Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 15th March 2010, 03:08   #1  |  Link
crash613

Audio sync issues. please help

i am starting a new thread rather than chime in on the other audio sync issue because i think mine may be different.

here is what happens. i rip a movie using DVD Decrypter and the resulting vobs are checked... .all is ok on the sync front.

Then i run it throught AGK and it compiles. the resulting avi seems ok.. then one of two things seem to happen every time

1. it slowly goes out of sync the further into the movie you go. and this can be seen by skipping ahead to any point in the movie and seeing that it is out of sync.

2. it slowly goes out of sync the further into the movie you go. But this one seems to be fine when you skip ahead to later points in the movie without letting it play through. in fact, if it gets out of sync. if you pause it close the player then reopen and go to the spot you left off at, it will play correctly.... for awhile, then it goes out of sync again.

I have tried various settings in AGK using the 1 cd size, 2 cd size and anywhere from 800 to 1600 in the custom sizes. in the audio dept, i have tried VBR, CBR from 128 to 320. nothing seems to change it.

please advise.
crash613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 03:12   #2  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Try using DVDFab HD Decrypter instead of DVD Decrypter.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 14:23   #3  |  Link
crash613

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR03 View Post
Try using DVDFab HD Decrypter instead of DVD Decrypter.
thanks, but the rip is not the issue. the rip is fine. I've checked it on the hard disk, i've burned it to DVD and i ran it through different players. the rip is not the issue. The sync problem doesn't begin until it is encoded.
Old 15th March 2010, 18:52   #4  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Just because a rip behaves with no issues on its own doesn't mean the method of ripping isn't the issue. DVD Decrypter can't remove copy protections which cause synch issues that DVDFab HD Decrypter can. Try it before you decide the problem isn't in the rip. You've already tried many things that couldn't possibly solve the problem, such as different file output sizes.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 20:49   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

@crash613

Hi!

Load the file into VirtualDub, VirtualDubMod, or NanDub.
Set BOTH "Video"(VirtualDub,
VirtualDubMod and NanDub) and "Audio"
(VirtualDub and NanDub - VirtualDubMOD>"Streams>"Stream
list") to "Direct Stream Copy".

A) If the difference between audio and video is constant
throughout the video:

From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Interleaving" (For
VirtualDubMOD, rightclick on the listed audiostream and then
select "Interleaving")

Under "Audio skew correction", set an appropriate number of
milliseconds (positive or negative) in the box labelled "Delay
audio track by"

Save with a new filename

B) If the difference increases as the movie plays:

From under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Framerate" -
and select "Change so video and audio durations match"

Save with a new filename

Let us know of your success ;>}
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 11:15   #6  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash613 View Post
thanks, but the rip is not the issue.
CWR03's right - the fact that the VOBs or the DVD play fine has no bearing at all on whether or not it was decrypted properly or if the reencoded AVI itself will be in synch. Almost all synch problems have to do with a faulty initial decryption. But to save yourself from having to start all over again you might also try one of setarip_old's methods first to see if you can fix the synch problem.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 11:37   #7  |  Link
Ghitulescu

The OP said it's a progressive delay. This is usually caused by a false frame rate, or by some IVTC algorithms (IVTC per se should not change the duration). But if it is true that reopening and scrolling to the last position resynch the whole story, then is the muxing and/or the player.

So, be sure no changes are performed on video and recode/remux it with another GUI. Or change the player.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 14:54   #8  |  Link
crash613

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR03 View Post
Just because a rip behaves with no issues on its own doesn't mean the method of ripping isn't the issue. DVD Decrypter can't remove copy protections which cause synch issues that DVDFab HD Decrypter can..
i didn't mention it in the original post but i also ripped with AnyDVD ripper and used AnyDVD while ripping with DVD Decrypter.

Another thing i didn't mention is that using the same rip, i ran it through nero recode and made perfect *.mp4 copies. Unfortunately, Nero Recode doesn't do AVI.

So, again, i don't see the rip as the problem.

@setarip_old: as Ghitulescu pointed out, it is more of a progressive delay. At the beginning the sound is fine, and it slowly goes out of sync the further into the movie.

Just to rule it out, i have downloaded DVDFab HD Decrypter and am going to rip it right now. I'll report back in a few hours after the rip and I run it thru AGK again.

Thanks for all the replies and help.
Old 16th March 2010, 17:25   #9  |  Link
crash613

Well i gave DVDfab a try.. it won't even read the disk.

when i put the disk in DVDFab ver 6.2.1.8 it immediately says "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card." then it continues and lets me start the operation. a few minutes into it is stops with the message "Error while reading! Please Choose what to do?" with the retry, abort,ignore,ignore all. Retry yields the same result. Disk is spotless. no scratches.

and before anyone gives a scenario in which it is the fault of the mastering of the disk or something, like i said in my original post.... this happens all the time, with different disks.

Last edited by crash613; 16th March 2010 at 17:36.
Old 16th March 2010, 20:26   #10  |  Link
setarip_old

@crash613
Quote:
@setarip_old: as Ghitulescu pointed out, it is more of a progressive delay. At the beginning the sound is fine, and it slowly goes out of sync the further into the movie.
Yes - So try Method "B" from my earlier post...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 22:27   #11  |  Link
crash613

i'm going to give that a shot tomorrow. on a different disk.. I am done with this one.. i have spent literally hours messing with this disk and i can't even get it to rip to the hard drive now, with any program. Luckily i did keep the mp4 rip of that movie the time it did rip. That rip is fine, so i guess i don't "NEED" an avi version.

I have another one that i planned on doing tomorrow anyway.

i will report back, and again, thanks for all the advice.