Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 29th April 2007, 21:17   #1  |  Link
Kuukunen

The quest for true constant quality with x264

There has been lots of threads about these things, and I think I read through the most relevant ones. They still didn't give me the answers I wanted.

However, I feel this topic is important, since I think constant perceived quality is what people usually really want, since there really is no reason to go to higher bitrates if you can achieve acceptable quality on a lower bitrate. (Unless you want to fit exactly one file per CD etc.)

First I will list some bits of information I have gathered and on which I am basing my assumptions and questions. I may have lots of misinformation and wrond ideas, so if I'm wrong about them, I hope someone could fix my flawed facts.

For a long time I was wondering if 2pass is really better than "Constant Quality" of the same bitrate. I mean logically it shouldn't be: it tries to achieve constant perceived quality, but 2pass does exactly the same. Only difference is that 2pass calculates the level of quality that gives the wanted filesize. (Approximately.)

So if 2pass really is better than CFR, it must mean 2pass's definition of "constant quality" is different from CFR's definition.

I really can't understand why 2pass encoding is inherently so much better than one pass. The only reason I've gotten for it is because in 2pass the 1st pass makes a stats file for later use in 2nd pass. On the other hand one pass constant quality can't predict what are the properties of the frames ahead of the frame currently worked on. This gives 2pass only one advantage: If there is a frame ahead that needs more quantizer and that frame is using the current frame as a reference, the current one should be given more too. I don't want to use the expression "more complex frame" since I'm still not quite convinced if complex frames need more quantizier or not.

If there is some other reason, PLEASE tell me. All I've seen is stuff like "2-pass mode is superior given an equal file size..". A few times even something like "I tried both, and 2pass was slightly better." Never the reason. (Other than the one I already mentioned.) I'd REALLY like to know what is this magical quality that makes 2pass encoding "superior".

I'm under impression when the bitrate goes up, CFR comes very close to 2pass. And I guess it wouldn't be too much of a quality loss if I just did CFR, but being the perfectionist I am, I would want to achieve the best possible quality while still maintaining the philosophy of having constant quality for all encodes. (Of one series for example.) The way I see it there are four ways to solve this:

1) 1st pass CRF with stats file. Then somehow try to figure out a good bitrate from that, then do 2nd pass with that bitrate. I still have pretty much no idea how to get a good bitrate estimate from it, so if someone could please tell me, it would be nice, as this seems to be currently the most feasible way.

2) A normal one pass CRF outputting a stats file, then pick the final bitrate of the resulting video file, and do a normal second pass with that bitrate. Now this is the only one I really know how to do with reasonable accuracy, but it seems like a lot of wasted CPU time.

Now we move into the hypothetical methods.

3) 1st pass constant quality mode with stats file. Then 2nd pass constant quality mode. I read that "crf inherently doesn't work in 2pass", but is there a reason for that? When a normal 2nd pass is given a stats file and a bitrate, it somehow magically decides on a quality everything is going to be encoded in. Is it really impossible to give that magical quality factor as an argument to x264?

4) This suggestion makes even more assumptions, mainly assuming I'm right about the fact that makes 2pass encoding better than one pass. Or to be specific I mean there is really no reason to know stuff about the frames that aren't near the one currently under progress. (If there is, please tell me why.) Therefore, would it be completely impossible to calculate stats of the few frames ahead? There might be frames using frames as a reference that are using frames as a reference etc, but I'm not even sure how far this is possible, and even if it is possible to carry on from the first frame to the last frame, it should be taken care of by a reasonable buffer. Now, this isn't too different from the #3, so why go through the difficulties? Well, there are situations where rendering of the video is really expensive, like having crazy filters in Avisynth or maybe some other frameserver. Or you might be encoding real time. So why would it be impossible to render some frames in advance, store them in memory, then calculate stats for those, then encode the current frame (which is many frames before the one rendered last) using the given CMF? (Constant Magic Factor)
Kuukunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 22:26   #2  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuukunen View Post
If there is some other reason, PLEASE tell me. All I've seen is stuff like "2-pass mode is superior given an equal file size..". A few times even something like "I tried both, and 2pass was slightly better." Never the reason. (Other than the one I already mentioned.) I'd REALLY like to know what is this magical quality that makes 2pass encoding "superior".
* Better QP choices if we know the content of future frames. Especially when choosing how much to boost the QP of I-frames. Yes, this could be solved by 1pass lookahead ratecontrol.
* --direct=auto doesn't work very well in 1pass. In particular, 2pass direct=auto can choose the mode of each B-frame based on that frame's own stats, while 1pass direct=auto chooses the mode of each B-frame based on the previous frames' stats. This could be solved by re-encoding the B-frame if its optimal mode differs from the guess. This would be somewhat faster than 2pass, though still many frames would be encoded twice. This also has some issues when combined with pyramid + threads.
* The 2pass "complexity" metric is bits, while the 1pass "complexity" metric is based on SATD. This may or may not be an improvement at all.

The combined effect of the above reasons is somewhere between 0 and 0.1 dB PSNR. So you might be better off just spending the extra cpu-time on slightly slower 1pass settings.

Quote:
3) 1st pass constant quality mode with stats file. Then 2nd pass constant quality mode. I read that "crf inherently doesn't work in 2pass", but is there a reason for that? When a normal 2nd pass is given a stats file and a bitrate, it somehow magically decides on a quality everything is going to be encoded in. Is it really impossible to give that magical quality factor as an argument to x264?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=103348
Though that doesn't mean it can't be done. After all, CRF doesn't inherently have anything to do with QP either, the values of --crf are only similar to the QP they produce because I tuned a formula to translate the value from --crf to the internal rate_factor. So I suppose I could write a similar translation for the 2nd pass, and a given --crf in 1pass would usually be similar bitrate to the same value of --crf in 2pass.
Or I could just store the SATD values used in 1pass CRF in the 2pass file, and use them. Then 2pass CRF would be identical to 1pass CRF except for the points specified above.

Quote:
CMF? (Constant Magic Factor)
It's called "rate factor", hence the name "constant rate factor".
Actually, "called" is a bit strong. It's stored in a variable named "rate_factor", hence the name "constant rate factor".

Last edited by akupenguin; 29th April 2007 at 22:35.
akupenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 03:27   #3  |  Link
Kuukunen

First, thanks for answering, it really cleared some suspicions and gave me hope. Also, congrats on the 1337th post. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by akupenguin View Post
* Better QP choices if we know the content of future frames. Especially when choosing how much to boost the QP of I-frames. Yes, this could be solved by 1pass lookahead ratecontrol.
Sounds reasonable. But how far does 2pass encoding look anyways? As in how many frames would it have to cache?
Quote:
* --direct=auto doesn't work very well in 1pass. In particular, 2pass direct=auto can choose the mode of each B-frame based on that frame's own stats, while 1pass direct=auto chooses the mode of each B-frame based on the previous frames' stats. This could be solved by re-encoding the B-frame if its optimal mode differs from the guess. This would be somewhat faster than 2pass, though still many frames would be encoded twice. This also has some issues when combined with pyramid + threads.
Even if some of them were encoded twice, I would guess it's possible to predict which direct mode would be more probable using the results from the previous decisions. Besides, even in the absolute worst case scenario when the thing is completely random, only half of the frames would be guessed wrong. (Unless I misunderstood the whole thing completely.)
Quote:
* The 2pass "complexity" metric is bits, while the 1pass "complexity" metric is based on SATD. This may or may not be an improvement at all.
So let me get this straight... Simply by implementing a lookahead buffer that stores stats and frames into memory, then implement guessing heuristics for the direct=auto, you get one pass encoding that is in no way worse quality than two pass encoding of the same file size?

However, even though it's the same quality, it's a lot faster... Let's not forget expensive rendering either, I have an Avisynth script I've used that renders at the rate of 3fps. And not only that... It would also help a lot in trying to figure out the best encoding settings...
Quote:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=103348
Though that doesn't mean it can't be done. After all, CRF doesn't inherently have anything to do with QP either, the values of --crf are only similar to the QP they produce because I tuned a formula to translate the value from --crf to the internal rate_factor. So I suppose I could write a similar translation for the 2nd pass, and a given --crf in 1pass would usually be similar bitrate to the same value of --crf in 2pass.
Or I could just store the SATD values used in 1pass CRF in the 2pass file, and use them. Then 2pass CRF would be identical to 1pass CRF except for the points specified above.
The reason I called rate_factor in 2pass encoding "constant magic factor" was because it's apparently different from the CRF rate_factor. Right? The thing I'm really seeking here is how to define the "CMF". I hope what you meant in that quote was something like that... As in it would be a REAL 2nd pass. Meaning it would have all the QP lookahead and already figured out decisions for direct=auto?

As I said... What I was after in this thread was a way to create "true" predefined constant quality. The suggestions/possibilites you gave look very promising indeed, and I guess all I could hope for was that my meditations on this could be proven to be possible/correct. Still... If the suggestion #4 or at least #3 would at any point become part of the actual implementation, it would be the best thing since DCT. I feel that it wouldn't be too hard to implement, since you already have the 2nd pass code ready with all bells and whistles for those things and only things needed are the two things I mentioned.
Old 30th April 2007, 03:42   #4  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuukunen View Post
But how far does 2pass encoding look anyways? As in how many frames would it have to cache?
It's exponentially weighted with a time constant of cplxblur. So a 20 frame lookahead is good enough.

Quote:
So let me get this straight... Simply by implementing a lookahead buffer that stores stats and frames into memory, then implement guessing heuristics for the direct=auto, you get one pass encoding that is in no way worse quality than two pass encoding of the same file size?
Yes. The "2pass is always better" idea stems from previous codecs (xvid, divx, lavc) where it was definitely true. But it's not inherent in all video codecs, and x264 comes pretty close to fixing 1pass.

Quote:
Let's not forget expensive rendering either, I have an Avisynth script I've used that renders at the rate of 3fps.
I'm assuming you don't have enough HDD space for huffyuv?

Quote:
The reason I called rate_factor in 2pass encoding "constant magic factor" was because it's apparently different from the CRF rate_factor. Right?
1pass's rate_factor and 2pass's rate_factor represent exactly the same quantity, they're stored in the same variable, and used in the same code. They just differ in their units. The code that uses rate_factor is insensitive to the units if you enable a target bitrate (ABR or 2pass), but the units do matter for CRF.

Last edited by akupenguin; 30th April 2007 at 16:53.
Old 30th April 2007, 05:58   #5  |  Link
Kuukunen

Quote:
Yes. The "2pass is always better" idea stems from previous codecs (xvid, divx, lavc) where is was definitely true. But it's not inherent in all video codecs, and x264 comes pretty close to fixing 1pass.
Yes, it's very close, but I guess it's still not quite there. Of course the idea isn't new, I ran into this once:
http://www.undercut.org/Nandub_OnePass/
No idea how well it works or anything though, didn't look into it too much.
Quote:
I'm assuming you don't have enough HDD space for huffyuv?
170Mbps for my poor lil laptop... You assume correctly. :P
That was never the point though. Point wasn't really how to fix MY next encode. Point was just that I wondered about how it could possibly be fixed altogether for everyone, as with just the 20 frame buffer thing and one pass encoding, I don't really see a reason for decoding to huffyuv anymore.
Quote:
1pass's rate_factor and 2pass's rate_factor represent exactly the same quantity, they're stored in the same variable, and used in the same code. They just differ in their units. The code that uses rate_factor is insensitive to the units if you enable a target bitrate (ABR or 2pass), but the units do matter for CRF.
Ok. I haven't looked into the code so I don't know how it works internally. The reason I talked about them differently was because they acted differently. (Apparently the only real practical difference was the QP lookahead thingy, though.)

Thank you for answering to all these questions. I really wish I you got at least some ideas based on my ramblings.
Old 30th April 2007, 15:47   #6  |  Link
PuzZLeR
WiLD CaRD

Fascinating topic if I may jump in.

This debate can spurn on forever because it really doesn’t come down to quantitative metrics such as PSNR to conclude a fair comparison between the two, especially when this measurement is almost negligible anyway.

Other than the fact that 1-pass’s advantage is less CPU time and a rather accurate quality forecaster and 2-pass’s advantage will be very predictable file size and (maybe) optimal quality per file size there may not be a definite quality advantage to either, especially with x264.

A believer of 2-pass can conclude that the bits are being allocated to areas of the clip most needed. However, assuming this logic, this gives more margin for 1-pass to delegate more bits to other areas maybe deprived in 2-pass (assuming the same amount of bitrate).

So what would be elements in the decision criteria between these schemes in data distribution?

Akupenguin mentioned the older codecs, DivX, Xvid, etc, having a definite advantage with a second pass. Very true. However, using this methodology as a model, wouldn’t some of the theory apply as well to x264?

Please let me explain.

With these older codecs, what was apparently noticeable was in scenes of higher motion.

One pass was obviously short-sighted, and would allocate bits on a frame-by-frame basis. Every frame, without knowledge of the next, would be given its “due”.

However, with the advantage of foresight, a 2-pass scheme would better allocate data to the higher motion scenes in the video, something a frame-by-frame encoding scheme would not be able to recognize. This would especially make sense when such activity can last for hundreds of frames at a time and 1-pass cannot predict this in advance. Even a 20-frame head start can be a significant advantage for 2-pass in motion scenes.

Qualitatively speaking, given this hypothesis, the result was video that had a higher spread of visual quality among the more stationary frames in 1-pass, maybe even the majority of the frames in total, while 2-pass would have far less blur in the scenes with higher movement.

I do understand that x264 was better designed, and the algorithms implemented ease this variance, however wouldn’t this play a role as well? Forgive me if I’m wrong, I can’t help but think that maybe a 2-pass scheme, even with x264, may have an edge, albeit small, in higher motion scenes.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by PuzZLeR; 5th May 2007 at 18:26.
PuzZLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 16:15   #7  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

Quantitative metrics such as PSNR are sufficient for comparing 1pass to 2pass, because they have exactly the same target bit distribution and differ only in how close they get to that target. PSNR can't compare macroscopically different bit distributions, but those aren't the issue here. I'm not saying x264's 2pass is the optimal distribution, only that you can get the same distribution in 1pass.

The reason xvid, divx, etc have a definite advantage with 2pass is because they have no unrestricted 1pass VBR (aside from CQP, which is suboptimal for other reasons). The difference between 1pass ABR and 2pass is most visible in high motion because ABR doesn't give each frame its due, it limits the bitrate.

1pass doesn't have to be short-sighted. A small lookahead buffer is sufficient to get all the benefit of 2pass bitrate distribution, because the inter-prediction dependencies between frames (and psy motion masking, if your ratecontrol uses that) are limited to a reasonably small radius of effect. Even if you don't believe my estimate of 20 frames for x264, inter prediction is definitely limited to 1 GOP. And psy effects can't possibly last more than a few seconds.

If even a 20-frames head start helps, then that's evidence that you don't need 2pass, because you can get a 20 frame head start in 1pass just be spending a little extra RAM.

Last edited by akupenguin; 30th April 2007 at 16:17.
Old 30th April 2007, 16:35   #8  |  Link
Kuukunen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
This debate can spurn on forever because it really doesn’t come down to quantitative metrics such as PSNR to conclude a fair comparison between the two, especially when this measurement is almost negligible anyway.
That doesn't really matter. Like I've been trying to say here, it's possible to use pretty much the exact same methods of 2pass in 1pass, giving exactly the same quality. (But of course, you can't predict the file size.)

Quote:
A believer of 2-pass can conclude that the bits are being allocated to areas of the clip most needed. However, assuming this logic, this gives more margin for 1-pass to delegate more bits to other areas maybe deprived in 2-pass (assuming the same amount of bitrate).
A believer? Remember, blind faith is baaad. I think it really doesn't go like that. By principle, one pass CRF and a normal 2pass both try to achieve a contant quality. The difference is that in 2pass, the amount of that constant quality is calculated beforehand to the value that would give the wanted filesize, in CRF it's given.

Quote:
So what would be elements in the decision criteria between these schemes in data distribution?
Speaking on a theoretical level (it's not in any implementations yet, although x264 is pretty close) it doesn't matter. You design the best decision criteria you can think of and use it in both 2pass and one pass.

Quote:
Akupenguin mentioned the older codecs, DivX, Xvid, etc, having a definite advantage with a second pass. Very true. However, using this methodology as a model, wouldn’t some of the theory apply as well to x264?
The final bitstream doesn't care at all if it had been encoded in one pass or two pass, or maybe 1.5 pass where the hard parts are re-encoded, anything really. There really is no real reason why the fact older codecs didn't implement proper one pass encoding should apply to newer ones too. Also, did you read the link I gave about Nandub OnePass?

Quote:
With these older codecs, what was apparently noticeable was in scenes of higher motion.

One pass was obviously short-sighted, and would allocate bits on a frame-by-frame basis. Every frame, without knowledge of the next, will be given its “due”.

However, with the advantage of foresight, a 2-pass scheme would better allocate data to the higher motion scenes in the video, something a frame-by-frame encoding scheme would not be able to recognize. This would especially make sense when such activity can last for hundreds of frames at a time and 1-pass cannot predict this in advance. Even a 20-frame head start can be a significant advantage for 2-pass in motion scenes.
akupenguin said: "It's exponentially weighted with a time constant of cplxblur. So a 20 frame lookahead is good enough."
2pass encoding doesn't really look farther than 20 frames. Why should it? How on earth would a frame 100 frames away affect the current one? And even if it does, how does it matter in 1pass vs 2pass if 2pass doesn't care either? It doesn't.

Quote:
I do understand that x264 was better designed, and the algorithms implemented ease this variance, however wouldn’t this play a role as well? Forgive me if I’m wrong, I can’t help but think that maybe a 2-pass scheme, even with x264, may have an edge, albeit small, in higher motion scenes.
Once again... Why should it? It is perfectly possible to make 1pass use the exact same methods 2pass uses.

Last edited by Kuukunen; 30th April 2007 at 16:36. Reason: aku finished before I did, oh well...
Old 30th April 2007, 16:40   #9  |  Link
CruNcher

Yep indeed the concept of 2pass is outdated i do most of my encodes in ABR (especialy high bitrate ones HDTV,since H.264) and the difference between a X264 ABR with more tools compared to a less tools but 2 pass encode is almost non existant and both need the same time, also i never managed it yet to overflow with H.264 (if you call +-5 kb overflow/underflow (wich happens from source to source with XviD and others more often,but then the overflow is most of the time in the Mb area).
Lookahead would be perfect so finaly 2pass could retire once and for all :P

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 30th April 2007 at 16:52.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 16:56   #10  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

x264's ABR does still have some disadvantages. Even if the extra tools you can enable with the time saved make up for the worse bit distribution, a compressibility test followed by CRF will be better yet. i.e. the optimal method when you do have a filesize constraint is 2pass but with a sparsely sampled 1st pass. I would integrate that into x264 if it weren't so dependent on avisynth.
Old 30th April 2007, 17:49   #11  |  Link
PuzZLeR
WiLD CaRD

Old ASP habits do die hard don’t they?

In my experiments with x264, I admit that I have failed to notice any (meaningful) quality advantage to either 1-pass or 2-pass (with same file size). I would only look for it because of what my experience with DivX was where it was obvious. It appears that the 2-pass mindset is a thing of the past, especially regarding the abilities of the H.264 standard.

In fact, even with x264, I would first encode in 1-pass and then feed that bitrate into 2-pass. Sometimes to alleviate some of the long H.264 encode times, I would even use the DivX quantizers to encode, and the resulting bitrate would serve as an index and to a proportionally equal bitrate for 2-pass x264 encoding.

I am grateful to hear from this thread that this is more a waste of time than productive. Even if I did get any added quality with 2-pass, it would be so minute and not worthy of the extra couple of steps.

2-pass is king when needing a certain amount of video time, or clips, for a given amount of storage unit and I will continue to use it as such.

However, after reading this thread, when a certain “fit” is not important, and bitrate calculators are not necessary, I’m going 1-pass all the way. Thank you to all.
Old 30th April 2007, 18:14   #12  |  Link
audyovydeo

Quote:
I am grateful to hear from this thread that this is more a waste of time than productive. Even if I did get any added quality with 2-pass, it would be so minute and not worthy of the extra couple of steps.

However, after reading this thread, when a certain “fit” is not important, and bitrate calculators are not necessary, I’m going 1-pass all the way. Thank you to all.
As a recent addition to the x264 user base I'm dead in the middle of intensive testing to determine the "best" settings.
I'd essentially tried only 2-pass following the general wisdom that "it's the best", but all my testing is pointing to the fact that I'd get 200% the encode time for less than 1% quality increase (SSIM) and visually identical content.

Quote:
... I would first encode in 1-pass and then feed that bitrate into 2-pass
I'd like to know if/how you managed to automate that in Windows : I dont think x264 sets env variables with the output parms, at least in win32. That said, 99% of my encodes I don't even specify a bitrate, I let x264 go with the "quality" settings II give it.
audyovydeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 18:35   #13  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

Quote:
It appears that the 2-pass mindset is a thing of the past, especially regarding the abilities of the H.264 standard.
x264's ratecontrol has nothing to do with H.264 (except insofar as it has to translate the internal units to/from QP for the final output). If I were writing a MPEG-1 codec, 2pass would be just as obsolete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audyovydeo
I'd get 200% the encode time
There's your first mistake. 2pass is not twice as slow as 1pass.

Last edited by akupenguin; 30th April 2007 at 18:37.
Old 30th April 2007, 18:58   #14  |  Link
audyovydeo

Quote:
There's your first mistake. 2pass is not twice as slow as 1pass.
My respects, akupenguin : it was a question of brevity. Real-life testing on my PC gives about 183% on average.
audyovydeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 19:58   #15  |  Link
PuzZLeR
WiLD CaRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by audyovydeo View Post
I'd like to know if/how you managed to automate that in Windows : I dont think x264 sets env variables with the output parms, at least in win32. That said, 99% of my encodes I don't even specify a bitrate, I let x264 go with the "quality" settings II give it.
I didn't actually. I would just simply run a batch job overnight using 1-pass. Then, after jotting down the resulting average bitrates per clip, I would run a batch with the same source the next night, this time using 2-pass, with the 1-pass average bitrates from the night before as respective bitrate parameters in 2-pass.

Actually, regarding HandBrake, a GUI for x264, you may find this thread interesting in their forums. They are attempting to accomplish just that, an automated process that implements the "benefits" of 1-pass combined with 2-pass:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287

Quote:
Originally Posted by audyovydeo View Post
I'd essentially tried only 2-pass following the general wisdom that "it's the best", but all my testing is pointing to the fact that I'd get 200% the encode time for less than 1% quality increase (SSIM) and visually identical content.
It does make "philosophical" sense to believe going over content a second time gives better results as I still somewhat do. However, hypothetically speaking, even if a 1% improvement is the result, in terms of logistics, and as an analogy, I personally now realize that it would be foolish to devote 300%, 283%, 200% or even 183% more effort into my job for a 1% pay increase now that I think of it, even if I'm doing it while asleep.
Old 1st May 2007, 06:25   #16  |  Link
legoman666

Why not do a 2 pass encode with x264? I do a lot of 1080p/1080i to 720p conversions. For a 43 minute episode of Firefly, using megui's HD-Slowest profile, the first pass takes an hour. The second pass takes 12. In my case, I might as well do it since the extra time added is negligable and the quality is better.
legoman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 08:25   #17  |  Link
Kuukunen

Quote:
Quantitative metrics such as PSNR are sufficient for comparing 1pass to 2pass
What about the psy stuff, like assigning less quality in fast motion where you can't notice it? Now I'm not sure if that's done in 2pass in a predicted manner, (As in, knowing that the next frame is high motion affects the current one.) or if information about that is saved in the stats files at all. Actually, if it isn't, and predicting stuff like that would have a positive effect on quality, wouldn't lookahead buffer help in this too?
Quote:
It appears that the 2-pass mindset is a thing of the past, especially regarding the abilities of the H.264 standard.
Well, if you want the absolute best quality 2pass is still the way to go. (See lower.) And as I tried to say earlier, the bitstream format (or ASP or AVC) doesn't have anything to do with 2pass or 1pass, it just says "do this and this and this to decode this frame". It's all in the encoder. Of course it's possible to make an encoder that considers every frame when encoding the first one, which would be basically impossible for traditional one pass encoding, but it would be just silly and useless.
Quote:
It does make "philosophical" sense to believe going over content a second time gives better results as I still somewhat do. However, hypothetically speaking, even if a 1% improvement is the result, in terms of logistics, and as an analogy, I personally now realize that it would be foolish to devote 300%, 283%, 200% or even 183% more effort into my job for a 1% pay increase now that I think of it, even if I'm doing it while asleep.
In a way, it does make sense. But more in the way of: "more time spent means more quality". Of course I've debated this whole 2pass vs. 1pass thing with people who have argumented with things like: "you do realize it's impossible to make variable bitrate in one pass, right?"

On the 1% quality increase... Usually analogies suck. So does this. :p When you work, you get money, but with money the thing is, you can only spend it once. When you encode, the final product might be used many times. And my last 2pass encode didn't take 183% of 1pass. The first pass was 3.2FPS and the second was 0.71FPS. (I'm not sure, but I would think the second pass is pretty close to one pass.) Also, if I could 1% more money for work I do while I sleep, of course I'd get it. And finally, usually it's not about the amount of quality increase, but a matter of the sizes of the files that look the same. I don't know how much that difference is with current x264's CRF vs. 2pass. (But I've understood it has a lot to do with bitrate and/or the level of quality.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman666 View Post
Why not do a 2 pass encode with x264? I do a lot of 1080p/1080i to 720p conversions. For a 43 minute episode of Firefly, using megui's HD-Slowest profile, the first. pass takes an hour. The second pass takes 12. In my case, I might as well do it since the extra time added is negligable and the quality is better.
This was what this thread was all about. 1) Because there is really no need to do two passes if one pass can do the same. 2) With current implementations, 2pass encoding takes bitrate as an argument. I don't know beforehand how much bitrate a video needs to look acceptable. Of course, the quality setting needed might vary too, and might be dependant on other encoder settings and filters, but it will surely give a better estimate. Of course I could run some kind of compressibility test, that gives approximate bitrate needed for certain quality, but that's not a full solution.
Old 1st May 2007, 13:59   #18  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

Any thoughts on Absolute Quality ???

I generally use 18-CQ-CRF but I have also experimented with Insane-2-pass... but the overall quallity is still some way from the original... possibly only 60%...
I took 'Band of Brothers' and tried Q18-CQ-CRF on DAResolution (1024x576) comparing the results to an Q18-CQ-CRF Anamorphic (720x576) encode...

Anamorphic Text ... DAR ... VOB

Nobody is interested in great looking text... but it is a relative indicator of the quality of the rest of the encode... look especially at the bottom of the angled leg of the capital R...

Anamorphic ... DAR ... VOB

If you download the VLC snapshots and watch the jeep, particularly between the Anamorphic and DAR encode... the clarity and detail will just jump right out at you...

This DAR quality, however, does not come cheep... the Anamorphic encode is 45% less-than the VOB while the DAR encode is only 24% less-than the VOB original... and encodes times are also 25% slower.
A further consideration is that your movie has been correctly resized during encode rather than, in realtime on plaback... but larger files and higher res can also impact negatively on playback unless you have a dual-core system with RAID... especially if 'seeking' is involved.
I used the Lanczos4 resize filter though there may well be a filter better suited since the movie hasn't been resized, as much as, re-mapped to it's originally intended resolution.

I get the impression that Q18 reaches a quality-threshhold per-pixel... and that the only way to achieve further gains is by 'spreading the love' and letting more pixels carry the load...
I've just finished 'Lord of the Rings 1' at 1152x480 (2.4:1) originally (720x576 PAL / 16:9, black-space top and bottom)... The MKV is 5 GB (with direct copy of audio and subs) compared to 6.3 GB of the Mpeg-2 orginal...

Hardly a great saving, but an interesting experiment in the quest for Absolute Quality ...

Pascal

BTW
I took this a step further and over-sampled a BoB clip to 1280x720 and there was still a significant increase in quality... though it's not quite there with the original...
Original Post

Last edited by delacroixp; 2nd May 2007 at 00:33. Reason: Last word
delacroixp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 14:35   #19  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacroixp View Post
This DAR quality, however, does not come cheep... the Anamorphic encode is 45% less-than the VOB while the DAR encode is only 24% less-than the VOB original
Let me get this straight... you made two encodes at different bitrates, and the one with the higher bitrate looked better. WTF else did you expect to find?

Quote:
A further consideration is that your movie has been correctly resized during encode rather than, in realtime on plaback...
Unless your encoded resolution exactly matches your monitor resolution, it will be scaled in realtime on playback anyway. So the only question is: scale it both before encoding and during playback, or scale it only on playback. All else being equal, the latter is obviously better.
Pre-scaling could help if and only if all of the following are satisfied: You're encoding only for your own monitor so you know in advance the playback resolution. You use a non-realtime scaling algorithm that's even slower than decoding high resolution h264. And you use high enough bitrate that the extra sharpness introduced by the scaler isn't lost in the encoding artifacts.

Quote:
I get the impression that Q18 reaches a quality-threshhold per-pixel... and that the only way to achieve further gains is by 'spreading the love' and letting more pixels carry the load...
More leftover preconceptions from mpeg4asp. There was something special about mpeg4 Q2. There is nothing special about h264 Q18. Maybe your source doesn't actually contain any more quality than Q18 can represent, but in that case upscaling won't help either.
Old 1st May 2007, 19:33   #20  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@akupenguin

Quote:
Quote:
This DAR quality, however, does not come cheep... the Anamorphic encode is 45% less-than the VOB while the DAR encode is only 24% less-than the VOB original... and encodes times are also 25% slower.
Let me get this straight... you made two encodes at different bitrates, and the one with the higher bitrate looked better. WTF else did you expect to find?
Almost, but not quite... Well, actually, I did an Q17-CQ-CRF and Q16 anamorphic encode with no significant increase in quality from Q18. In other words, H264 used a much higher average-bitrate with no discernable difference...
However, for the same filesize, by increasing the resolution while maintaining Q18, there was, and is, a clear increase in quality...

Sure, it's not 10 movie encodes on a single 4.5 GB DVD with beautifull efficiency... but a DAResolution encode does bridge the, not-inconsiderable, quality-gap between an anamorphic encode and the orginal VOB movie material... all else being equal...

Quote:
Quote:
A further consideration is that your movie has been correctly resized during encode rather than, in realtime on plaback...
Unless your encoded resolution exactly matches your monitor resolution, it will be scaled in realtime on playback anyway. So the only question is: scale it both before encoding and during playback, or scale it only on playback. All else being equal, the latter is obviously better.
Point taken...

Quote:
Quote:
More leftover preconceptions from mpeg4asp. There was something special about mpeg4 Q2. There is nothing special about h264 Q18. Maybe your source doesn't actually contain any more quality than Q18 can represent, but in that case upscaling won't help either.
Well Band of Brothers was never a regular full-feature movie release... but it was the most expensive TV-series to date, at $250 million. My DVD looks pretty regular to me though I have no idea what process, other than being fully digital, it took to get from raw, un-compressed data... to the final few GB's in DVD format...
I can only comment on what I've seen and perceived given the short time I've used H264 or even given my limited encoding experience...

It certainly seams to me that you have a better chance of increasing quality beyond Q18-CQ-CRF by increasing resolution after this point... even beyond Anamorphic or DAResolution if you so choose... which is a farcry from DVDShrink if all you need is a 10% or 20% reduction in filesize...

You're the Guru... you explain the anomaly...

Pascal

BTW
I had another look at the PNG's and the difference in quality is almost palpable... Even if over-sampling is a total crap-shoot... Q18-Anamorphic and even Q18 encodes in general, have a long way to go before they match original quality.

Last edited by delacroixp; 1st May 2007 at 19:47. Reason: Review
delacroixp is offline   Reply With Quote