Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 15th December 2001, 20:37   #1  |  Link
Ben

Commentary tracks - settings+problem

What settings do people use for commentary tracks? I've just found Zoom Player which is the first player I like that supports multiple audio streams, so I've started to include commentary tracks.

I started using --preset voice which gave very good results and a low filesize, but when played in Zoom Player it goes doublespeed(ish) when I play it with the commentary stream. So I had to use --resample 44.1 to get around this, which leads to higher bitrates with worse quality.

Does this happen to everyone? And what settings do everyone else use?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2001, 21:19   #2  |  Link
Beave

I use -mm --voice -v --vbr-mtrh -V 9 --lowpass 14 --resample 32 --athtype 3 for the commentary. I have around 48kbit with that and it sound very good. You can also use divxaudio for that with 20 kbit, which sounds much worse.

What do you mean by its the first player? Most divx player support it I know. Like Microdvd, PowerDivX, BSPlayer, Sasami2k and even WMP with Graphedit or mmswitch.
Beave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2001, 21:39   #3  |  Link
wmansir

I usually use CBR for commentrary tracks since some programs (like microdvd player) don't keep sync with vbr/abr secondary audio. Of course always use a seperate track, so it may not happen with interleaved material.

For 1cd rips I use mono 32kbps with experimental PSY tunings. I know it sounds like crap sometimes, and you loose stereo sound, but it's 1 cd. For two CD I use stereo 64kbps w/ exp PSY. Of course there are exceptions, but since I don't listen to the commentary track that often and they are mostly voice, I don't waste too many bits on them.
wmansir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2001, 00:24   #4  |  Link
Ben

Beave, yeah I know it's not the first to support multiple streams, just that it's the first that I like that does. All the others have seemed a bit disjointed and, well, crap compared to WMP.

Zoom Player's got all I want, plus many nice features, like the playback rate, multiple streams (big pluspoint) and TV out features.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote