Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th July 2016, 14:55   #38501  |  Link
Xello

So the issue I'm having seems to be sticking around.

Basically with a 2nd monitor attached, playing a file on my main monitor while it is at high refresh (144/165) in windowed mode will have lots of presentation glitches and some dropped frames. It stops happening if I either 1) disable the 2nd monitor or 2) drop the refresh rate down to 60. The refresh on my 2nd display is 60.

Dug up a post from earlier this year that seems to refer to it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unr3aL View Post
I think this was discussed a long time ago. It's hard to say now, but wasn't the issue tied to multi-monitor setups alone?
I thought it had something to do with timings not playing well if one of the monitors had a high (120, 144Hz) refresh rate and happened to be the one the movie was played on...
It could've also just been a wild guess at that time.

I myself happen to have a 120Hz monitor and I use a projector for movies.
Playing @120Hz on the monitor never really worked for me without a lot of visible jerking and judder as well as tons of presentation glitches.
The only thing that helped was going back to old path and playing around with the number of backbuffers used.
That issue (for me) dates back to when the new render path was introduced.

I've never tried upping the GPU queue though, so far I am auto-changing to 60Hz - minor annoyance...

Greetz, Unr3aL67
Things tried so far:

Upping gpu (+cpu) queue size to 24 and upping "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" to 16.

Upping cpu queue further to 128

Unticking "present several frames in advance" in windowed menu

Upping "how many backbuffers shall be used" from 3 to 8

Anyone got another suggestion ?

Occasionally the issue wont be there when i first open a file, but as soon as I do a seek it kicks off again.

Last edited by Xello; 6th July 2016 at 14:58.
Xello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 14:58   #38502  |  Link
huhn

what windows version and GPU are you using?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 15:40   #38503  |  Link
Xello

Win 10 pro x64, gtx 980, i7 5960X @ 4ghz+
Old 6th July 2016, 15:42   #38504  |  Link
huhn

^windows 10 should be decent with 2 different refreshrates.

you can try windows 7 overlay as a work around.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 15:59   #38505  |  Link
Xello

Thanks but tried that and it seemed to have no effect.

But, paid more attention to the queues and it's when the render and present queues are full that the presentation glitches start climbing. Turns out, the higher queue values DO alleviate the problem, I just didn't notice before because after seeking the queues shoot up to full then take a few seconds to return to the normal lower values, at which point the glitches stop.

The only problem remaining is that I need to either pause and unpause playback or perform a seek to 'flush' the queues and return them to their normal values (i dont know if any of the 'flush' options would help, i dont even know what they do)

If I open a video file and just leave it to play, the queues remain maxed out, even at 128 / 24 / 16, seemingly indefinitely, and the glitches come non stop:

I close then open the same video file, but immediately hit space twice to pause and unpause, and the bottom 2 queues return to normal and the glitches stop happening:

Sometimes I can open the same file and it will be normal from the start, without having to pause or seek to have the queues be normal. No idea what the causing factor is.

Last edited by Xello; 6th July 2016 at 16:49.
Old 6th July 2016, 20:56   #38506  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

I'm having a weird issue, I'm sometimes getting random white pixels, seems to happen more on darker content.

I recently got a new UHD TV, happens ever since I watch at 2160p.

- I tried EVR CP, doesn't happen there, so it's not a TV/HDMI issue, only happens with madVR.
- When I pause on a frame with a white pixel (or step forward frame by frame until I hit a white pixel) the pixel stays, when I resize the window or go fullscreen and go back the pixel disappears, I assume buffers are cleared and it's being redrawn, so it disappears.
- When I pause on a white pixel frame and step a frame forward the pixel is gone, if I step backward it's there again, so I assume it's in the buffer.
- When I close the file and open it up again, the white pixel doesn't appear in the same place.
- When I pause and move the windowed player by dragging it with my mouse, the pixel disappears or moves to another place, or more pixels show up. If I move the windowed player back to its original place, the pixel reappears at the same place. So if there is a pixel at 15,15 and I move the player by 1 pixel, the white pixel will disappear, if I move to player back by 1 pixel, the white pixel is back at 15,15...

seems to happen more on darker content, in brighter scenes are are sometimes no white pixels for the entire scene, while on darker scenes there is a white pixel every 2-4 frames (sometimes multiple pixels per frame)..

Setup:
GPU: 780 Ti set to full range 2160p 24hz 4:4:4
Win7 Pro x64
MPC-HC x32 1.7.10 (latest stable)
LAV 0.66.0.0 (integrated with MPC-HC)
madVR 0.90.21 (latest release)

madVR settings:
- Error diffuision option 1 + colored noise (I switched to ordered dithering and disabled colored noise - same issue)
- smooth motion disabled
- exclusive mode enabled (like I said also happens in windowed mode without scaling)
- Use Direct3D 11 + present a frame for every v-sync (I disabled both, same issue with Direct3D 9)
- Chroma upscaling: Super-XBR sharpness 100 (changed it to lanczos3 - same issue)
- Luma doubling NNEDI3 64neurons (as I said, issue appears without any luma scaling)
- no upscaling refinement options
- no image enhancements
- no zoom control
- reduce banding: default low, fade in/out high
- reduce ringing disabled
- deinterlacing disabled
- display expects PC levels, 8bit

In my tests it only happened with 1080p and 2160p content (AVC and VC-1) not in 720p content, but I haven't seen much 720p content since I got the TV, so it might just happen less often, idk..

Last edited by Q-the-STORM; 6th July 2016 at 21:01.
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 20:59   #38507  |  Link
Devrim

Does anyone know if it is possible to force MadVR to use a specific GPU? I have a second monitor connected to a HD4000 but I would like MPC-HC to use my main GPU on that monitor too...
Devrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 21:55   #38508  |  Link
Plutotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrim View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to force MadVR to use a specific GPU? I have a second monitor connected to a HD4000 but I would like MPC-HC to use my main GPU on that monitor too...
Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D settings, Select a program to customize.

Attention, you have to create mpc-hc2.exe for this work. Nvidia Control Panel does not recognize mpc-hc.exe as application :-(
Old 6th July 2016, 21:59   #38509  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-the-STORM View Post
I'm having a weird issue, I'm sometimes getting random white pixels, seems to happen more on darker content.
Would recommend disabling/defaulting each setting you have one at a time to narrow down exactly what's causing it.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 22:16   #38510  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Would recommend disabling/defaulting each setting you have one at a time to narrow down exactly what's causing it.
already have...
debanding, chrome/luma upscaling, dithering, direct3d 9/11.. I don't what else I can change... Anything I haven't mentioned in settings is disabled...
Old 6th July 2016, 22:19   #38511  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
already have...
Uninstall your drivers and reinstall by ticking the clean install option, also try madVR defaults.
Old 6th July 2016, 22:28   #38512  |  Link
racerxnet

When I enable or disable deinterlacing with MadVr the picture becomes darker or lighter depending on the setting. Nothing else has changed. Is that normal or a bug?

MAK
racerxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 22:28   #38513  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrim View Post
Unless its a laptop with GPU switching mechanics, you can't. madVR has to render on the GPU thats connected to the screen.
Old 6th July 2016, 23:11   #38514  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Uninstall your drivers and reinstall by ticking the clean install option, also try madVR defaults.
I did a clean install of drivers, only thing I didn't try is madVR default settings, because it's gonna take ages to set it up again (I got profiles for different resolutions)

lets see what madshi says first before I try that...
Old 6th July 2016, 23:22   #38515  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
I did a clean install of drivers, only thing I didn't try is madVR default settings, because it's gonna take ages to set it up again (I got profiles for different resolutions)

lets see what madshi says first before I try that...
The reset batch file creates a backup of your settings.bin to a file called settings.bak, all you have to do is delete the new settings.bin and rename settings.bak and everything is as it was.

Doesn't hurt to make a backup of this in another location also.
Old 6th July 2016, 23:24   #38516  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Sounds like GPU memory corruption, perhaps due to overload. That would explain why other renderers like EVR are unaffected, as they go way easier on the GPU relative to madVR. Check that your GPU is not overheating. If you're overclocking your GPU, try reverting to the standard clocks. Check for GPU problems by running a stress test such as OCCT, FurMark, 3DMark etc.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 23:24   #38517  |  Link
Sunspark

Bad HDMI cables have something known as "snow" or "sparkles".. maybe try another cable?
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 23:52   #38518  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Sounds like GPU memory corruption, perhaps due to overload. That would explain why other renderers like EVR are unaffected, as they go way easier on the GPU relative to madVR. Check that your GPU is not overheating. If you're overclocking your GPU, try reverting to the standard clocks. Check for GPU problems by running a stress test such as OCCT, FurMark, 3DMark etc.
I got render times of about 35ms, after 20min of watching, GPU-Z says my GPU is at 37°C, my entire system is watercooled, I doubt there are heat issues...
They also show up when I disable image doubling, lowering my render times to about 9ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Bad HDMI cables have something known as "snow" or "sparkles".. maybe try another cable?
As I said, it only happens with madVR and pixels stay in paused mode... if I had cable snow/sparkles, the pixels would not pause... And they would show up in other applications..

I've been paying special attention today while watching, and it really seems like the white pixels only show up on dark areas in the frame, that are not completely black... as soon as it gets brighter or completely black, there are no white pixels.... I could be wrong, but at least that's what it seems like so far...

Last edited by Q-the-STORM; 6th July 2016 at 23:59.
Old 7th July 2016, 00:12   #38519  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
As I said, it only happens with madVR and pixels stay in paused mode... if I had cable snow/sparkles, the pixels would not pause... And they would show up in other applications..
Testing defaults and reverting will take you all of a few minutes..
Old 7th July 2016, 00:18   #38520  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
The reset batch file creates a backup of your settings.bin to a file called settings.bak, all you have to do is delete the new settings.bin and rename settings.bak and everything is as it was.
weird.... I don't have a settings.bin in my madVR folder...

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling