Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > NLE - Non Linear Editing
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th January 2006, 13:55   #1  |  Link
djolepiv

microsoft dv vs mainconcept dv

im using premiere6.0 under win xp (fire wire for in/out from panasonic nv-gs75gc)
how to make mainconcept became default dv codec when "editing mode" settings is "dv playback". because i want to make prewiev files and export avis in mainconcept dv codec which is much better than microsoft dv...

im not sure that is possible to change dv codec for capture, but i need tips for making mainconcept dv default instead of microsoft dv.

thanx a lot!

Last edited by djolepiv; 19th January 2006 at 19:06.
djolepiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 18:01   #2  |  Link
defaulk9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djolepiv
im not shore that is possible to change dv codec for capture, but i need tips for making mainconcept dv default instead of microsoft dv.
With your setup, no, it is not possible to change dv codec for capture. You are actually using your camera's dv codec, since it is encoded when it is filmed

As far as making mainconcept the default codec, I would think that if you have the mainconcept codec installed, premiere is using it. Otherwise it would use the microsoft codec, which is what comes pre-installed.
defaulk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 20:00   #3  |  Link
djolepiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaulk9
As far as making mainconcept the default codec, I would think that if you have the mainconcept codec installed, premiere is using it. Otherwise it would use the microsoft codec, which is what comes pre-installed.
i have installed mainconcept but premiere use microsoft dv (in dv playback), that is the problem.
(comment: for dv edit in premiere we dont need to install any dv codec, because microsoft dv is allready supported in premiere without installation, but not like other codecs (panasonic dv, indeo, divx...)
we may have only one dv codec installed + microsoft (which is by default in dv playback settings in premiere).
-microdoft dv we cannot changing to other dv codec in 'dv playback'
-other dv codecs (in my case mainconcept dv) i can shoose in editing mode='microsoft avi' and then for compressor i can choose mainconcept dv - but in that case premiere srashed when i put something on timeline.

all i need is to find solution where premiere for 'dv playback' use mainconcept codec instead of microsoft. that mean to build previews and export avi in mainconcept...
so, im waiting for answer from people who have solved this problem.
i think the problem is deeply than simply install/uninstall codecs or settings in premiere. answer is maybe in editing some ini file in system or something in registry... i dont know (

Last edited by djolepiv; 4th January 2006 at 20:02.
Old 4th January 2006, 20:57   #4  |  Link
bigotti5
Spielberger

This workaround in this article will allow you to use the Main Concept codec

http://www.abcdv.com/article/articleview/10/1/13/
bigotti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 23:50   #5  |  Link
djolepiv

i tried and i cant remember but there was poor quality or crash premiere...
this is for win 2k, i have win xp.
maybe i should change os...
Old 5th January 2006, 00:01   #6  |  Link
djolepiv

i have one solution but its cost lot of time:
microsoft dv codec but without preview files, and when edit is finished export avi with frame server and compress in other software (mpeg2 or divx etc...)
i will try to find answer all over the net
Old 5th January 2006, 00:59   #7  |  Link
djolepiv

i have tested canopus dv and premiere doesn't crash any more (video for windows).
but, as i said, one more problem exist:
how to make canopus (or any other dv codec) became default dv codec when "editing mode" settings is "dv playback"?
Old 5th January 2006, 02:25   #8  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

I don't think there is a way. I believe "DV Playback" mode means Premiere will be using whatever it's been hardcoded to use.

In Premiere Pro MainConcept IS the default DV codec. Do you have an option of upgrading to Pro?
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2006, 03:20   #9  |  Link
djolepiv

thanx for information zambelli!
i will test!
Old 5th January 2006, 07:44   #10  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

"DV playback" uses (i think) the default directshow DV encoder. mainconcept's codec is Video-for-Windows, which means it can only be used in microsoft AVI mode.

also it means premiere will recompress everything when there's really no need to do so, whereas in "dv playback" mode it only recompresses edits that require rendering - wipes, fades, etc. cuts do not require any recompression.

you may be able to live with MS DV codec if all you're doing is cuts and very short fades. if you're re-rendering everything and exporting to a non-DV format, you should set premiere to microsoft avi mode and use mainconcept or cedocida (free) instead.

but unless you're exporting back to tape, it's best to work uncompressed (or huffyuv ) for everything until export - DV25 is just too heavily lossy to use as an intermediate format for serious video work. 2 or 3 generations and the video is trashed (the colour especially if you're in NTSC land).
Old 5th January 2006, 16:58   #11  |  Link
djolepiv

thank you for explain about dv

Last edited by djolepiv; 5th January 2006 at 17:03.
Old 8th January 2006, 00:07   #12  |  Link
Skelsgard
foobaring my ass off

There is a kinda f*****d up way of getting rid of M$ DV codec, by erasing the crap out of it in the registry.
find the "DV Video Encoder" and "DV Video Decoder" branches and just erase them. That will unregister the M$$$$$ DV codec and will use the next one available to handle DV. (To restore in case of need, then export the branches before deleting so that u can put the erased info back into the registry).
Won´t need to erase the actual file since the registry just won´t know that it could be using it.