Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 31st December 2001, 18:52   #1  |  Link
benf2

mux a mpg and AC3 and output mpg not vob

Hi,
I used flask with the LSX plugin to create a mpg video file and an AC3 audio file. I need to know what software will let me mux the files together and output it as mpg not vob. I will then take the mpg and import it to Ulead Dvd Maker which will output to my DVD+RW to play on my stand alone player.

I have software that takes mpg video and mpg audio to give me an mpg, but it resulted in dolby surround sound and not Dolby Digital AC3.

If there is an easier way or you know of what will give me an mpg out to load into Ulead please let me know!!

Thanks
benf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2002, 14:02   #2  |  Link
benf2

Well, I guess i found my own alternative since nobody could help, but if someone does know an easier way let me know.

I used a friends DVD Maestro, and imported the 2 files and compiled them into dvd format. I then used Nero to burn the Video ts folder to the DVD+RW disc. Boom --- a playable dvd for my Pioneer stand alone player with AC3 sound.
Old 3rd January 2002, 04:30   #3  |  Link
IcedT

It's always those friends, hm?

I had a hard time with that, too. However you can use free tools, with the exception of LSX of course, to multiplex video and ac3: bbmpg which should come with flask (maybe you need a newer version). [If your source is a vob you can use dvd2avi to demux the ac3 out of the program file while 'saving project.'
Since you already have all files that obviously isn't so interesting.]

To multiplex, open any file in flask (doesn't matter what) then select output as 'bbmpg' then hit 'Flask it.' Or use the bbmpg from AVI2MPG2 (newer). Again it doesn't matter what file you select in the program, since you select them in the extensive bbmpg settings dialogue (hit 'Settings' in the bbMPEG window), go to 'Input Output files' and open your mpeg video (*.m2v?), and ac3 streams (in boxes 2 and 3 respectively), select some file as program stream (you may need to provide a dummy file - just make txt file and rename it to whatever.mpg). In the 'General Settings' tab UNcheck both encode boxes (your files are already set to go), and Check both 'Multiplex'ing boxes, in the latest version of bbmpg, provided with AVI2MPG2 (the standard bbmpg download from the doom9 site) you can also set the startup delay for your various streams under the 'Program Stream Settings' tab. If you were to rip a dvd and demux the ac3 stream(s) with dvd2avi the ac3 filenames would indicate the proper delay.

Hit OK, then Start (back in the bbmpg main window). It should analyze both files and make the program file in no time.

I already did a number of backups that way. Works perfectly. Full Dolby Digital 5.1. And PowerDVD XP does a wonderful job of playing them. (I don't have a stand-alone player, but a full 6 channel set-up, the real stuff, no shitty pc tweaker, build them myself.)

What I haven't figured out yet is how to open the bbmpg dialog on its own, it always only comes with something else. It's "only" a dll, is there somewhere an exe that just starts the settings dialog of bb?? Probably the source code is available, but I don't really feel like it.

Although I'm not sure if the above way is easier or anything than Maestro; haven't tried it yet, is it good?
IcedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2002, 16:24   #4  |  Link
IcedT

one more thing

forgot to mention:

In bbmpg, under the 'Program Stream Settings' tab, you also have to set 'Program Stream Type' to DVD, a mux rate of 0 isn't quite enough
Old 4th January 2002, 11:41   #5  |  Link
bru

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by benf2
Well, I guess i found my own alternative since nobody could help, but if someone does know an easier way let me know.

I used a friends DVD Maestro, and imported the 2 files and compiled them into dvd format. I then used Nero to burn the Video ts folder to the DVD+RW disc. Boom --- a playable dvd for my Pioneer stand alone player with AC3 sound.
Hi, I've been trying to do a re-authoring using Maestro with no luck.
First, I ripped the VOB files using smartripper and merge them together to create one huge VOB file. Then I re-encoded the video files using CCE, and extract the .ac3 file from it.

I imported both files to the DVDMaestro media assets, and both were parsed successfully with no errors. I dragged the .ac3 file to the audio track 1 in the movie window with no errors. But when I drag the movie file to the movie window, I got this error "The Video Asset Length is greater than the maximum allowed". What's this means? The video file was 3 GB, was it to big?

I then tried reduce the video file to only about 400MB by encoding only several chapters, but I ended up with the same problem.

Please help!!

thanks -bru-
bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2002, 16:02   #6  |  Link
IcedT

Quote:
Originally posted by bru

What's this means? The video file was 3 GB, was it to big?
A standard vob is limited to less than 1 GB, and Audio and Video together must be below 9.8Mb/s.
Have you tried encoding one vob at a time (and/or in batch mode), and then putting it together?
The guys over in using cce instead of reempeg -> OW no sync ! a working hard to get CCE video to work in various authoring situations, maybe you oughta check with them.
Old 5th January 2002, 02:04   #7  |  Link
bru

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by IcedT

A standard vob is limited to less than 1 GB, and Audio and Video together must be below 9.8Mb/s.
Have you tried encoding one vob at a time (and/or in batch mode), and then putting it together?
The guys over in using cce instead of reempeg -> OW no sync ! a working hard to get CCE video to work in various authoring situations, maybe you oughta check with them.
Yes, I've tried to drag only about 600 MB but still getting the same error, I wonder why. I've been also watching the other discussion for sometime now and still haven't find out how to mux from CCE result, not even with ifoedit. This is because CCE is producing a new GOP structure rather than the original not like REMPEG, but REMPEG quality is not good. So I tried to re-author it using DVDMaestro.

-bru
bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2002, 16:13   #8  |  Link
benf2

Have you tried using the LSX mpeg plugin. I have had very good results with it. I have been using it to create a split mpeg and ac3 file then mux them with Maestro and using Nero to burn the VTS video folder to DVD and it plays fine on my stand alone player.

I see a lot of info for setting up CCE for Svcd but not a lot on DVD creation.. I hope someone will put up some results and the settings they used.

Ben