Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 22nd December 2001, 04:53   #1  |  Link
Smonkey

Heads up!

Just wanted to make everyone aware that this site:

http://www.cd-recordable.com/

Sells DVD-Rs for $2.95 and Double sided DVD-Rs for $4.95. I have read good things about these disks at AVScience. From what I read the disks will burn at 2x with no problems. I just placed an order today.

-Smonkey

P.S. I don't work for them just a customer.
Smonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 05:25   #2  |  Link
WZ_Man

I have been burning on these discs for a few days now, they seem like pretty good DVDs

They use a purple dye and have a weird speckled coating on top..

I still cannot get my Pioneer A03 to burn at 2x.. it says it is, but if you look at it, it still takes just as long as 1x

anyone have any suggestions? I have tried quite a few different software packages.

Thanks,

-WZ
WZ_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 09:27   #3  |  Link
MickeyNBK

WZ_Man, did you have yours shipped ground? I ordered some from them last Friday at 12 am, the charge hit my card on Monday and I still don't have any. How long did yours take to arrive?

Thanks
MickeyNBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 17:03   #4  |  Link
WZ_Man

Actually... I preordered mine on Nov 16th. I got these Last Wed. They charged my card two weeks before they shipped, which made me think they were shady, but I they sent them out to me free next day.

I can only imagine how many orders they had. So, I am sure you will get them in the next couple weeks. They are worth the wait.

WZ
Old 23rd December 2001, 01:24   #5  |  Link
MickeyNBK

Uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhgggg, damn I'm out of DVD-Rs and I'm jonesing for a fix lol.
Old 23rd December 2001, 21:33   #6  |  Link
Nevada426

Do these DVD-R's come in jewel cases?
Nevada426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2001, 02:02   #7  |  Link
WZ_Man

No they don't

WZ
Old 24th December 2001, 06:37   #8  |  Link
troyboy

I pre-ordered these at the end of November and they arrived about a week and a half later. Just e-mail and they will give you an E.T.A. I'm going to order more. Really good DVD-R's for the price.
B.T.W. does anyone know if it is allright to put lables on DVD-R's? I've heard that it not good and also that it won't hurt anything.
troyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2001, 06:55   #9  |  Link
WZ_Man

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by troyboy
I pre-ordered these at the end of November and they arrived about a week and a half later. Just e-mail and they will give you an E.T.A. I'm going to order more. Really good DVD-R's for the price.
B.T.W. does anyone know if it is allright to put lables on DVD-R's? I've heard that it not good and also that it won't hurt anything.
Why wouldn't it be a good idea to put labels on them?

-WZ
Old 24th December 2001, 07:05   #10  |  Link
troyboy

Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by WZ_Man

Why wouldn't it be a good idea to put labels on them?

-WZ
Read something at another forum about the laser not being able to read properly with a label on it. Seems like it would be alright to do it but since I'm new to the DVD burning thing I wanted a second opinion.
troyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2001, 07:11   #11  |  Link
WZ_Man

I have been putting labels on mine. I have always found, especially with cheap cdrs, that labels increase the laser pickup of the discs...

-WZ
Old 26th December 2001, 18:42   #12  |  Link
Smonkey

I think the no label thing came from ps2 backups, putting labels on ps2 backup dvds caused them not to work for many people.

-Smonkey
Smonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2001, 16:28   #13  |  Link
Chumboy

have put labels on 10 discs now and no problemo.
make sure you get good labels that won't peel off due to your dvd players heat output.
Chumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2001, 08:13   #14  |  Link
t0lik

I ordered mine Nov 29th, got my credit card charged on Dec 4th, and got the DVD-Rs today, Dec 27th. Yeah, it's kinda long time, and billing before shipping is "strange" at least, but I got them nevertheless. Btw, they came in clear jewel cases. Haven't tried burn on them just yet, still have a few Apple DVD-R from Fry's ($29.95 5-pack) lying around.
t0lik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2002, 16:35   #15  |  Link
MickeyNBK

I received mine yesterday. I tested them and they play fine on my Malata (multi region player) but my Panasonic SC-DK1(that has never had a problem recognizing DVD-R only DVD-RW) will not read them at all. Plus the top of the disc has a weird look to it.

Burner: Pioneer A03
Firmware revision: 1.55 then upgraded to 1.65
Software: PrasiPrimo DVD and burned one with RecordNow Max 3.01
Processor: PIII 733
Ram: 512mb
Old 2nd January 2002, 11:13   #16  |  Link
sundance

Reasonable price for DVD-Rs but:

INTERNATIONAL ORDERS - We only ship from this on-line order system to customers in North America. International orders from other continents must contact our bulk sales desk by fax 1+ 203-744-8444. There is a minimum order to these continents of 1,000 discs.

So, is there an alternative to non US customers?

sundance
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2002, 19:03   #17  |  Link
jdobbs

Got Mine...

I ordered mine from www.cd-recordable.com on Monday afternoon (New Year's eve) and got them today (Thursday, the 3rd of Jan). They apparently have them in stock for shipping now. I went over $100 so the shipping was free. It beats the $7.99 they want locally for blank CD-Rs...
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2002, 19:13   #18  |  Link
jdobbs

Label Problems

Also wanted to point out, I haven't tried labels on this brand, but I killed a previous DVD-R by sticking a label on it. It worked fine... I labeled it... it failed. I used a razorblade and some vegetable oil and removed the label --- it worked fine again. Don't know why, but do know the label caused the problem (at least on my APEX 660 with a particular generic brand).
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2002, 08:53   #19  |  Link
1DREAMER

Re: Burning

Why arnt you using Primodvd 2.0 to burn instead of Record now ?? Are not they both burning software ?? I had trouble burning using Nero, but when i use primo burns fine and works on my 2 stand alones as well as my AO3. If you look at the boards, DERROW has kindly made available yhe procedure and picturers showing how to. I dont rem the link . but found it looking around . If you cannot find , e mail me and i will try to give step by step as i know. LMK

Quote:
Originally posted by MickeyNBK
I received mine yesterday. I tested them and they play fine on my Malata (multi region player) but my Panasonic SC-DK1(that has never had a problem recognizing DVD-R only DVD-RW) will not read them at all. Plus the top of the disc has a weird look to it.

Burner: Pioneer A03
Firmware revision: 1.55 then upgraded to 1.65
Software: PrasiPrimo DVD and burned one with RecordNow Max 3.01
Processor: PIII 733
Ram: 512mb
Old 10th January 2002, 17:36   #20  |  Link
ttyboy

Problems with $2.95 DVD-R from RecordableM edia

I have purchased some of the as well. I originally used then on my Panasonic DMR-E20 DVD Recorder. They work great until the end of the disk, about 80-90% through my video freezes or bad pixellization. Upon inspecting the dvd-r's closely, I see small dots that are like the laser missed for a second when burning. So, I decided to try them on my Pioneer DVR-A03, seem to have the same problems. Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
ttyboy is offline   Reply With Quote