Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd November 2005, 02:41   #1  |  Link
kumi
Straight to video

Is the Drop-Frame flag always constant across all GOPs?

When I flag a MPEG2 stream as drop-frame in pulldown.exe, it looks like all the GOP Video Packs' DF bits are set to 1. Likewise when I set to non-drop: all DF bits are set to 0.

Is it in the DVD-Video specifications that an MPEG2 stream must have drop-frame flag bits set to ALL 0 or ALL 1? i.e. no mixing of non-drop frame and drop frame between GOPs.
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 03:26   #2  |  Link
mpucoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumi
When I flag a MPEG2 stream as drop-frame in pulldown.exe, it looks like all the GOP Video Packs' DF bits are set to 1. Likewise when I set to non-drop: all DF bits are set to 0.
That's just the way the program works - any changes are applied to all occurences.
Quote:
Is it in the DVD-Video specifications that an MPEG2 stream must have drop-frame flag bits set to ALL 0 or ALL 1? i.e. no mixing of non-drop frame and drop frame between GOPs.
DVD-Video doesn't care at all about any information in the GOP header. Most authoring programs read only the first timecode, if any, in a video elementary stream. However, mixing the flag values within a segment is not allowed according to the mpeg specifications, and would make no sense as the flag affects the interpretation of the timecode.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2005, 05:25   #3  |  Link
kumi
Straight to video

Thanks mpucoder. I ask because I want a quick and easy way to find out if I need to set drop-frame for custom subtitles. So, am I right in assuming that if any GOP is set to drop-frame, I can safely set my subtitle authoring program to output drop-frame?

EDIT: nevermind.. I re-read your post, and the answer is yes

Last edited by kumi; 23rd November 2005 at 07:48.
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote