Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd September 2012, 17:24   #13981  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
Off, because I'm using integrated graphics all the time. Also I'm making screenshots (press 1, than alt+2, than alt+prtSc - and you'll get frame in 100% size) quite often...
However it would be cool if it would possible to have different settings for different GPU's (e.g. overlay off for intel, but on for nVidia).
Probably a stupid question: But how is it better than simply pressing print screen?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:28   #13982  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
Here is the freeze report:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t6urb1

Also tested with the latest mpc-hc from xhmikosr and same thing, black screen when I close the media file while it's running and in FSE mode.
Thanks. I feared something like this might happen. Would you mind reproducing the problem with a debug build of MPC-HC? I mean one where there are debug symbols (*.pdb) available for MPC-HC? That would make the freeze report much more helpful. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
Off, because I'm using integrated graphics all the time. Also I'm making screenshots (press 1, than alt+2, than alt+prtSc - and you'll get frame in 100% size) quite often...
However it would be cool if it would possible to have different settings for different GPU's (e.g. overlay off for intel, but on for nVidia).
Not sure how to handle different settings per GPU. I could move these settings to the "device" tree, so you can configure them per *display* (instead of per GPU). But I don't think anybody would look there for these settings. So I'm not sure how to solve this. I think I'll leave the settings where they are for now. Sooner or later I'll restructure the settings and maybe then I'll find a better solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranpha View Post
madVR 0.83 with overlay enabled will give a black screen if playing a video with multiple subtitles, and I switch the subtitle stream. Happens with both nVidia and Intel GPUs. Also happens with either MPC-HC internal subtitle renderer and vsfilter.
Could I have a small sample, please? I don't have one at hand with multiple subtitle streams, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Just tried the new test build and I can't find/search for "Overlay" with/without case-sensitivity in the log with notepad.
Really? That's weird! Are you sure you "properly" replaced the madVR.ax? It definitely works here. Downloaded my own link, and the "Overlay" is there in the debug log.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:34   #13983  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
New test build for AMD users:

http://madshi.net/madVR83b.rar

In the debug log please search for "Overlay". Does it say "Overlay Caps: -" or "Overlay Caps: +"? Thanks!
"Overlay Caps: - " for me.
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:36   #13984  |  Link
fairchild

Quote:
Thanks. I feared something like this might happen. Would you mind reproducing the problem with a debug build of MPC-HC? I mean one where there are debug symbols (*.pdb) available for MPC-HC? That would make the freeze report much more helpful. Thanks!
Don't know where or how to go about doing this. If you can point me in the right direction I'll be more than willing to give it a go.
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:36   #13985  |  Link
dansrfe

Yeah I can't find it :/ Triple-checked and everything.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:37   #13986  |  Link
JarrettH

DGindex has this option...
Honor Pulldown Flags - The pulldown flags (if any) are obeyed and the fields are repeated. This means that the frame-served video will appear exactly as it is intended to appear on the final display device. Therefore, if you have a 3:2 pulled-down clip, you'll get the standard repeating pattern of 3 progressive frames followed by 2 interlaced frames. If you have PAL or MPEG1, you'll just get the encoded pictures with no repeated fields (because PAL and MPEG1 have no RFF flags to honor). The frame rate will always be the same as the display frame rate of the source.
Ignore Pulldown Flags - The pulldown flags are ignored. This allows one to obtain the raw encoded MPEG pictures, with no repeated fields. However, because repeated fields intended for display are ignored and not displayed, the resulting frame rate may differ from the source frame rate. It may even vary throughout the clip, due to irregular patterns of pulldown flags. If the pulldown is irregular, use of this option will cause the audio-video sync to change at different parts of the clip, and most likely sync will not be acceptable. This option is mostly intended for power users, who would use it as a diagnostic aid for inspecting the encoded MPEG pictures. Although this option ignores the flags, they are still stored in the D2V file although DGDecode will also ignore them.
Force Film - This option is intended for the special case of film content encoded at 23.976 fps but pulled down for display at 29.97 fps, i.e., 3:2 pulldown. This option will restore the 23.976 fps film rate while keeping audio and video in sync throughout the clip. This option works by ignoring pulldown flags and inserting/removing frames to maintain a constant and sync'ed output stream. Do not use this option on non-3:2 pulled-down material, and, therefore, never use it on PAL or MPEG1. Also do not use this option on streams containing frame repeats.
I chose Ignore for this sample, hopefully it's right!

http://depositfiles.com/files/9k1c3pr9p
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:40   #13987  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
Don't know where or how to go about doing this. If you can point me in the right direction I'll be more than willing to give it a go.
Debug builds (*.pdb) of MPC are available here:
http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/mpc-hc/
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:49   #13988  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
"Overlay Caps: - " for me.
Ouch. So AMD doesn't seem to support Windows 7 D3D9 Hardware Overlay. That's a very big surprise. A google search indicates that Microsoft requires WDDM 1.1 drivers to support this feature for WHQL certification. I'm confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Yeah I can't find it :/ Triple-checked and everything.
Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Thanks, I'll have a look, download is running (slowly). Can you please describe what the problem is?
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:51   #13989  |  Link
Boltron

Quote:
New test build for AMD users:

http://madshi.net/madVR83b.rar

In the debug log please search for "Overlay". Does it say "Overlay Caps: -" or "Overlay Caps: +"? Thanks!
No Overlay found in debug file here.
Boltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:55   #13990  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I'm sorry, it's my fault: You have to disable the Overlay option, otherwise the debug log will not contain the "Overlay" information. Weird? Yes!
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:03   #13991  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Probably a stupid question: But how is it better than simply pressing print screen?
I want to get screenshot without any scaling not just *any* random screenshot.

Quote:
I could move these settings to the "device" tree, so you can configure them per *display* (instead of per GPU).
In my case I have only one display there... And if I connect second via HDMI - I can use any GPU too. So it wouldn't help at all
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:06   #13992  |  Link
dansrfe

Overlay Caps: -
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:07   #13993  |  Link
Budtz

i have issuses as i have had many times before with madvr freezing when switching to another videofile in the folder. I have had no problesm with the last version for many months but now the problem is back again it seems. with the new version
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:15   #13994  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
i have issuses as i have had many times before with madvr freezing when switching to another videofile in the folder. I have had no problesm with the last version for many months but now the problem is back again it seems. with the new version
Can I please have a freeze report with an MPC-HC debug build? See 1-2 pages back in this thread for details on where to get an MPC-HC debug build and how to create a freeze report. Thanks!
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:22   #13995  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

For some reason, I had to reset to default settings on my computer before version 0.83 was usable. What was happening was I would play a video and it would immediately pause. Resuming it would just be a black screen.

This was on a PC running a GTS 450. Might help the AMD users out there. Or not.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:27   #13996  |  Link
Budtz

ok here it is
Attached Files
File Type: txt madVR - freeze report (1).txt (30.0 KB, 37 views)
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:30   #13997  |  Link

Quote:
Honor or Ignore will both work correctly for this stream because it has no repeat flags. Generally, though, only use Ignore for diagnostic purposes as it can get you into trouble.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:32   #13998  |  Link
JarrettH

Thanks, I'll have a look, download is running (slowly). Can you please describe what the problem is?
Just that the picture breaks up (looks like interlacing artifacts) whether deinterlacing is on or off.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:34   #13999  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:

http://depositfiles.com/files/9k1c3pr9p
This sample is field blended. Meaning that it's not suitable for IVTC. The only way to achieve output without combing is to use video mode deinterlacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
ok here it is
Thanks, but the MPC-HC debug information is missing. Did you have the *.pdb files in the right folder? You might have to unzip them, or something.
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:35   #14000  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
For some reason, I had to reset to default settings on my computer before version 0.83 was usable. What was happening was I would play a video and it would immediately pause. Resuming it would just be a black screen.

This was on a PC running a GTS 450. Might help the AMD users out there. Or not.
That might have been the option "delay playback start until render queue is full", but I'm not sure why it should result in problems with 0.83, it should not.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling