Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 6th January 2002, 15:44   #1  |  Link
duronator

Avisynth/mpeg2dec slows down Tmpgenc?

I read this article: http://www.doom9.org/mpg/d2a-mpeg2dec.htm and decided to do a little test using Tmpgenc. I tried 3 things:

1. I have an DVD2AVI project file (.d2v) and loaded this directly into Tmpgenc to encode a short clip with the VCD-template.

2. I used VFAPI to make a frameserving AVI-file from the d2v-file and loaded this into Tmpgenc to encode a short clip with the VCD-template.

3. I made a simple avs-file with the following lines:
LoadPlugin("c:\temp\MPEG2DEC.DLL")
mpeg2source("movie.d2v")
and loaded this into Tmpgenc to encode a short clip with the VCD-template.

The first 2 methods were about equally fast. They were both about twice as fast as the avs-method.

My test results seem to disagree with the article above (which states that using Avisynth will increase speed because no YUV2 --> RGB conversion is necessary).

Q1. Why is that?
Q2. Does it make any sense to use an avs-file to encode with Tmpgenc (apart from using specific resize and other filters)?
duronator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2002, 18:41   #2  |  Link
gldblade
XviD Junkie

In DVD2AVI, did you make sure color space was set to YUV? Because this is where all the speed is coming from (since this eliminates the conversion).
gldblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2002, 22:09   #3  |  Link
duronator

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by gldblade
In DVD2AVI, did you make sure color space was set to YUV?
Yes, the color space is set to YUV 4:2:2. The YUV-->RGB setting is set to PC scale. Don't know exactly what this means but I'm guessing it doesn't matter because this isn't applied because of the first setting.
duronator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2002, 02:29   #4  |  Link
kdiddy

Try resizing it before you put it into TMPG..when I used to use TMPG, I noticed that if I let it resize using the avisyth plugin..it was slow, when I added the "BilinearResize(X,X)" into my avisynth file...it got significantly faster.
kdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote