Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th August 2007, 05:28   #41  |  Link
Seraphic-
Forum Member

Yeah, they sell Playstation 3 D-Terminal Cables in Japan, but Play-Asia them too. They offer two versions, but not sure what one would offer a better signal.

Sony D-Terminal Cable and Hori D Terminal Cable

Agreed, I would have to get something like an "Analog-to-Digital Converter" for the Playstation 1 game audio. Do you remember the price of that?

My current system has 2GB ram and a 250GB SataII HDD, but again, my cpu is only single core @ 2.4 Ghz (AMD 64 4000+)

What type/size hard drive do you have? Also, how large are the captured video files per minute? Like for 480p/720p/1080i/p.

As for your capture setup it looks good. However, you should try to use a direct connection. The reason being that using lots of splitters and converters will degrade the signal. Also, so you got the signal amplifier before the PV and don't need it? Or The signal amplifier allows the PV to capture full screen?

Ordered a PS3 the other day and I'm going to get one of those PS3 D-Terminal cables if I can get a hold of a PV card.

You have a chance to record those Gears of War videos?

Last edited by Seraphic-; 26th August 2007 at 05:45.
Seraphic- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 00:05   #42  |  Link
Dot50Cal

Yep, Im tracking down a cable now Most likely Ill go with the official one since 3rd party ones have tended to be worse in my experience.

I think it was around 50 dollars, its for sale on that site I linked to somewhere.

I have a 600GB HDD I record to. Its two 300GB Maxtor's raided together with SATA. 7L300S0 are their model numbers.

A really fast paced shooter game in 720p (Super Stardust HD) is around 31GB for 25 minutes of footage. This will of course vary greatly.

I tried capturing some Gears footage but to compress it to a decent size it looks like crap. Plus its been ages since I played the game and Im terribly rusty. Ill see if I can capture another game tonight. I've been a bit busy :P

Ill PM you the link when its uploaded. (You'll need an x264 decoder installed).

>>Also, so you got the signal amplifier before the PV and don't need it? Or The signal amplifier allows the PV to capture full screen?

I dont need it, Passing the cables through a female to female RCA jack is enough, though I still use it just incase I need to send the signal to another television or something.

Last edited by Dot50Cal; 27th August 2007 at 00:27.
Dot50Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 00:47   #43  |  Link
Dot50Cal

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/GTHD%20Final.mp4

Someones replay of GTHD. I captured at 1080p (960x1080) and resized to 720p size. For GTHD it actually looks better than native 720p, since you get odd scaling issues with far away backgrounds.
Old 27th August 2007, 01:48   #44  |  Link
Seraphic-
Forum Member

Using a direct D-Terminal connection should improve the picture a fair amount. Let me know if you find a better price for official Sony version though. Also, be sure to find out if they are the PS2 or PS3 edition before you buy. It seems both work with both systems, however, it would be better to get one designed for PS3, rather then one designed for the PS2, and works with the PS3.

How much cache do your hard drives have and what raid setup are you using? And 31GB isn't too bad for 25 minutes, I thought it larger in fact.

Don't worry about the GoW. Just wanted to get some more samples to view the picture quality.

That video is awesome, looks great.

What x264 encoder are you using? I've always had a hard time when trying to use them. lol.

Also, about your friend's Intensity Pro, does that work with the PS3 when using HDMI? Or is HDMI gaming on the PS3 encrypted (i.e, won't display video/audio)?

Last edited by Seraphic-; 27th August 2007 at 04:27.
Old 27th August 2007, 05:47   #45  |  Link
Dot50Cal

16MB cache on the HDD's

I use Megui It takes a really long time to encode even with a top of the line system but the results cant be argued with.

No, the Intensity Pro doesnt do HDCP and the PS3 requires it.
Old 27th August 2007, 05:53   #46  |  Link
Seraphic-
Forum Member

Yeah, thought it wouldn't work. Don't we all love DRM?

Anyway, I had a hard time with Megui. I could never get audio to be encoded with my video and the final video output always came out as a REALLY low bit-rate. (even when using HQ/Insane settings)

Last edited by Seraphic-; 27th August 2007 at 05:57.
Old 27th August 2007, 06:02   #47  |  Link
Dot50Cal

Well, you do the audio seperate and then mux them together with the Tools menu I use my own custom settings, based off the recommended ones when you get the tooltips.

Also Im not sure how big of a difference Ill see using a direct D-Terminal cable. Its been my experience that a few links in the chain like I have now dont really do significant damage to the singal. That should especially be negated since Im using an AMP powered signal splitter, but Ill give it a go and report the results
Old 5th September 2007, 01:16   #48  |  Link
jmac698

Just want to mention that any capture card can do 480p from component, as long as you can play the exact video in 3 passes. I've done it here.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...=component4all
jmac698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 19:51   #49  |  Link
Dot50Cal

Got the PS3 D-Terminal cable in. The difference is slight, but its there. 1.90MB pics:

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/D-term.png

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/comp.png
Old 13th September 2007, 13:59   #50  |  Link
Seraphic-
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot50Cal View Post
Got the PS3 D-Terminal cable in. The difference is slight, but its there. 1.90MB pics:

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/D-term.png

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/comp.png
The big difference I see is that the comp image looks brighter, but in terms of quality, the D-term looks more detailed.

What firmware your PS3 running? Just got mine today and it came with 1.51.

On another note, the PV4 was released few days ago. People buying them and reselling for about 2x...

Last edited by Seraphic-; 13th September 2007 at 23:03.
Old 14th September 2007, 01:19   #51  |  Link
Dot50Cal

The latest, always. You need to upgrade when a new one is released or you cant use any online features. 1.93 was just released which fixes some connection issues in 1.92.
Old 29th September 2007, 12:08   #52  |  Link
Dot50Cal

Just thought I mentioned this. Looking further into it, it seems the amp puts a "wave" pattern into the signal which is pretty distracting. Ill most likely be removing it since Im not splitting the signal anyway. Ill just go with some female phono plugs.

Also, Ill be getting XBOX 360 and Wii D-Terminal Cables so I'll post some shots up of the differences with them.

Side note: PSP slim's video out (480p only for games) is quite nice

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/psp1.png

I also have some 480p Wii shots that a user was asking me for, so if anyone is interested they are here:
http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/480p.rar

Last edited by Dot50Cal; 29th September 2007 at 12:11.
Old 30th September 2007, 02:44   #53  |  Link
Seraphic-
Forum Member

What "amp" are you talking about? Not sure what you mean.

Yeah, I picked up PSP, PS3 and Xbox 360 D-Terminal cables and PS3/360 Fiber Optic audio cables as well. But I won't be buying a 360 until the game I'm looking for is released into the market. There are just too many hardware problems with the system right now as they overheat and die.

What slim model did you order? My one from Japan is still on order as its out of stock. So I take it the video out feature works well? As you know it outputs a 720x480 picture with the game in a letter-box 480x272. Sound over-all good? I also heard that the aspect ratio is somewhat off when using video out.

Also Dot50Cal, do you live in the U.S? There is a slight power difference between U.S and Japan, so I was somewhat concerned about using a Japanese hardware card in a U.S system. But if you are, it would seem like there won't be a problem. And do you use a RAID 0 or 5 for your setup?

The Earthsoft PV4 is still out of stock throughout Japan, but I found another card that allows for the same capture of 480i/p, 720p, 1080i and also has lossless capture codec support. Don't have it yet, but I'll post my results when it arrives.

Last edited by Seraphic-; 30th September 2007 at 02:48.
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:24   #54  |  Link
djpubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphic- View Post
I also just found THIS while searching google for 480p capture cards. It's called the Conexant CX23885 video/audio chip and it seems that the Leadtek Winfast PxTV1200 uses the chip with their tv-tuner/capture card. Not sure if anyone has heard of this or know other cards that use this chip-set, but it's something to look into. I can't locate specific capture specs for the Winfast at the moment, but if anyone finds more info be sure to post it.

CX23885 specifications: 480i YPrPb, 480p YPrPb, 720p YPrPb, 1080i YPrPb (view below image for the rest)

I've been trying to find a 480p capture solution and bought a Winfast PxTV1200 for $55 hoping it would work. It does not. It does 480i only. I tried with VitrualDub, dscaler and the oem software. No joy.
djpubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 05:01   #55  |  Link
SeanTek
One Who Plays the Wii

SKnet Monster X

Hi All,

I have been following this thread for a long time now, and think that I have finally found the right card. While I was in Japan this summer I picked up two SKnet Monster X cards:
http://www.sknet-web.co.jp/product/mhvx.html

The Monster X PCI Express internal card that captures up to 1920x1080 (480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i--1080p is not supported), along with stereo analog or S/PDIF, using a D-Terminal connector. In other words, it supports up to D4 (in D-Terminal speak). You can download the drivers and application software directly from SKnet.

According to sources that I found (and by inspection of the PCB), the card uses the Analog Devices AD9983A A/D converter. This converter appears to max out at 1080i, so 1080p is totally impossible. http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0%2C28...983A%2C00.html

It's too bad SKnet didn't shell out $1/unit more for the AD9984, as the AD9984 apparently goes to 1080p. Alas, we make do with what we can.

When I was in Japan I looked everywhere for a card, after trying the Blackmagic Intensity Pro in June (which did not work out as it only supports 480i, not 480p). As has been noted on this forum, the Earthsoft PV3 or PV4 are impossible to find. I checked out the Canopus HDRECS, but like the Intensity Pro, the HDRECS does not appear to support 480p. The HDRECS also costs around US$1000.

I am successfully using the Monster X to play Nintendo Wii, in 480p widescreen, on my 30" HP LP3065 monitor in Windows XP SP2 32-bit. The Monster X is specifically marketed to support playing of high-resolution game consoles such as Xbox, Xbox 360, GameCube, Wii, PlayStation 2 (PS2), and PlayStation 3 (PS3) on your computer monitor. They specifically tout PS3. Of course, you could also use this to capture video out of another computer if that computer is outputting component video, and you have a D Terminal connector.

If people want proof I can upload pictures. I found that the included Monster X software sort of dithered the onscreen image so that it looked like bad 16-bit or even 8-bit color about 95% of the time. However, I managed to get DScaler up and running with the card. I was using an nVidia 7600GT and am now using an 8600GTS, so I do not know if the bad dithering should be blamed on the Monster X drivers, DirectX, the Monster X software, or the video card driver. The bottom line, though, is that with DScaler (and maybe 5% of the time with the SKnet-provided application), the quality was pristine and amazing. Any questions? Has anyone else tried this card?
SeanTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:02   #56  |  Link
Ranguvar

The HAVA Platinum HD will accept anywhere from 480i to 1080p component, pass it through to your TV, and downscale it to 480i and send it digitally through Ethernet.

So, no HD recording, but HD viewing and very good quality recording.
Ranguvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 01:08   #57  |  Link
djpubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot50Cal View Post
Yes, PV3 uses its own codec by default. Some guys have found a way to get the signal being sent to the PV3 monitor app though into an Avisynth script, but the image appears washed out for me, but that could be because I am putting the AVS script into VirtualDub. I can get some captures of lossless vs their codec, give me a little bit. Its quite efficient and I dont think you'd notice much difference to be honest.

I picked up a PV4 recently. Can you explain further how/where to grab the stuff I need to take lossless screen? I seem to only be able to grab stills from a recorded dv movie, which is compressed with their proprietary codec.

Will the MonsterX card capture in a lossless format?

Last edited by djpubba; 17th November 2007 at 01:21.
djpubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 19:36   #58  |  Link
SeanTek
One Who Plays the Wii

More on the Monster X

I wanted to provide an update on my Monster X experience. Yes, the Monster X will capture in a lossless format. With appropriate fiddling, the quality is really quite pristine.

My hard disk crashed so I had to reinstall Windows XP (32-bit). Incidentally, on the partition formerly known as "working OS installation," I was able to use DScaler with the Monster X card without a problem. However, I installed DScaler (both 4.15 and the experimental 4.16) after installing the Monster X drivers, and unfortunately, DScaler causes a STOP error of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when it switches to "composite video" (the component video input pin) on the Monster X.

Hope, however, is not lost. I found the following at karinto (かりんと!) http://karinto2.mine.nu/index.php?MonsterX

Apparently this poster has a Monster X and has done a lot of amazing work with this card! I tried using the MxCapture application posted there:
http://karinto2.mine.nu/index.php?MonsterXTOOL

And the Monster X is working beautifully with the tool. (I used the tool in conjunction with the Monster X Setting Utility to change the color balance.) I have not yet tried to capture, but MxCapture apparently supports capturing in a variety of formats and quality settings.

The MonsterXTOOL page also has a link to "64bit_test" drivers. Hooray--64-bit drivers! It says that the test version is unsupported, but the fact that they exist at all is encouraging. Does someone have Windows Vista 64-bit, and if so, can they test those drivers? I seriously doubt that they would work on Windows XP x64 as they are built with "Longhorn DDK Provider" in the resource description, but it's worth a try as well if anyone out there is willing to give it a shot.
SeanTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 23:37   #59  |  Link
Mysteriouskk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTek View Post
I wanted to provide an update on my Monster X experience. Yes, the Monster X will capture in a lossless format. With appropriate fiddling, the quality is really quite pristine.
How did you get your monster x running? I installed the drivers, program, etc, and all I'm seeing is static or a green screen when my xbox 360 is connected to my computer using the D-terminal cable. I've tried dscaler, mplayer classic, and they all do the same thing.

Thanks
Mysteriouskk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2007, 01:14   #60  |  Link
ajp_anton

So does this Monster X really work (you had some problems after a re-install)?
I'd prefed capturing with VirtualDub, but as long as I can get lossless 480p and 720p I'm happy.

Does it do 60fps btw? <-important

And then there's also the D-terminal cable... why all these different cables

Last edited by ajp_anton; 25th November 2007 at 01:19.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote