Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 22nd January 2007, 05:44   #1  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Blocking in red-colored areas: what could it be?

I'm ripping my Simpsons S7 DVDs and found out that the source has some slight blocking on red-colored areas. Here's a clip showing the issue (most visible around Willie's beret):

http://rapidshare.com/files/12794029...muxed.m2v.html

Any idea what this is and how it can be eliminated?
Old 22nd January 2007, 10:20   #2  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

It has to do with the way YUV works, because the eye is by far much less sensitive to red/violets than to any other color, they're weighted far less and thus quantization affects them much more. Because the YUV conversion isn't quite right, red is usually the first place overquantization shows up. JPEG suffers the same problem. An interesting experiment is inverting the chroma planes, and see how what was a decent looking red-violet area is suddenly an unbearably bad (blocky, ringy, and banded) blue-green one.

(Interestingly, although we're less sensitive to reds in general, we're less sensitive to transitions of blue than other colors. So while a blue surface appears brighter than an identical red one, it's a little fuzzier.)

See, I guess all that schooling wasn't for naught.

How to eliminate it? Deblock the chroma planes. (And the luma if it suits your fancy.) Maybe touch it with SSIQ if that causes any color bleeding.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 14:07   #3  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Would it be something like this (deduced from mediawiki's explanation of SWAP):

Code:
video=last
u_chroma = UToY(video).DeBlock_QED()
YToUV(u_chroma, video.VToY)
MergeLuma(video)
video=last
v_chroma = VToY(video).DeBlock_QED()
YToUV(v_chroma, video.UToY)
MergeLuma(video)
? Also, my current script is this:

Code:
MPEG2Source("C:\smps\Epi1.d2v",info=3)

ColorMatrix(hints=true,interlaced=true)

BiFrost()

DeCross()

DeDot()

AssumeTFF()
Deinted=TDeint(order=1,field=1,type=1)
TFM(d2v="C:\smps\Epi1.d2v",order=1,mode=6,PP=7,slow=2,mChroma=false,Clip2=Deinted)
TDecimate(mode=1)

FFT3DFilter(sigma=3,plane=3,bw=32,bh=32,bt=5,ow=16,oh=16)

gradfun2db()

DeGrainMedian()

DeHalo_Alpha()

Crop(8,0,702,480,align=true)

Spline36Resize(512,384)

aWarpSharp(depth=16,cm=1)

dull=last
sharp=dull.LimitedSharpenFaster(SMode=4,Strength=150)
Soothe(sharp,dull,25)
Would putting the chroma deblocking after the FFT3DFilter line be a good idea?
Old 22nd January 2007, 14:54   #4  |  Link
*.mp4 guy

To get the most out of it gradfun should always be used at the end of the script.
*.mp4 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 14:57   #5  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Why is that? Also, how should it be located if used more than once?
Old 22nd January 2007, 16:01   #6  |  Link
*.mp4 guy

it should be last because it adds yv12 dithering to the image, puting filters after it will get rid of the dithering or change it, there shouldn't be any benefit to using it more then once with the same strength on the same clip.
*.mp4 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 00:04   #7  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

it can also reduce contrast and bleed flat areas into other flat areas... i'd use it judiciously if i were you. also it's only relevant for RGB or if RGB appears in the filter chain. for yuv to yuv it's useless except for maybe VMR display on a computer.

dither can be achieved with addgrain at very low (nearly imperceptible?) amounts.
Old 23rd January 2007, 01:15   #8  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Ok, so gradfun2db should only be used in extreme banding cases or if RGB colorspace is introduced/present in the chain then. Thanks for the advice . What about the question in my second post, is the script snippet I posted a good way to deblock chroma?
Old 23rd January 2007, 09:14   #9  |  Link
Didée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainmax View Post
Would it be something like this (deduced from mediawiki's explanation of SWAP):

Code:
video=last
u_chroma = UToY(video).DeBlock_QED()
MergeLuma(video)
video=last
v_chroma = VToY(video).DeBlock_QED()
MergeLuma(video)
That's not really a good idea. Basically for the almost same reason like this here :

Deblock_QED works with a fixed 8x8 grid mask. But if you execute UVtoY(), then you get a halfsize frame, where the smallest possible blocksize is 4x4. Thus deblock_qed will potentially miss half of all blocking, if you do it that way ...

If at all, then it would simply be
Code:
vid = whatever
vid.deblock_qed().mergeluma(vid)
However, if it's only chroma that is concerned, perhaps you're better off with just deblock().

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)

Last edited by Didée; 23rd January 2007 at 09:16.
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 13:45   #10  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

So, if using DeBlock(), would this:

Code:
video=last
u_chroma = UToY(video).DeBlock()
MergeLuma(video)
video=last
v_chroma = VToY(video).DeBlock()
MergeLuma(video)
be the correct script snippet or would there be a more elegant, shorter solution? Also, as you can see I'm already using BiFrost, DeCross and FFT3DFilter on chroma because the source has some nasty rainbows, won't using DeBlock() blur the chroma too much?
Old 23rd January 2007, 14:20   #11  |  Link
Didée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainmax View Post
... won't using DeBlock() blur the chroma too much?
Can't be answered ... that's up to you to decide.

I'm just wondering: Deblock() is deblocking both luma and chroma. Why do you want to go that road with putting-chroma-into-luma, deblock that (with 2 instances of deblock), and then put-chroma-back-from-luma-to-chroma?

The result is (should) not be different from just deblock().mergeluma(last) like I posted above ... you get the same, but do it much more complicated, and slower.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Old 23rd January 2007, 14:50   #12  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

What I want to do is to deblock the chroma in order to get rid of the blocking in red-colored areas like Groundskeeper Willie's beret in the sample I posted i the OP.
Old 23rd January 2007, 15:17   #13  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

The cpu2="oxoxoo" argument to mpeg2source will also deblock chroma-only. I don't see any actual blocking, but I'm tired and Didée has called me blind before. >.> Maybe the horror of the dot crawl is making my brain shut down - you couldn't pay me to watch that.

For some reason upconv=1 isn't working, and you have to manually specify interlaced conversion to rgb or yuy2 to see it correctly. I wonder if I've trusted upconv incorrectly in the past...
Old 23rd January 2007, 16:46   #14  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Actually, it wasn't Didée who said this was a chroma blocking issue. You suggested that on the second post. Maybe this isn't a chroma blocking issue?
In any case, how does MPEG2Source's deblocking compare to DeBlock() and DeBlock_QED() in terms of blurriness and detail removal? The source has to go through enough filtering as it is, and I don't want to overdo it.
Old 23rd January 2007, 22:34   #15  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

ІдштвЗЗ шы уйгшюююю

Okay, I don't know what happened there. Trying again,

BlindPP is the same as the cpu argument, aside from being blind about it. Deblock has a bit different look to it, but they both do their deblocking thing. At least with the built-in version the strength is based on the quant. I don't think you'll see any difference if you use them in chroma-only, since shows like that have practically no chroma detail to protect.

I hadn't actually seen the clip for the first post. I don't know what would actually futher improve it after all that filtering.
Old 23rd January 2007, 22:42   #16  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Ok,I'll try the cpu2 parameter then,thanks for the suggestion. I'd still like to ask you to download the sample (it's only ~8MB) and see if you can spot the problem.

By the way, this thread has given me a couple of new ideas on how to deal with my infamous Simpsons S1E1 clip. Could you please tell me how would I go about using FunkyDeBlock() on both chroma planes?

[edit]using cpu2="ooxxoo"didn't yield any noticeable difference, so it probably isn't chroma blocking .

Last edited by Chainmax; 23rd January 2007 at 23:51. Reason: Update
Chainmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 02:01   #17  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

I'm dealing with some heavily blocked source atm, encoding many samples using Deblock (Fizick's plugin) and BlindPP. If I come to any useful conclusions, I'll report back immediately. Over

PS. Deblock seems to do a better job, as for now at least, higher quants than the default 20, but I'm playing with threshold and the second argument (strength? sensitivity?), to reduce smoothing of some small fine details.

Last edited by HeadBangeR77; 24th January 2007 at 02:05.
HeadBangeR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 14:48   #18  |  Link
Didée

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
but I'm tired and Didée has called me blind before. >.>
Have a reference when/where I should've insulted you in such a way? I remember once pulling your leg a little, and once I asked whether your eyes are tired (which will happen after 20 hours in front of the screen).
That's all I can remember.

To the issue (managed to have a look at the sample, finally)

As it has been mentioned already, that's not "blocking", just the usual YV12 color disease. Also, there seems to be some sort of color bleeding, since in those places the color "from the other side" sneaks over the black lines.
Perhaps something can be fiddled with color smoothing ( RemoveGrain(0,11), or blur(0,1) or mt_convolution("1","1 2 1",Y=2,U=3,V=3) ) plus luma-guided chroma warping ( MergeChroma(aWarpSharp(cm=1)) ) ... happy toying, I can't/won't.

Last edited by Didée; 25th January 2007 at 13:01.
Old 24th January 2007, 22:33   #19  |  Link
Alain2

Quote:
luma-guided chroma warping ( MergeChroma(aWarpSharp(cm=0)) )
I don't follow.. if you disable chroma processing in awarpsharp, what is doing MergeChroma(aWarpSharp(cm=0)) ?
Alain2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 23:02   #20  |  Link
Didée

C'mon ... if I write cm=0, then of course I mean cm=1. Logically, isn't it?
(Script corrected.)

However ... didn't PrunedTree make a "modded" version of aWarpSharp (ref. in this thread), without noting what the mod actually had changed? ... perhaps cm=0 is correct with that one?

Last edited by Didée; 24th January 2007 at 23:10.