Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 7th June 2007, 03:22   #1  |  Link
Pitou

HD-DVD to DVD-9, working method (at least for me!) playable in Toshiba HD-A1 Tutorial

Hello,

After many weeks of trial and error, I've finally come up with a working recipe to re-encode HD-DVD to DVD-9. I only tested using VC1 video encoded movie, if you get a movie already in Mpeg4 AVC, it should be almost the same procedure. This guide is little dirty, I apologize.

Here are the steps I used:

1- Decrypt your movie using your favorite tool. (I'm using the Xbox HD-DVD drive connected to my PC and installed the UDF 2.5 drivers). No link for those, sorry.

2- You will need the following softwares: Haali media splitter, ffdshow tryouts, graphedit, avisynth 2.5, x264 HRD v616c, h264info 0007, evodemux, IMGburn, Scenarist 4.11 ACA (No link)

http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/GraphEdit
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=57023 (for avisynth 2.5)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/batchccews/ (for h264info and x264 HRD, click on batchccews then h264info)
http://pel.hu/down/EVOdemux.exe
http://imgburn.com/

3- Using graphedit, create a graph (or 2) like this and save it as movie1.grf:

Code:
movie1.evo (Haali media splitter) --> ffdshow video decoder
(Note: to decode VC1, select libavcodec for WVC1 in ffdshow video decoder configuration)
(Note: You can also use the WMv9 Advanced Profile Decoder from the latest media player filter or here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=112634)

4- Create a avisynth script like this one and save it as movie.avs:

Code:
DirectShowSource("C:\HDDVD\movie1.grf",fps=23.98,framecount=xxxxx,audio=false)+DirectShowSource("C:\HDDVD\movie2.grf",fps=23.98,framecount=xxxxx,audio=false)
You can merge 2 graph, if you have many .EVO

Yes, I'm using fps=23.98 even if the movie is in fact 23.976

The framecount number is the number reported by EVOdemux calculated frames.

5- If necessary re-encode your movie to H264 Mpeg4 AVC, using x264:

Code:
x264.exe --keyint 14 --min-keyint 1 --vbv-maxrate 20000 --vbv-init 1.0 --vbv-bufsize 14745 --mvrange 511 --level 4.1 --nal-hrd --bframe 2 --bime --weightb --ref 1 --mixed-refs --direct auto --deblock -1:-1 --bitrate 6000 --pass 1 --stats "x264_stat.log" --qcomp 0.75 --ipratio 1.10 --pbratio 1.10 --partitions "all" --8x8dct --me "hex" --subme 5 --aud --sar 1:1 --deadzone-intra 6 --deadzone-inter 6 --progress -o movie.264 movie.avs

x264.exe --keyint 14 --min-keyint 1 --vbv-maxrate 20000 --vbv-init 1.0 --vbv-bufsize 14745 --mvrange 511 --level 4.1 --nal-hrd --bframe 2 --b-rdo --bime --weightb --ref 3 --mixed-refs --direct auto --deblock -1:-1 --bitrate 6000 --pass 3 --stats "x264_stat.log" --qcomp 0.75 --ipratio 1.10 --pbratio 1.10 --partitions "all" --8x8dct --me "hex" --subme 6 --no-fast-pskip --no-dct-decimate --trellis 1 --aud --sar 1:1 --deadzone-intra 6 --deadzone-inter 6 --progress -o movie.264 movie.avs

x264.exe --keyint 14 --min-keyint 1 --vbv-maxrate 20000 --vbv-init 1.0 --vbv-bufsize 14745 --mvrange 511 --level 4.1 --nal-hrd --bframe 2 --b-rdo --bime --weightb --ref 3 --mixed-refs --direct auto --deblock -1:-1 --bitrate 6000 --pass 3 --stats "x264_stat.log" --qcomp 0.75 --ipratio 1.10 --pbratio 1.10 --partitions "all" --8x8dct --me "umh" --subme 7 --no-fast-pskip --no-dct-decimate --trellis 2 --aud --sar 1:1 --deadzone-intra 6 --deadzone-inter 6 --progress -o movie.264 movie.avs
This is a 3 pass encoding that will take a very long time, you can use 1 or 2 pass if needed.
Of course, adjust the bitrate to suit your needs.

I used this formula to manually calculate the bitrate., here http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm. Again use the formula described in the explanation. For a MLP TrueHD track (or any audio) track, simply use the filesize you get with demuxed track to substract from the Size. For DVD-9, I use 8346664 as the size. Don't forget to multiply by 8 the result (V*8), to obtain the final bitrate.

For the maximum bitrate, the maximum is 29000. Don't forget to adjust according to you audio tracks.

The other alternative is to put your movie on 2 x DVD-9. If both .EVO are under 8.5 gig, using your favorite audio tracks, just drop all files in Scenarist and remux them. In this case, no encoding is needed, just use the VC1 video file and the audio files

Or re-encode both .EVO to fit 2 x DVD-9, this will preserve PQ.

Anyway, you get the idea...

6- Usig h264info, import your movie.264 and tick 3:2 pulldown and click start. This will add the pulldown flags for 23.976 --> 29.97

7- Use Scenarist ACA 4.11 to add your video file and audio files and build your project. This will give you 2 dir: ADV_OBJ and HVDVD_TS. For DD+ track, use .ec3 as the extension and .mlp for TrueHD, if Scenarist complains.

8- Burn the 2 dir. using IMGburn's build option. Just add the 2 dir and choose UDF only as the filesystem. IMGburn will use UDF 1.02 which is fine and supports large file (larger than 4 gigs)

Try your new disk in your Toshiba HD-A1. (Note: I had firmware 2.2 and got choppy video playback from time to time, reverting to 2.0, Movie plays smoothly)

Credits go to Trahald for his h264info and x264 HRD programs, Sagittaire for the x264 CLI parameters and ACrowley for the hint about evodemux and calculated frames. Thanks guys!

Feel free to comments and add new infos.

If anyone wants to put this tutorial into a real, well formatted document, feel free to do it. Take all info needed

Pitou!

Last edited by Pitou; 7th June 2007 at 12:06.
Pitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 13:29   #2  |  Link
Icemaan

Hallo Pitou

Thanks for your fantastic Tutorial.I will try it out.But there ar some Ouestions.
When i demux with EvoDemux and then rebuild to one big Evo with my audio Track this will work even what you think.

Icemaan
Icemaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 14:36   #3  |  Link
Pitou

Yes it will work. Just use only 1 directshow in your avs script and adjust the framecount accordingly.

Pitou!
Old 7th June 2007, 15:12   #4  |  Link
Icemaan

Thanks for Answer. I have Test it with a small File created with EvoSplit works Fine.I have make it without reencode.I always have a Bluray File can i put this into Sca and create one Hd-dvd (without reencode) because i only have a hd-dvd Standalone not BluRay

Icemaan
Icemaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 18:06   #5  |  Link
Pitou

Yes you can, since your video is probably an element stream using the VC1 or Mpeg4 AVC codec.

Be careful for what you're asking and doing, you may break the forum rules

Pitou!

Last edited by Pitou; 7th June 2007 at 19:01.
Old 7th June 2007, 21:26   #6  |  Link
PurpleMan

Good work writing the guide, I can confirm it works because I already did the same about a month ago.

Since then I'm working on a way to 'reinejct' the authored EVO's that Scenarist ACA produced back into the original disc and by thus preserving all the menus and extras (which can obviously be reencoded as well).

Still haven't managed doing that tho, mainly because I don't know how to edit the VTI file that's included on the original disc to match the new EVO's.

Got any idea?

-PurpleMan
PurpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 08:48   #7  |  Link
drelin

Thanks for this guide.

Just few questions :

1- How calculate the value for vfv buffersize (according with the average bitrate and the max bitrate wanted) ?

2- For encoding in 720p, the x264 command lines are the sames (or what are the differences) ?

For the next way, if a bluid of x264 with HDR and AQ pacth is avialable, we can increase the quality.
drelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 12:11   #8  |  Link
Dethis

@Drelin,
vbv buffersize is not calculated. In is defined by the HD-DVD specs.

@Pitou,
Thanks for the guide.

Have you made any attempt to check if a larger buffersize is HDDVD compliant (for AVC encodings). I remember a discussion where Sergey Sablin said that while the 14745 buffersize is the limit for VC-1 encodings, for AVC engodings a buffersize of 30000 is HDDVD compliant.
Dethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 12:49   #9  |  Link
drelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethis View Post
@Drelin,
vbv buffersize is not calculated. In is defined by the HD-DVD specs.

@Pitou,
Thanks for the guide.

Have you made any attempt to check if a larger buffersize is HDDVD compliant (for AVC encodings). I remember a discussion where Sergey Sablin said that while the 14745 buffersize is the limit for VC-1 encodings, for AVC engodings a buffersize of 30000 is HDDVD compliant.
You mean that the vbv buffersize isn't linked with the bitrate selected ?
Are you sure ?
In Mainconcept h264 Encoder, the vbv buffer size (in the advanced settings) change beetween the average bitrate (or the bitrate in CBR).
Old 8th June 2007, 13:24   #10  |  Link
Pitou

@ Purpleman,

Quote:
Still haven't managed doing that tho, mainly because I don't know how to edit the VTI file that's included on the original disc to match the new EVO's.

Got any idea?
Sorry, no idea for the moment, since I'm concentrating on movie only, preserving the best possible PQ, along with 2 audio tracks.

@ drelin

Quote:
2- For encoding in 720p, the x264 command lines are the sames (or what are the differences) ?
I didn't try that, but would guess so. Give it a shot and report back!

@ dethis

Quote:

No didnT' attempt to change anything. I'm really relying on Sagittaire's parameters, since they work great.

But that would be a good test to do, though. I also remember Sergey's comments. Maybe he could jump in and give his comments.

Sorry guys for not having really good answers for now, it took me weeks to find a working method and didn't have time to push it. My next step is to experiment a little more for sure.

But hey, thanks for your comments, that's how we'll improve things!

Pitou!
Old 8th June 2007, 13:31   #11  |  Link
Dethis

@drelin

Yes

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=114928
Dethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 13:50   #12  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitou View Post
Yes, I'm using fps=23.98 even if the movie is in fact 23.976
Sorry if I missed it, but... why using 23.98???
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 17:28   #13  |  Link
drelin

@ Dethis

Thanks for the link
With the expensive size of the forums, I'd not view this subject.
Old 8th June 2007, 18:42   #14  |  Link
Pitou

@ laserfan

Quote:
Sorry if I missed it, but... why using 23.98???
Not sure if it makes any difference anyway, but I prefer feeding the encoder the way it sees the video.

x264 tells me that the fps is 23.98, so I'm feeding it 23.98

Pitou!
Old 9th June 2007, 04:54   #15  |  Link
Toti

Hi Pitou thanks for the great tutorial. I got to authoring the disc. My authoring created two folders and one xml file.

ADV_OBJ
HVDVD_TS
Layoutinfo.xml

Anyway, I build the project with IMGburn. Then burn it Using the same program. I am using IMGburn 2.3.2.0

However, I have used both DVD+DL from Memorex & Sony. Both play great on the PC and Xbox 360 but they refuse to play on Toshiba A2. It plays single layers fine but not dual layers.

Has anyone burned a +DL and played fine on the A2? If so, what brand did you use and how did you burn it including programs versions.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 9th June 2007, 14:01   #16  |  Link
Pitou

@ Toti

About DVD+DL... Strange, it plays fine on the A1. Don't forget that I had to downgrade to firmware version 2.0, because I had choppy playback.

I tried Fuji and Memorex, but they are both Ritek DVD in fact, according to the media manufacturer code.

I still have to try Verbatim (different mfg code) and firmware version 2.2.

What firmware are you running in your A2?

You can download the latest here, burn the iso and upgrade to the latest. (v1.6).

http://209.167.114.38/support/ceg/downloads/#

Pitou!
Old 9th June 2007, 14:51   #17  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

... and like I say impossible for me (and much other) to have the good duration with Cinevision for scenarist (SCA or ACA). I am really curious to know how Toti make encoding with Cinevision ... lol

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9

Last edited by Sagittaire; 9th June 2007 at 15:49.
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 23:07   #18  |  Link
Susana

I wonder if, as well as dvd layer break has to meet some conditions, hddvd layer break has to do it
Susana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 09:47   #19  |  Link
DarkNite
Almost Silent Member

Are you asking for testing with CineVision? I have CineVision and Scenarist SCA, but I really haven't used them for backup purposes... Just straight up content authoring. Ther's a lot less hoops to jump through when you're dealing with your own source material.

Speaking of Cinevision, the 23.98 mentioned earlier is how CineVision refers to 23.976, it's just a rounding off to keep the numbers int rather than float. Much like WME9. I've found that if you attempt to use IVTC material (23.976) it usually forces you to 59.94 in CineVision, or throws an error, so YMMV. That's just my experience so far. No problems with using naturally 24p material.
Old 11th June 2007, 10:25   #20  |  Link
drelin

I've tested the way for 720p source,
H264info (0.7) not works correctly for make a compliant h264 for Scenarist authoring.
The file is accpeted by Scenarist but the during time is wrong.
The time is divised by 4 to the intial time (pulldown 23.976 to 59.94 is not good).

When I've make sevral tests with x264, I've found a error with x264.exe between the type of source.
If make avs script with a mp4 file (ex: mp4 extracted of apple trailer *.mov), I can launch the encoding process with the BAT command lines.
If make a avs script with a WVM files or MKV files (with h264 video), x264 return a error message : X264[error] rawyuv require a resolution.

Do have any idear of this error ?

The GRF file form graphEdit is the same (with mp4 and mkv)

the avs script is :
DirectShowSource("X:\DVD_2\test.grf",fps=23.976,audio=false)
AddBorders(0,132,0,132)

Last edited by drelin; 11th June 2007 at 10:34.