Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 5th January 2006, 12:15   #1  |  Link
berrinam

MeGUI Feature Request Thread

This thread is a place for people to request features for MeGUI, and this post will keep track of what has been requested. Together with the MeGUI Bug-Report Thread, this can serve as a TODO list for the developers.

Before posting
Please keep in mind that the developers contribute to MeGUI in their free time, and get no money out of doing so. There must be no expectation that what you request here will ever be implemented in MeGUI -- it is completely up to the discretion of the developers.

If you want to see something in MeGUI, then the easier you make it for the devs, the more likely it is to be implemented. Be descriptive about what you want, and explain why it would be useful.

Remember to check a build from the latest series (currently 0.2.3.2040 or later) to see if it is already implemented. Also check the list here to see whether it has already been suggested.

Requested features / todo list from builds 0.2.3.2040 or later
Features implemented in the last version have been removed from this list to save space. Always check a build from the newest series (currently 0.2.3.2040 or later) before asking for a feature, to see if it has already been implemented.
Orange means it is pending Doom9's approval
Red means it has been rejected
Blue means it has been accepted and no-one is working on it
Green means it has been completed
Allow the sure to set what priority the Source Detector runs in
Description: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...178#post795178

Rearrange the long dialogs -- AviSynth creator, Settings
Description: Make them tabbed (preferably with Basic/Advanced, or some other structure) to make them less overwhelming, and also so that they can fit on a lower-resolution screen.

Add more input filetypes
Description: Almost all files can be loaded into AviSynth via DirectShowSource. For completeness, it would be useful to allow this in the AviSynth Script Creator

Add a 'clear log' functionality
Description: Be able to clear the log.

Have a more comprehensive deletion of temporary files
Description: Only some temporary files are deleted (namely, the ones which are listed as output files of linked jobs). Richard Berg posted a list of what's missing here

Be able to choose the sampling rate for audio
Description: See quake74's post

Make control over 2pass/1pass with crf x264 more versatile
Description: See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...210#post795210

Commandline support for MeGUI
Description: See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...747#post799747

Video cutting in the AviSynth creator for removal of ads, etc
Description: Since video and audio can be done through AviSynth cutting can be completely precise. Use should be done using the trim statement.

change audio codec choice back to two and put the encoder choice in the settings instead
Description: N/A
Status : No-one is working on it, on hold until audio has been redone

Mapping of audio streams for *.ts files
Description: In a transport stream, a PID identifies a stream (audio or video), just like you have substream IDs in a VOB. So, if you have your TS, you need to know which PIDs are used for your audio and video in order to select them. It gets even more interesting if you've been recording the data from an entire transponder.. then you have multiple TV channels that you need to differentiate in between.

Resolve clashes between hotkeys
Description: See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...292#post770292

MeGUI shows BeSweet commandlines when processing an AviSynth audio encode

Add support for the -sbr or -sbrx tags in mp4box commandline
Description: Add a checkbox in MeGUI MP4 Muxer which says something like "AAC is SBR", so that the audio information is correctly stored in MP4.
Status : Nobody is working on it (what happened to godhead?)

Fix up cropping in AviSynth Script Creator, and enable ColorMatrix() by default on d2v sources, since it causes no harm
Description: See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...400#post806400

Automatic running of atomchanger

Autoonlineupdate for all external Programs like in StaxRip
Description: The above description is pretty obvious. However, this feature requires a webspace containing information about the required versions and links to the download files. I'm not sure if the SourceForge Terms of Service allow this for Project Web (ie I'm not sure if the required webspace can be hosted by SourceForge). A (perhaps) useful link on doing this is here

Make more use of "Don't show me this again" in dialogs.
Description: See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...750#post772750
Status: Easy to do now. Use the DialogManager class, and look at the other examples there.

Replace English language names with native language names

Add support for xvid_encraw
Description: almost complete (the missing parts concern bitrate calculation and container issues)

Add support for xvid avc

Add support for Ogg Vorbis encoding
Description: It's the only good free low bitrate codec at the moment (FAAC isn't tuned and afaik generally worse than Vorbis and the Nero AAC codec isn't free. Itunes AAC codec is for free and quite good imho but not very well supported via cli.). The obvious drawback: You can only sanely use it in mkv.
Status : The audio part is currently frozen pending a redesign/move to AviSynth.

More than two audio/subtitle tracks
Status : I have to take the 80/20 rule here.. 2 audio and 5 subtitle track should cover most needs. We could eventually talk about the muxer itself, but not the encoding part of the GUI.

Make the Status window a child of the main MeGUI window so there's only one item in the taskbar
Status : Refused - request doesn't make sense from a design point. If it bothers many people the "show in taskbar" flag can be removed from the window.. there's no reason to introduce a window dependency. And there's always the possibility to hide the progress window, as well as to never have it show up when encoding starts in the first place.

Add integration of DVDDecrypter into MeGUI
Description: See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...759#post772759
Status: This would not nearly come close to a comprehensive solution (megui supports tons of inputs) and it's better if users learn how to do this on their own. AutoGK is popular without this as well..

Some form of AviSynth script creation for audio, to allow the user control over advanced processing (and trimming)
Description: First we need to find out whether having audio processing in a video script slows down video encoding and vice versa. Then, we could either add audio input to the AviSynth Script Creator, or we could creat a separate script creator for audio. Although the current audio encoding system is able to add some audio processing, such as channel mixing, DRC and delay correction, it doesn't advanced processing, or trimming (which the video Avs creator also doesn't at the moment)
Status: Rejected by Doom9 -- it's less hassle to keep the scripts separated.

Last edited by berrinam; 14th April 2006 at 22:13.
Old 5th January 2006, 15:24   #2  |  Link
kotrtim

Track Type Info
201 video MPEG-4 Adv Simple@L5, 5625.620 secs, 538 kbps, 720x480 @ 23.9758
46 fps
101 audio MPEG-4 AAC LC, 5625.642 secs, 49 kbps, 24000 Hz
2 od Object Descriptors
1 scene BIFS

This is what mp4info.exe (mpeg4ip) show..... the audio is actually HE-AAC 49 kbps 48000 Hz with Parametric Stereo

My only request is to add a checkbox in MeGUI MP4 Muxer
something like "AAC is SBR" so that the audio information is correctly stored in MP4
Old 5th January 2006, 21:33   #3  |  Link
berrinam

Added to the list.
Old 5th January 2006, 21:34   #4  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

naturally, that flag should be automatically set in auto mode and one click mode
Old 5th January 2006, 21:42   #5  |  Link
berrinam

Of course.
Old 5th January 2006, 22:27   #6  |  Link
charleski

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
Redo tri-state section
Description: redo the whole x264 tri-state section to have one big method that handles activation/deactivation for each GUI element. That method will be called by showCommandline. In addition, make it so that showCommandline is only triggered once the GUI is fully created and the entire settings have been loaded.
This has been done a while ago

Quote:
move shutdown checkbox from settings to queue tab
Description: Could perhaps the "shutdown when finished" tick box be moved out of the settings onto the queue tab. I keep forgetting to disable it again and will just be doing a simple mux, only for the computer to then shutdown!
Done. As an alternative, I added an 'Add Shutdown' button to the Queue tab which will add a Shutdown job. I also implemented a new class of job: SystemJob, which could possibly be used for other system-related tasks in future.
Old 5th January 2006, 22:56   #7  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

what if you never get to that job? It's been a while for me so I'm not sure there's a scenario where we could end up with that, but I'm no fan of shutdown jobs.

And as far as hide/close goes.. it's basically a dialog window and dialog windows are not meant to close the main program. And MeGUI's example for the whole queue and progress report thing, VDub, doesn't do it either. Unless you're a programmer (we know we're only hiding it), X means close the window. Only if you press the X in the main window does it signify close the program.. and we do have a confirmation dialog there already.
Old 5th January 2006, 23:19   #8  |  Link
charleski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
what if you never get to that job? It's been a while for me so I'm not sure there's a scenario where we could end up with that, but I'm no fan of shutdown jobs.
The main reason I implemented it as a job was that the person who suggested the change noted that his real problem was that sometimes he wanted the program to shutdown after encoding, and sometimes he didn't. Doing it this way means there's a prominent SHUTDOWN label sitting at the end of the job queue, which makes it clear what's happening, rather than a checkbox setting which can be missed. I thought this was a better way of doing things for such an important system event.
Old 5th January 2006, 23:29   #9  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well.. I just found the problem case: You're setting up multiple movies for encoding in one click mode. So you end up having a bunch of one click jobs, then you add the shutdown job, and then you start. After indexing, MeGUI will write the jobs at the end of the queue.. then all other movies will be indexed, and then the system will shut down.. without encoding ever having been done. Previously, all movies would be encoded and only then would the system shut down. I agree that the way the one click mode adds jobs isn't ideal, but changing that touches the very core of MeGUI.. it's not something you can just whip up in a few hours and then never have to worry about it anymore.. if that's ever to be changed, whoever does it needs to know all the internal working of MeGUI quite well.. so I guess I would be the most obvious choice but I have other priorities. With that in mind, I strongly suggest just moving the checkbox to the queue, and having an option in the one click window that will set that checkbox (since it could be that you'll start encoding right away without having to go to the queue and manually start the queue). Doing it that way also means you never have to actually go to th e queue tab (we could add another one to the auto encoder form to set the flag as well).. all the more practical and it does what you want in all cases. The request came because it's admittedly cumbersome to go to the settings.. but if you have it where you start the jobs, that's even more convenient than having it in the queue tab.
Old 6th January 2006, 00:58   #10  |  Link
charleski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
well.. I just found the problem case: You're setting up multiple movies for encoding in one click mode. So you end up having a bunch of one click jobs, then you add the shutdown job, and then you start. After indexing, MeGUI will write the jobs at the end of the queue.. then all other movies will be indexed, and then the system will shut down.. without encoding ever having been done. Previously, all movies would be encoded and only then would the system shut down.
Hmm, yeah, looking at the DGIndexPostProcessing code I see what you mean, it would require a fair amount of special case control.
We can change it back to a checkbox causing it to shutdown on idle, but my main problem is a usability one.
Checkboxes and other generic settings GUI elements are 'fire-and-forget' - you set the program up the way you want it, then you use it from day to day with having to bother to check them. It's not the best GUI element to use for something you might use on one occasion but not another, especially when it controls a system-critical event like a shutdown (if that's something you always want it's fine, however). Poor GUI design like this has tripped me up on other programs and I was trying to avoid it. It's possible to add an element that will make the current behaviour highly visible though.
Old 6th January 2006, 01:33   #11  |  Link
berrinam

Maybe it would be better to continue this discussion on the dev thread, so that each of the threads are kept to the purpose they are intended for.
Old 6th January 2006, 01:45   #12  |  Link
Romario

Location: Qetchua mountains in Peru, and Klingon battlecruiser D'Mar
Feature request: new and better Adaptive quantization patch

Also, SSE2 and SSE3 heavy optimization will be very nice.
Old 6th January 2006, 02:11   #13  |  Link
jmk

as far as i understand it, optimizations should be done in the x264 code. its probably most effective there. i don't know if any optimizations in megui would really result in faster encoding. but, i might be wrong of course

jmk
Old 6th January 2006, 03:30   #14  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Proposal: add a checkbox next to Video's Queue to render out slow/complex AVS scripts before encoding. This would require:
- a new job type that wraps avs2avi
- writing out another AVS file [ AviSource("avs2avi-output.avi") ]
- passing that AVS file to the regular videoencoder logic
- linking the avs2avi job to the job(s) generated by the videoencoder

Proposal: ability to retry an aborted job. This is particularly needed with Mux jobs, because when you click Load, your only choice is to Update the aborted job; no way to Queue another one.
Old 6th January 2006, 05:17   #15  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk
as far as i understand it, optimizations should be done in the x264 code. its probably most effective there. i don't know if any optimizations in megui would really result in faster encoding. but, i might be wrong of course

jmk
right. and even adaptive quant belongs to x264.
Old 6th January 2006, 05:23   #16  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Berg
Proposal: add a checkbox next to Video's Queue to render out slow/complex AVS scripts before encoding. This would require:
- a new job type that wraps avs2avi
- writing out another AVS file [ AviSource("avs2avi-output.avi") ]
- passing that AVS file to the regular videoencoder logic
- linking the avs2avi job to the job(s) generated by the videoencoder
This sort of thing has been requested before, using mencoder's ffvhuff (lossless) encoding. I'm not familiar with avs2avi. Does this simply output uncompressed avis, or what does it do?

Quote:
Proposal: ability to retry an aborted job. This is particularly needed with Mux jobs, because when you click Load, your only choice is to Update the aborted job; no way to Queue another one.
From what you are saying, I think what you want can be accomplished by double-clicking on the job. This will cycle through the various possible statuses, going from aborted, to postponed or waiting (when it's on waiting, you can run it again)
Old 6th January 2006, 05:29   #17  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Quote:
This sort of thing has been requested before, using mencoder's ffvhuff (lossless) encoding. I'm not familiar with avs2avi. Does this simply output uncompressed avis, or what does it do?
That's about right. http://www.avs2avi.org

I use ffdshow's vfw encoder to output huffyuy2 or huffyv12 as appropriate. Maybe mencoder would be easier.

Quote:
From what you are saying, I think what you want can be accomplished by double-clicking on the job. This will cycle through the various possible statuses, going from aborted, to postponed or waiting (when it's on waiting, you can run it again)
Aha! Thanks. This feature should be more discoverable -- a context menu, perhaps?
Old 6th January 2006, 05:35   #18  |  Link
berrinam

@Richard Berg: I've added this pre-rendering to the todo list. Could you look at what I've said and see if it's correct?
Old 6th January 2006, 06:06   #19  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Looks great, thanks. I'll try to tackle some of the easier to-dos this weekend in order to familiarize myself with the new MeGUI code (seems pretty different from last I looked, ~4 months ago).
Old 8th January 2006, 02:50   #20  |  Link
willie1

Request: Add a "just mux" feature for the audio similar to what Gordian Knot does. This would be useful for making multiple test clips for changing codec settings but using the same audio for all, or if the audio was created previously in another app. This is minor, but could save some hassle.
Closed Thread