Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 15th November 2009, 22:22   #1041  |  Link
Abradoks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruggle View Post
for any further comparisons you should turn on block switching in Aften since DD does block switching by default.
It was turned on for aften_spec and aften_wide in the first comparison I have posted.
And thank you for your work on aften. I hope we'll see even better results than DD has.
Abradoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 03:39   #1042  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL
 
Blue_MiSfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,290
How would you clever AC3 encoding folks suggest maximizing the quality of 384kbps AC3 for 3/2 + LFE encoding?

I'm currently using EncWAVtoAC3 4.2, without any modifications to the advanced parameters.

~MiSfit
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 04:30   #1043  |  Link
jruggle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
How would you clever AC3 encoding folks suggest maximizing the quality of 384kbps AC3 for 3/2 + LFE encoding?

I'm currently using EncWAVtoAC3 4.2, without any modifications to the advanced parameters.
aften -b 384 -exps 32 -s 1 -bwfilter 1

Also, if you can increase the -w parameter without quality going below q=240 then that would be good. The -w -2 (variable bandwidth) option is too experimental to be used generally, but doing a test run with it can give you a good idea of how much you can increase the bandwidth without affecting quality too badly.
jruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 08:12   #1044  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL
 
Blue_MiSfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,290
Thanks, jruggle.

I have two different Dolby encoding systems (Media Encoder Server for Mac, and a DP600 encoder server), and will be comparing the quality of both vanilla AC3 and E-AC3. What software was being used earlier in the thread to generate those pretty spectrographs?

~MiSfit
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 08:13   #1045  |  Link
nurbs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,455
Spectrographs don't tell you anything about the quality.
nurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 10:35   #1046  |  Link
tebasuna51
Moderator
 
tebasuna51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruggle View Post
aften -b 384 -exps 32 -s 1 -bwfilter 1

Also, if you can increase the -w parameter without quality going below q=240 then that would be good. The -w -2 (variable bandwidth) option is too experimental to be used generally, but doing a test run with it can give you a good idea of how much you can increase the bandwidth without affecting quality too badly.
The same parameters are recommended when use the max bitrate 640 Kb/s?

Maybe the bwfilter is not necesary when use max banwidth.
__________________
BeHappy, AviSynth audio transcoder, in Doom9 forums. NicAudio, BassAudio, audio decoders.
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:47   #1047  |  Link
wisodev
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 134
New Aften build is available : http://code.google.com/p/wavtoac3encoder/downloads/list
wisodev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:58   #1048  |  Link
TFM_TheMask
Registered User
 
TFM_TheMask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisodev View Post
Can you tell us what has changed in this new version?
__________________
The Mask
Developer of The FilmMachine
An easy to use, wizard-like, AVI/MP4/MOV/RMVB/MKV to DVD conversion utility
TFM_TheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 22:18   #1049  |  Link
Yobbo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 145
Wisodev, can you just drag & drop these new libaften.dll's over the existing dll's in your Wav to AC3 Encoder? Will you be updating the Encoder soon?
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 00:34   #1050  |  Link
wisodev
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
Wisodev, can you just drag & drop these new libaften.dll's over the existing dll's in your Wav to AC3 Encoder? Will you be updating the Encoder soon?
New version of WAV to AC3 Encoder is available for download , version 4.3 includes libaften.dll version from 20091226 (Git master head snapshot).
http://code.google.com/p/wavtoac3encoder/downloads/list
wisodev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 01:57   #1051  |  Link
tebasuna51
Moderator
 
tebasuna51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 5,188
Thanks wisodev.

There are some channel coupling improvement in last Aften version?
__________________
BeHappy, AviSynth audio transcoder, in Doom9 forums. NicAudio, BassAudio, audio decoders.
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 02:29   #1052  |  Link
jruggle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Thanks wisodev.

There are some channel coupling improvement in last Aften version?
There really have not been many changes in a while. Just some tweaks to the exponent strategy decision. There were a few code structure changes in preparation for channel coupling though. And it looks like Prakash has added Windows x64 support while I was away for Christmas.
jruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 20:53   #1053  |  Link
TFM_TheMask
Registered User
 
TFM_TheMask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisodev View Post
New version of WAV to AC3 Encoder is available for download , version 4.3 includes libaften.dll version from 20091226 (Git master head snapshot).
http://code.google.com/p/wavtoac3encoder/downloads/list
Isn't it possible to only get 2 aften libraries which can detect the PC's SIMD capabilities (SSE, SSE2, SSE3, MMX). So only libaften_x86.dll and libaften_x64.dll and not 6 or more different libraries?

So what I mean is a compiled libaften library with all SIMD instructions in it and it checks which instructions it can use depending on a PC's capabilities.
__________________
The Mask
Developer of The FilmMachine
An easy to use, wizard-like, AVI/MP4/MOV/RMVB/MKV to DVD conversion utility
TFM_TheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 21:21   #1054  |  Link
wisodev
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM_TheMask View Post
Isn't it possible to only get 2 aften libraries which can detect the PC's SIMD capabilities (SSE, SSE2, SSE3, MMX). So only libaften_x86.dll and libaften_x64.dll and not 6 or more different libraries?

So what I mean is a compiled libaften library with all SIMD instructions in it and it checks which instructions it can use depending on a PC's capabilities.
All my libaften.dll builds have enabled ALL Aften SIMD optimizations (if your hardware supports specific SIMD it is enabled on runtime). But additionally the MMX, SSE, SSE2, etc. builds have extra optimization made by Intel C++ Compiler and REQUIRE presence of SIMD support in hardware (else you can expect crushes), so you just can use default builds: libaftendll_x86 and libaftendll_AMD64 most of the time.
wisodev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 21:24   #1055  |  Link
TFM_TheMask
Registered User
 
TFM_TheMask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisodev View Post
All my libaften.dll builds have enabled ALL Aften SIMD optimizations (if your hardware supports specific SIMD it is enabled on runtime). But additionally the MMX, SSE, SSE2, etc. builds have extra optimization made by Intel C++ Compiler and REQUIRE presence of SIMD support in hardware (else you can expect crushes), so you just can use default builds: libaftendll_x86 and libaftendll_AMD64 most of the time.
Ok thanks, will do that. One little question, the libaftendll_AMD64 is only for AMD x64 processors or also Intel x64 processors?
__________________
The Mask
Developer of The FilmMachine
An easy to use, wizard-like, AVI/MP4/MOV/RMVB/MKV to DVD conversion utility
TFM_TheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 22:18   #1056  |  Link
wisodev
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM_TheMask View Post
Ok thanks, will do that. One little question, the libaftendll_AMD64 is only for AMD x64 processors or also Intel x64 processors?
It's AMD and Intel CPU compatible (actually it's compiled using Intel C++ Compiler).
wisodev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 22:35   #1057  |  Link
TFM_TheMask
Registered User
 
TFM_TheMask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisodev View Post
It's AMD and Intel CPU compatible (actually it's compiled using Intel C++ Compiler).
Better change the name to x64 instead of AMD64.

__________________
The Mask
Developer of The FilmMachine
An easy to use, wizard-like, AVI/MP4/MOV/RMVB/MKV to DVD conversion utility
TFM_TheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:37   #1058  |  Link
raquete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisodev View Post
New version of WAV to AC3 Encoder is available for download , version 4.3 includes libaften.dll version from 20091226 (Git master head snapshot).
http://code.google.com/p/wavtoac3encoder/downloads/list
thank you so much wisodev!
(no more 'old problems' running Win2000, changing to Win7)

veru very Happy New year!
__________________
search raquete
raquete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 07:55   #1059  |  Link
MrVideo
Registered User
 
MrVideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM_TheMask View Post
Better change the name to x64 instead of AMD64.
Ya, had me confused. I downloaded the AMD64 versions, only to discover that it is for 64bit OSs. I have the AMD64 dual core, but run 32bit OS.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 08:12   #1060  |  Link
MrVideo
Registered User
 
MrVideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,148
Which x86 version to use?

I've been using an older version of the files found in the aften_x86 directory.

Which is better, to use the files in the aften_x86 directory, or the files in the libaftendll_x86 directory?

If the libaftendll_x86 contents are used, I'm going to assume that they are placed in the same directory as I've previously done with the aften_x86 contents.

There was nothing in the top level readme file about which should be used, and why.

Thanks.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.