Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 22nd September 2007, 04:59   #1  |  Link
miamicanes

Program to analyze video & discern whether it's telecined?

Is there any program that can be used to analyze a captured 29.97fps video for 5-30 minutes and tell you how confident it is that the video it just analyzed might or might not REALLY be telecined 24fps film source?

The reason I'm asking is because I have an old video that I captured a few days ago that I just can't make look right. In fact, I can't even watch it for more than a few minutes without getting a queasy feeling. I suspect it's because the captured video's temporal cadence is all screwed up (it's a vidcap of a second- or third-generation vcr-to-vcr copy made ~10-15 years ago), and visibly lurches when playing. I think there's about a 10% chance it might have originally been from film, in which case I could probably clean it up to 24fps progressive, then re-telecine it at a stable 59.94 fields/second. But it takes so incredibly long to re-encode it (~6fps on my fast PC due to all the avisynth filters I have running on it), I want to at least have a clue whether or not it's likely to succeed before I tie up my computer for another 6-10 hours making yet another try at re-encoding it.
miamicanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 05:16   #2  |  Link

Separate the fields and inspect it by eye, looking for the signature of 3:2 pulldown. That is the only reliable method.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 20:55   #3  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

Hello in Miami,

This very forum, try a program called AVSP which can give you a preview of your avisynth script.
Surf is offline   Reply With Quote