Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 6th November 2005, 17:35   #1  |  Link
Sakkeus

Plugin for winamp to use the ffdshow audio filter?

Referring to this http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...120#post734120 would it be possible? Btw ffdshow is great, been using the ffds video and audio decoders for ages !!!
Sakkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2005, 19:27   #2  |  Link
Dark_Angel_PT

TRy this one:

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138579
Dark_Angel_PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2005, 20:19   #3  |  Link
Sakkeus

Great but damn as it didn't work at all with ffdshow audio filter.. It was there and I tuned it long time but zero effect =/ .. That kind of plugin would be just the kind I would like to have =/..

Last edited by Sakkeus; 6th November 2005 at 20:24.
Old 7th November 2005, 03:53   #4  |  Link
gaekwad2

If you have a DirectShow decoder for the audio format you want to play, or if ffdshow can decode it try adding its extension to in_dshow's extension list.

Eg. for mp3 enable it in ffdshow's audio filter config, then in Winamp go to Preferences > Input, select Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder, configure, and add ;MP3 to the list. Next select the Nullsoft MPEG (Layer1-3 etc blah) decoder and remove it from its extension list.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2005, 21:44   #5  |  Link
Sakkeus

Didn't help, Winamp didn't play music at all. Btw I use Shibatch mpg123 plugin for mp3 files, better than default Winamp mp3 plugin. Tryed with several confs but didn't play the files =/.
Old 7th November 2005, 23:14   #6  |  Link
gaekwad2

Take a look at ffdshow's output settings, Winamp doesn't accept 32 bit sample format (though I think it's disabled by default anyway).

Other than that, no idea.

[ot]btw I'm using in_mpg123 as well, when I'm using Winamp and not foobar[/ot]
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2005, 00:34   #7  |  Link
Sakkeus

Now I got it to play the files but I must use this http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138579 AND the gaekwad2's advice. BUT I can't enable ffdshow as it does not become marked... So I don't know what the hell plays the file, and the ffdshow settings are not enabled as sound does not change when I tune them. Even if it worked there would be no use unless the ac3 rt encoding worked with ffdshow like it works with Zp... Hell, I suppose I must continue using Zp for background music.
Old 21st September 2006, 02:25   #8  |  Link
ffaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaekwad2 View Post
If you have a DirectShow decoder for the audio format you want to play, or if ffdshow can decode it try adding its extension to in_dshow's extension list.

Eg. for mp3 enable it in ffdshow's audio filter config, then in Winamp go to Preferences > Input, select Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder, configure, and add ;MP3 to the list. Next select the Nullsoft MPEG (Layer1-3 etc blah) decoder and remove it from its extension list.
dude, you rock. i spent a good hour searching the internet before finding this post. i don't know why this explanation isn't posted all over the place. it's crazy useful. thanks a million!
ffaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 08:29   #9  |  Link
El Bastardo

How to properly play back stereo MP3 in 7.1 with winamp?

Hello there. I want to revive this thread because I have the same problems and wishes.
I wish to play back stereo MP3s in 7.1 (pseudo) surround sound via Winamp.

I know the problem is Winamp (resp. the playback plugin).
I configured the mixer in ffdshow with a custom matrix (as descriped here) and it works with videos and MP3 in other players (WMP or Zoom Player).
Only Winamp is balky.

I tried to change the input plugin as escribed here from the default one to the direct show one.
THe change is successful but the plugin does not "communicate" well with ffdshow because I get a wrong output:

Both front play back the right way but back right comes out of side left and everything else is also mixed up.

The settings in the ffdshow mixer ARE CORRECT because it works with other players.

I also tried the "Shibatch mpg123" plugin but AFAI understand I can either use the direct show plugin OR the Shibatch mpg123 for inputting so how to use the Shibatch mpg123 with ffdshow??

So the bottom line NOTHING works properly at the moment!!
Old 17th June 2008, 08:10   #10  |  Link
El Bastardo

So do I have to assume that (strangely) "nobody" uses the "most famous audio player" and is freak enough to want to accomplish the thing I am trying to do.

If just this is not possible why did the industry put out 7.1 speaker sets anyway?!
Old 22nd June 2008, 19:11   #11  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

You could try creating a profile in ffdshow for just winamp that uses different mixer settings.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 13:52   #12  |  Link
El Bastardo

Hehe that was the first thing I thought of. The problem is: Winamp does NOT use ffdshow to encode MP3s.

So the question is: How to order WInamp to use ffdshow?? - I tried changing the input plugins in Winamp but ffdshow is not triggered while playing MP3s via Winamp!!
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:06   #13  |  Link
J_Darnley

Disable support for MP3 in in_mp3 by removing MP3 from the extension list in the in_mp3 config. Then add MP3 to the list of extensions for in_dshow.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 08:13   #14  |  Link
El Bastardo

Thanks for the tipps but unfortunately I already had the same ideas. THe last one from "J_Darnley" also is a good one... but to no avail.

When I give Winamp the order to open *.mp3 extensions with its internal directshow plugin and change settings in the ffdshow custom matrix settings things change BUT not the way they should be.
SO for example I put in to put out the front left channel via the side left speaker (custom matrox one "1" at the right position) and the sound comes out of back right and so on.

THe custom matrix works FINE with other software like the Zoom Player even WMP works JUST Winamp seems to miscommunicate.

Isn't there another way maybe an input plugin for winamp that can play back mp3 and unse the ffdshow settings (with directshow or whatever main thing it works)?!
Old 25th June 2008, 13:35   #15  |  Link
clsid

With the Presets functionality of ffdshow you should be able to create a preset that will only load when Winamp is used. Combine that with a custom matrix specially tweaked for Winamp.
Old 25th June 2008, 15:11   #16  |  Link
El Bastardo

OK I tried that. A new preset with the condition to load on winamp.exe detection.

But the same problem: Winamp does not stick to the custom matrix I defined.
It's not my fault because with another preset for my Zoom Player every speaker works as expected (as I defined) just winamp messes with it.
So my guess would be either the communication between the Winamp plugin for directshow and ffdshow does not work or winamp does not understand the custom matrix settings.

That's why I'm asking if there is another plugin out there for winamp (input plugin) to encode MP3s and use ffdshow (without errors).

I know these are very specific questions and problems but this is a "geek's forum" and maybe someone has similar problems.

I still think it's not the strangest thing to want to listen to stereo MP3s with all of your 8 speakers (paid enough for them ^_^)!!
Old 25th June 2008, 17:02   #17  |  Link
clsid

Winamp does not do anything with the matrix. ffdshow takes the input that it gets from the Winamp plugin, decodes it, applies the mixing matrix (and possibly other filters), and then outputs the decoded audio back to the Winamp plugin. What Winamp does with that audio after that is totally unrelated to ffdshow.
Old 1st July 2008, 08:15   #18  |  Link
El Bastardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Winamp does not do anything with the matrix.
Maybe in terms of "Winamp does not change anything" but what it NOT does is reading or processing it the right way.

I don't know at which step of the decooding chain the errors occur but fact is: WInamp (or WInamp's directshow plugin does not read the matrix the right way.

To test this I filled the matrix with zeros everywhere, applied and tested. Nothing to hear. OK so far.
Then I took the leftmost column (input left channel) and filled one single 1 from top to bottom (every output channel) at a time, applying and listening).

Channel front left out of speaker front left... OK it's playing
Channel front left out of speaker front right... OK
Channel front left out of center speaker... OK
Channel front left out of speaker back left... NOT OK, comes out of back right
Channel front left out of speaker back right... NOT OK, comes out of back left
Channel front left out of speaker side left... NOT OK, comes out of the subwoofer
Channel front left out of speaker back left... NOT OK, comes out of NOWHERE.

So maybe it's the Winamp plugin or an error in the program itself.
Fact is Winamp does not read and process the matrix as the matrix is.

Sooooo: Is there another way to let Winamp use ffdshow, another plugin another anything??
WIll post the same question in the Winamp forums!!