Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 31st August 2007, 01:01   #1  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

AutoGK Turn Quality up,

in fairuse wizard, one can turn the slider up to max, which of course tells the Xvid Codec to use 100% (i assume this tells the codec to use as much time as needed on each frame)

and after comparing the quality of fairuse wizard to AutoGK, i have to say, FW does have the adge,

but only because of this ability, but FW does have a annoying problem, where the DVD has to be ripped to ISO, and this is such a pain,

my question is,

is there any way of telling AutoGK to use a higher setting in quality for the codec,.... i know AutoGK uses a quality setting dictated by some test AutoGK does on the material, but i would like to overide this, and somehow tell AutoGK to use MAX qualitty Settings, as time for me is not a factor, as my hardware is very powerful, and at max, the encode would still only take 1 hour.

i appreciate any help, as i always did love AutoGK, but i just found that Fairuse wizard had a better quality,

thanks again.
Pulp Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 03:01   #2  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

you better drop autogk and use some other software then.
autogk (as the name says) was made to do it automatically.
however there may be some agk tweaking utilities that could do it, but im not an autogk expert. lets see if anyone comes with an appropriate answer.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 12:26   #3  |  Link
manono

Use 1-pass Target Quality set for 100% and then come back and tell us the FairUse output is better.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2007, 16:35   #4  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

that defeats the object though doesn't it,

i'm after a target size, one could also say the same about FUW,

what your suggesting is set the codec to MAX potential, well that would be the same with any program then,

what i'm after is making the codec work, but work to it's best efficiency.

I.E. 75% (1.4gb target size) but get the codec to work as best as possible on each frame, with out any consideration of time,

AutoGK computes the time/Quality and works out the best quality setting based on time needed,

with FUW, i can tell FUW to set the codec to max quality mode even though only say a extra 15% quality can be achieved and this will add a lot of time to the 2nd pass, but with my hardware, the extra 12minutes of time is worth it,

but don't get me wrong, AutoGK still has many great features, accept this one ability, and looking at the temp files created by AutoGK i can see that mode 3 is set by AutoGK, but FUW sets mode 5 (highest setting possible to my knowledge)

i wasn't trying to compete against one program to another, i was just after some advice, not sure why you had to turn this into what is better debate, with all due respect, i'm a little to old to be playing this program is better then your program game,

just wanted to know wheather it was possible to some how tell AutoGK to tell the codec to use MAX mode (5) and not 3.
and disregard the extra time needed.
Pulp Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2007, 18:29   #5  |  Link
Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Catalyst View Post
just wanted to know wheather it was possible to some how tell AutoGK to tell the codec to use MAX mode (5) and not 3.
and disregard the extra time needed.
Please explain where you got this numbers from?
Did you rely on the VHQ settings in the Xvid control panel?
Yes, you can set it from 0=off to 4=Wide Search.
But AutoGk, as far as I remember, always uses 1=Mode Decision.
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2007, 20:30   #6  |  Link
manono

That was my point as well. I haven't used FairUse for at least 5 years and had no idea what you meant when you said:
Quote:
in fairuse wizard, one can turn the slider up to max, which of course tells the Xvid Codec to use 100% (i assume this tells the codec to use as much time as needed on each frame)
I'm not convinced you knew what you meant, either. You're initial post made it seem to me as if it was possible to maximize the quality in FairUse without regard to file size, something available in AutoGK in 1-pass Target Quality Mode.

But if you prefer FU, go ahead and use it. I have no axe to grind. And I expect I'm older than you.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote