Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD Rebuilder

Old 19th March 2007, 08:44   #1  |  Link
EvanOz85

DVD RB keeps converting Akira into 4:3

Strange problem here. I am trying to re-encode the DTS version of the anime Akira. In the input settings, it says that the film is 16:9, however in the preview it is squashed to fullscreen, and it also says "4:3" when I try to run HCenc. If I play the original file, it runs fine in 16:9 mode.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Last edited by EvanOz85; 19th March 2007 at 08:46.
EvanOz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2007, 14:21   #2  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOz85 View Post
Strange problem here. I am trying to re-encode the DTS version of the anime Akira. In the input settings, it says that the film is 16:9, however in the preview it is squashed to fullscreen, and it also says "4:3" when I try to run HCenc. If I play the original file, it runs fine in 16:9 mode.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Probably it is encded in 720x480 (NTSC) or in 720x576 (PAL) anamorphic. Look it up on wikipedia for instance, than you'll understand this phenomena.

I think all will be ok, especially when you allready mentioned that it played back as it should (16:9).
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 00:58   #3  |  Link
wmansir

The 16:9 property is just a flag set on the stream that tells the player to resize the picture on playback. As G_M_C said, the video is encoded at the same resolution either way. And the preview just shows the video it will send to the encoder.

DVD-RB sends the encoders raw video and has them encode it in a standard way, then it copies the flags from the original video on to the new video during rebuild. This saves RB the hassle of detecting the flags and translating them to each encoder's setting and also provides a workaround for situations where it would be impossible for the encoder to exactly duplicate the original stream. Because of this 'simplified' process, the encoder settings may not match the original video, but the final output of DVD-RB should be fine.
wmansir is offline   Reply With Quote