Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 27th December 2006, 01:41   #1  |  Link
muslix64

BackupHDDVD, a tool to decrypt AACS protected movies

Hi everyone.

I was not aware of anyone having done that, so I did.
BackupHDDVD is a tool to decrypt a AACS protected movie that you own, so you can play it back later using
an HDDVD player software.

This is the first version, and it's not very stable yet.

This software don't provide any cryptographic keys, so you have to add your own keys.

Watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oZGYb92isE

Executable and source code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/8318838/...HDDVD.zip.html

Please read the FAQ before asking me any questions.

Merry Christmas everyone!
muslix64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 02:17   #2  |  Link
linx05

Is this for real? Can anyone test this?
linx05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 02:40   #3  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

I can verify that there are no viruses. I am reading the faq right now.

Even comes with the source.
Old 27th December 2006, 02:46   #4  |  Link
muslix64

Yes, this is for real ;-)

This is real, any good java programmer can confirm this program make sense, and all that is missing is the decryption keys.

Take a look at the FAQ file for details...

I already have a version that works with volume key instead of title keys. Even more powerfull!

Version 1.0, with volume key support should be out on january 2.
Old 27th December 2006, 02:47   #5  |  Link
linx05

Yeah, I've gotten that far too. It just seems too simple. We've all read the many news articles about how AACS cannot be decrypted but here is this program, so small, claiming it can do that.

We'll see.

EDIT: Very nice
linx05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 04:09   #6  |  Link
chadamir

Spoke too soon watched the video. Where do the decyption keys come from. I've thought about it and have no idea.

Last edited by chadamir; 27th December 2006 at 04:14.
chadamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 04:30   #7  |  Link
Adub

supposedly the decryption keys come off the disk. well actually they are encrypted, but when played the keys are decrypted, the rest is kind of left a mystery by the author. Let's see what happens on January 2nd.

What sort of HD DVD drive do you have, muslix64?

Last edited by Adub; 28th December 2006 at 21:10.
Adub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 20:00   #8  |  Link
muslix64

XBOX 360 HD DVD drive

I have a XBOX 360 external USB drive on my PC.
Old 27th December 2006, 20:05   #9  |  Link
muslix64

The Saga of decrypting an AACS protected movie, by Muslix64.

The Saga of decrypting an AACS protected movie, by Muslix64.

December 6:

I just bought a HD-DVD drive to plug on my PC, and a HD movie, cool! But when I realized the 2 software
players on windows don't allowed me to play the movie at all, because my video card is not HDCP compliant and because I
have a HD monitor plugged with DVI interface, I started to get mad... This is not what we can call "fair use"! So I
decide to decrypt that movie. I start reading the AACS specification I have found on the net. I estimate it will take
me about 4 weeks of full time job to decrypt that. I was wrong, it was in fact, easy...

BTW, when I disable my HD monitor, I can watch the movie,on my old VGA screen, but, what is the point of having
a HD monitor and not being able to watch a HD movie on it!

December 7 to December 12:

Nothing, I try many things, but I'm going nowhere. I change my technique

December 13:

Now I focus only on title key. I was very surprise to realize that the title key is there, in memory! Can it be
that easy? Around 7PM, I decrypt my first movie "pack". Around 11PM, I have now a totally decrypted movie! But there is
a problem. Frame skipping.

December 14:

After many tests, I found a field in the Nav pack, that fix the frame skipping problem.
Wow! Now I can watch a smooth playback of an HDDVD film that I have decrypted!
After only 8 days of work, I was able to decrypt an HD-DVD movie! What's the problem? There is a major
security problem somewhere.

December 15 and December 16:

I put together a small program called "BackupHDDVD", a java based command line utility to decrypt movies.

December 17:

I made a small video called "AACS is Unbreakable" where you can see the output of the program while decrypting.
You can also see a playback of a decrypted movie.

December 18:

Upload that video on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oZGYb92isE

December 20:

Upload the program and source code on RapidShare (V0.99)
http://rapidshare.com/files/8318838/...HDDVD.zip.html

December 21:

I want to go further in the decryption, so I decide to track down the "Volume unique key" instead of title key.
I found it also! I'm preparing BackupHDDVD V1.00, that will support volume key and title keys.

December 25:

Merry Christmas!

December 26:

I create a thread on the Doom9 forum about BackupHDDVD. People don't believe it...
Old 27th December 2006, 21:33   #10  |  Link
strider01

Hi Muslix64... could you please upload this to an alternative download source besides the infamous rapidshare? Unfortunately, I'm not having much luck with it... i just got an invalid download session after waiting 23 mins,,and now it wants me to wait 49 mins...grrrr
strider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 22:46   #11  |  Link
bourtzovlakas
dvd.stuff.gr moderator

Try this one...
http://zavlakas.googlepages.com/BackupHDDVD.zip
bourtzovlakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 01:58   #12  |  Link
CruNcher

muslix64 nice work, but you know as good as me and everyone else (including Hollywood and the Content Industry) here that without a Secured PC Platform it will allways be possible to catch the stuff somewhere. The major error by them was to bring it to the PC in the first place, that way it would have been more likely unbreakable and i don't remember they ever said it's unreakable either.
They wouldn't implement something as the revocation possibility if it was (in certain enviroments), and in terms of encryption their right AES-128 isn't (officialy) broken yet. I just waited for someone to announce this, hehe seems this time it's PowerDVD, last time it was Xings Player :d wonder how fast this will go arround for sure it allready reached Microsoft and Toshiba by now

Ah and a late Merry Christmas too everyone and thx for your efforts keeping the Fairuse Balance, god bless ya

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 28th December 2006 at 02:33.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 02:20   #13  |  Link
Adub

I like your journal. And good idea about the Xbox 360 drive.
Old 28th December 2006, 04:14   #14  |  Link
appleguru

Now just make me a mac version and I'll be happy (actually, it's java.. so I guess I need UDF 2.5 drivers for os x...)
appleguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 05:20   #15  |  Link
XStylus

Make sure you've taken appropriate measures to protect your identity, muslix64. You've done great work, and I'd hate to see you become another victim in the DRM battle.

IMO though, you should've sat on this fix a bit longer. HD-DVD is still in first gen with little market penetration, so it's not too late for them to tweak the HD-DVD spec. Or worse, the studios could jump ship and go Blu-Ray exclusively. Wait until one of the formats hit a penetration point to where there's no return, then drop the bomb.

But anyway, what's done is done, and I hope this fix stands the test of time. If so, I know what format I'm buying.

Time to tinker with Blu-Ray anyway though, just to make sure the studios don't have anywhere to run. I'd buy you a Blu-Ray drive for the effort if I had the money.

Last edited by XStylus; 28th December 2006 at 05:28. Reason: Fixed typos
XStylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 06:17   #16  |  Link
Deihmos

This is interesting. Was it wise to put this video on youyube? How long would it take for a law suit to be filed? I totally agree with XStylus..this could cause many studios to jump ship from HD DVD and sign up for blu ray as it has two layers of protection. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Deihmos; 28th December 2006 at 06:21.
Deihmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 06:22   #17  |  Link
djdafreund

Hey thanks SO much muslix64!!!!!! My friend just bought an XBOX HD-DVD drive yesterday when i was over there, and watched some 'Full Metal Jacket' and some 'King Kong'. THe Fullmetal Jacket wasn't so much WOW as it IS an old movie (Albiet a really good one!)
But he had the original dvd to compare, and still see a nice difference in quality either way. The King Kong was much better of course, Kongs hairs blowing in different directions, so sharp in detail.
I was just telling him yesterday while messing around with things, "I betcha someone will crack it and make it possible to copy it pretty soon already." Boy, your fast though!!!!!!!!!

Thankx SOOOO much, as i might be getting one soon myself now after seeing the quality of them, and i get HD-DVD's through work and such. Can't wait for the Jan. 2nd version!!!

Thanks for the hint at the end of the video ;-)
djdafreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 06:24   #18  |  Link
Deihmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin7777 View Post
supposedly the decryption keys come off the disk. well actually they are encrypted, but when played the keys are decrypted, the rest is kind of left a mystery by the author. Let's see what happens on January 2nd.
I think he gets the keys from powerDVD. I am sure they will get some heat because of this.
Deihmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 06:30   #19  |  Link
hajj_3

Yes, protect your identity and IP. use proxies, firewalls etc etc.

dont release loads of versions, wait until your next version you release is perfect. the less releases the less likely you will be caught, we dont want you being sued for $10m.

Keep up the great work, i wouldnt have shared the source code just yet as they can change the code in future players and discs to stop this. i would have just created the code and then in 6 months release the code when hd-dvd players are more standard and more titles are out.

I'd delete the link to the sourcecode, ask people to stop sharing it and just release the executable for the time being we want as many hd-dvd's ripped and put out by the scene as possible.

please can you show some screenshots off the directories as your video showed a movie file that was about 4gb, unless its really short like a "making of" then surely a movie would be 10gb+.

this guy has done some serious coding!!! even the documentation is nice!

I could see hd-dvd getting hacked to death like the 360 firmware, once the hack has been released into the wild load of others will disect and improve it, this could be the next smartripper! hope slysoft anydvd incorporates some of this

thanks alot, keep up the FANTASTIC WORK!!!

Last edited by hajj_3; 28th December 2006 at 06:44.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 06:47   #20  |  Link
Devinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStylus View Post
Make sure you've taken appropriate measures to protect your identity, muslix64.

I agree. Not only would the people behind draconian copy protection BS sue you, they would disapeer you if they thought they could get away with it.
Devinator is offline   Reply With Quote