Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 1st January 2003, 02:27   #1  |  Link
brantdk

GetVTS sector

Hi,

I have a fast question about this function in IfoEdit v0,95...

I have rip the DVD and have strip all menus and lanuages that I deem un-needed. The question is, after I have done this process, the guide on Doom9 tells me that I have to run the function GetVTS sector....what I dont understand is, before I run GetVTS sector, I can view the film in the buildt in DVD player and PowerDVDon my pc, but if I run this function, I can not view it in these software 2 DVD players.

Does this means that if I dont run the GetVTS sector that the backup DVD will work on my standalone DVD?

or

Must I run this function (GetVTS sector) so that I can view it on my standalone DVD- meaning that I can not view it with PowerDVD and the buildt in player included in IfoEdit?

thanks for any tips that you can give me.

Happy New Year

John
brantdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2003, 07:26   #2  |  Link
framerman
I Am Cornholio!

You always need to run get vts sectors before you burn to disc. It won't play unless you do. It should play in your software though.
framerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2003, 15:44   #3  |  Link
destemido
2nd level noob

what software are you using to view your movies... and how are you trying to view them...
Old 1st January 2003, 23:05   #4  |  Link
Select

Maybe you all know this, but if not...

Remember to NOT have any files other than your DVD's IFO, BUP and VOB in your VIDEO_TS directory when you press "Get VTS", for example a Moviename.lay from DVD Maestro...
Old 2nd January 2003, 19:01   #5  |  Link
brantdk

I was trying to make cd 2 of the Matrix...but that didnt work out to well...all I wanted was the film and no extra....it is 300 mb to large to fit onto a single DVD-R

It ended up with that when I rip the DVD for everything but the movie, then I tried to split it up to 2 disc....didnt work out that good because the ifo file were named VTS_2 and not VTS_1...this resulted in that PowerDVD would play it before GetVTS but not afterwards....

I did the dump thing and burn it to a DVD-R when it was still named VTS_2...the result was that the DVD-R could not play in a standalone machine.

I give up...I cant seem to be able to split a film onto 2 disc...the second disc never work correctly.

Iīll have to stick to doing only movies that are under 2 hours.

John
Old 3rd January 2003, 03:45   #6  |  Link
47elbag

300 megs is nothing.....just use CCE to re-encode the movie at less of a bitrate and put the whole thing on one dvd-r.
47elbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2003, 22:54   #7  |  Link
destemido
2nd level noob

man... don't give up...
there are probably a couple of things you need to know....
one of them is that you NEED a VTS_01 in every DVD!!!
so if you don't have any in your 2nd disc...
search for "splitting into 2 discs".
read the guides... if you don't get it ... read it again and again...
then if you still don't get it... post here.
personally i don't see the point of going for two discs... it may be faster, but all the movies i re-encoded look like the original, no quality loss...
you can also delete the end credits, which will reduce the movie size. you can do a movie only; sometimes the menus take up a lot of space... or you can use a program called DVD2DVDR that will do the re-encoding and the authoring for you (or at least it should). you can search "DVD2DVDR" to know where you can get it... i've posted that several times... it's very easy to use it...
only one downside... it uses CCE and that isn't free!!
Old 3rd January 2003, 23:42   #8  |  Link
brantdk

Hej...Im not given up on this...itīs great to be able to make backupīs of my DVDs....Itīs just very fustrating not to be able to split or reencode correctly....If itīs under 2 hours, then I dont have a problem stripping everything and just making the film itself...

Everything over 2 hours is really a pain in the A*S...

I have tried re enconding with TMPG...and that didnt look to good afterwards...I set it up to the highest DVD quility and it look fine on my pc when I played the mpeg file, but it look terrible on my standalone dvd player.

Thereīs not much to do then keep trying...but damn DVD-Rīs are very exspensive here in Europe...

Is this DVD2DVDr a program or a guide?...

john
Old 4th January 2003, 02:58   #9  |  Link
TOPPERVEGA

using ifoedit to rewrite titleset #

u can use ifoedit to take a main movie that's a say vts2 like the matrix and get it to rewrite it as a vts1 if all your after is a copy of the main movie split on 2 discs. just check the create new ifo files (movie only) box. this will write the new files as a vts1 file.
i use it all the time when all i want is a movie no extras.
TOPPERVEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2003, 15:36   #10  |  Link
destemido
2nd level noob

DVD2DVDR is program...
you should write to RW's when you're testing!!!!
also don't use TMPG, use CCE it's the best, so people say.
i've tested rempeg2 and it takes more than twice the time and gives you less quality.