 64bit compilation is said to not work at all)(?) - So it would need to be built by a 3-fold mt_logic() combination.

Workarounds for workarounds for workarounds. The result would probably run 5 to 10 times slower than the 32bit script. That's not really worth the effort.

Much better choice:
- Instead of challenging me to script that, challenge the plugin guys to port FluxSmooth and MedianBlur to 64bit. Possibly also Clense.
- For bonus points, someone write a plain Temporal-Median Filter that is actually usable. (MedianBlurT is not, if radius>2.)

Old 26th June 2010, 22:22   #315  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Didée you are right and I apologise for threatening your patience My disappoint comes from the impossibility to run MCTD in x64. After some frames in MT it just plain crashes.

I have some very difficulties to encode BD (Save private Ryan to tell one) and using higher CRF to fit a DVD9 is not an option as quality would suffer too much.

I am currently trying TemporalDegrain or MC Degrain3, however believe me or not the result are always over 10 GB. MCTD_x64 could be a solution. It's a pity it does not exist =)
Old 13th January 2011, 15:56   #316  |  Link
SilaSurfer

Didée thank you for the script.

Really calms down that "naasty dance effect of grain". I was wondering could that script be modified to have stronger effect? In some of my Dvd sources it doesn't calm down grain fully, and Mdegrain after isn't really effective and produces smearing in those areas where that dancing effect is stronger mostly in the CGI elements of some movies that I tried on. Thanks

Last edited by SilaSurfer; 13th January 2011 at 16:01.
SilaSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 16:36   #317  |  Link
Didée

This thread has 16 pages, 300+ posts, and quite a few scrpts have been posted. Which script exactly are you speaking of?

If it's the initial denoising script I had posted - meanwhile converted to "TemporalDegrain" by Sagekilla - that one is basically performing source.MDegrain3().MDegrain3() ...

... so yes, you are right: using MDegrain after that isn't really effective. Why should it, after all.

But maybe we're talking past each other. Please specify.

Old 14th January 2011, 08:13   #318  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
This thread has 16 pages, 300+ posts, and quite a few scrpts have been posted. Which script exactly are you speaking of?
The one you will write for us using the *very fast* NLMeansCL filter
Old 14th January 2011, 13:30   #319  |  Link
SilaSurfer

Quote:
This thread has 16 pages, 300+ posts, and quite a few scrpts have been posted.
Yes I know, took me some time to read it and a lot of coffee.

Quote:
If it's the initial denoising script I had posted - meanwhile converted to "TemporalDegrain" by Sagekilla
Thats one of the best scripts in my opinion using Mdegrain denoising with a prefilter analysis clip. Used copy/paste on it straight to my hard drive so I can modify it for my own usage. But nope not this one.

Quote:
... so yes, you are right: using MDegrain after that isn't really effective. Why should it, after all.
Why would I do that? Using Mdegrain1/2/3 on top already two instances of Mdegrain3. I was referring to how LF errors aka dancing effect can disturb ME engine using Mdegrain if it is not removed before so not only that efficiency od denoising is reduced but also smearing becomes present in those areas where that effect is present.

Quote:
Which script exactly are you speaking of?
This one

o = last
f.FluxSmoothT(7).mt_AddDiff(mt_MakeDiff(o,f,U=2,V=2),U=4,V=4)

# mt_LutXY(o,last,"x 2 + y < x 2 + x 2 - y > x 2 - y ? ?",U=2,V=2)

# to compare:
stackvertical(o,last)
#interleave(o,last)

return(last)

To modify it to have more stronger effect or am I mixing apples with oranges?
Thank you
SilaSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 14:08   #320  |  Link
Didée

The Question is - what are the apples, and what are the oranges?

In which way should it be stronger? Is it that FluxSmooth isn't strong enough (is there still residual flicker of low spatial frequencies)? Or is it that too much grain is in the output? If it's the latter - the whole purpose of this script is to not touch grain at all, and to calm down only the low spatial frequencies.